Minimum Formality - 4 night cruise

I've booked a 5 day cruise on the Liberty of the Seas from Fort Lauderdale in early January. We normally cruise with NCL and to be honest I had completely forgotten about the concept of formal nights. The cruise is part of a much longer trip and, if possible, I'd prefer not to pack a suit for just one night.

My question. Is there somewhere on the LOS that we can dine informally on the "formal night". We respect our fellow cruisers so I wouldn't want to turn up for dinner underdresed!

Any advice would be most welcome.

Sammy

Yes you could always eat in the windjammer...but honestly if you bring a shirt and tie with a nice pair of pants you will be fine...There will be people with jeans on....My husband forgot his formal clothes last cruise and he just wore a polo shirt with dockers....not the end of the world...you will be fine...enjoy your cruise

On the shorter cruises, there will be a lot of folks without suits or tuxes....don't worry. If you feel underdressed, the buffet is casual, and room service is always an option.

As long as you have long pants and a collar on your shirt, you're good.

I've booked a 5 day cruise on the Liberty of the Seas from Fort Lauderdale in early January. We normally cruise with NCL and to be honest I had completely forgotten about the concept of formal nights. The cruise is part of a much longer trip and, if possible, I'd prefer not to pack a suit for just one night.

My question. Is there somewhere on the LOS that we can dine informally on the "formal night". We respect our fellow cruisers so I wouldn't want to turn up for dinner underdresed!

Any advice would be most welcome.

Sammy

The Windjammer (buffet) is open or a casual dinner. You can also grab something to eat at Johnny Rockets ($5/person), Sorrento's Pizza (free), or Cafe Promenade (free). Room service is also available. Dressing up on formal night is a hot button issue, so you'll get very mixed messages on this board about it. If you have nice pants and a dress shirt (and maybe a tie too), you won't be completely out of place, and I don't think it is disrespectful to others either. Most people in the MDR are dressed formally, however, so if you would feel uncomfortable in anything less than a suit, then you should go with the other options. Bottom line: regardless of your attire, you will NEVER starve on a cruise ship.

I was on the Liberty 4 nite cruise last November and there were more people casual than dressed. very few women in gowns - mostly nice dresses

men wearing jackets - no tuxes. Even in the specialty restaurants there were

people like my friend who had to dress up, but mostly the guys were

casual nice, shirt & slacks - some with a sport jacket. For the ultra casual-

those who choose to live in shorts, there is the Windjammer.

Its your vacation, do what you want!

Formal certainly isn't as formal as it was in the past particularly on the shorter cruises. You won't be turned away as long as it is in reasonably good taste. In other words I wouldn't attempt cut-offs, flip flops and a tattered T shirt;):).

Archived