Avoiding sales pitch for spa products

I'm thinking of treating myself to a massage on our cruise this month and was wondering how much and when I should tip so I don't have to hear the sales pitch for products. Thank you.

I had a massge and was not badgered, but when I got another treatment they spent the entire hour pushing the products. I kept saying no thank you. In addition the products they wanted me to buy were about 1000.00 total. I think my vacation would have come to a screeching halt with a purchase like that!

Being a massage therapist, let me say that you should convey your wishes to the therapist up front. I know of the therapists onboard, 50%, if not more, of their job is product sales, but if you state that you are there just for your requested treatment and are not interested in any product at that time, they should, and will usually, respect that and not try to sell you.

And don't tip upfront just so you don't have to hear sales pitch. If you've stated upfront you aren't interested in buying and then have to repeat yourself over and over, start deducting from the tip. But that's from a consumers point of view. :)

I got a facial on a HAL ship (my one and only.) The girl went on and on about the products she ussed. Then had the nerve to ask if I felt relaxed? I flat out told her all I was interested in was to GET OUT OF THE CHAIR! I spent an hour with non stop talking! Never again. Now when my sisters suggest going to the spa I always duck out. I'd rather sit by the pool and watch the ocean go by. Now that's relaxing!

First off all, don't admit to a lot of skin care complaints on the form they give you. Secondly, I say at the first suggestion of products: "I am not interested in buying anything, but I will give you a big tip" and that always say "Oh, of course! Great!" and it's all over in 2 seconds.

From reading this forum, I expected a big sales pitch when I decided to use the spa on the Serenade. Never happened! She did my nails, which I paid for, then plucked my brows and fixed my makeup as a bonus. I did buy the nail polish as I loved the color, but it was my wish to do so and I was never even asked. I was shocked at the $15 price for the little bottle. It was an expensive but nice experience. I will treat myself again.

I got a facial on a HAL ship (my one and only.) The girl went on and on about the products she ussed. Then had the nerve to ask if I felt relaxed? I flat out told her all I was interested in was to GET OUT OF THE CHAIR! I spent an hour with non stop talking! Never again. Now when my sisters suggest going to the spa I always duck out. I'd rather sit by the pool and watch the ocean go by. Now that's relaxing!

I've had this problem with land-based massages as well. Rather than ducking out, if you would like to enjoy the spa services, just be up-front with the staff before you start treatment. Let them know that you don't want a sales pitch and would be happy to let them know after the treatment any product you might be interested in. Also mention that you are there to get a break and looking forward to a quiet relaxing treatment. I'm sure they'll understand and you'll get the treatment without the chatter.

My first cruise I actually did buy a couple of the products from my facial and they were GREAT (but pricey!) Mind you, I was not prepared for the sales pitch. :eek: My plan this time is to tell them what I already want, because I will have run out of my one products by then. Hopefully that will spare me the full sales spiel.

When I indulge in spa treatments, I almost always tell them up-front that I will purhcase whatever products I want. This past January on the AOS, they used a slightly newer approach -- they asked what I was using. I use Prescriptives (and some others) products at home and have been very happy with the results. The woman who did my facial went as far as "researching" in some book the products I was using. She had never heard of Prescriptives so she had to check it out. She said the things I used were mostly okay! I know from my experience what works and what doesn't. I did buy a couple of things that I wanted. She didn't push too much.

--Judy

My SIL was unprepared for the sales pitch on her first cruise and emerged with over $1,000 in products purchased. She used the products and enjoyed them, but never did that again. I agree with those who suggest that the tip will be less if the high pitch sales effort continues.

I hope Steiners is able to read this thread. I have had so many bad experiences with them (from overcharging, pushing products, to losing appointments). Once when I succumbed to the sales pressure, I bought an overpriced item. When my head cleared and I tried to return it a short time later, I was told they don't do returns.

Never again! I agree that watching the ocean pass gently by is relaxing and FREE!

Being a massage therapist, let me say that you should convey your wishes to the therapist up front. I know of the therapists onboard, 50%, if not more, of their job is product sales, but if you state that you are there just for your requested treatment and are not interested in any product at that time, they should, and will usually, respect that and not try to sell you.

And don't tip upfront just so you don't have to hear sales pitch. If you've stated upfront you aren't interested in buying and then have to repeat yourself over and over, start deducting from the tip. But that's from a consumers point of view. :)

I agree totally. I stopped getting treatments aboard ship for two reasons: (1) poor value for the price based on what I can buy at home, (2) the constant push for sales of product.

You are paying dearly for these services and should be able to enjoy them as you wish. Be firm and clear up front with yout therapist. If you are still bothered, I would get up and walk out.

I am honest and tell them up front. If they push I tell them I will deduct from the tip. I do it in a friendly and polite way but I also do what I say I am going to do. I have never really had a problem this way. If they start asking about my regime I also am honest and say I work with a dermitologist and am not interested.

Archived