QE Maiden New England & Canadian Adventure

BillieB

We have just returned from a 24 night voyage on the QE on her maiden voyage to New England & Canada Full marks to Captain Chris Wells and his bridge officers for steering the ship away from the hurricanes, we did have several 'lumpy' days, but all in all it wasnt too bad.

There were some horrible, ignorant and quite snotty passengers on board who definately thought they were better than the next man, but fortunatly these passengers were greatly out numbered by very nice and friendly passengers. I just wish Cunard and other lines would seriously look at the smoking policies in the staterooms and balconys and have a section of cabins or more areas on board for cigarette smokers as the Churchills club is for cigar smokers etc:. The thought of sitting on the balcony whilst at sea, taking afternoon tea was greatly marred by our neighbours smoking several cigarettes each on their balcony with their smoke wafting over to us. Also walking down the corridor on deck 5 was like tobacco road.

The ports of call were perfect, it wasnt always necessary to book an excursion as most of the ports were 'walk off', and public transport was available as were tour buses with much cheaper fares than Cunard charge. Quebec looked like we were docked on the boardwalk.

What would have been nice if Cunard would have given each Stateroom a commemerative certificate acknowleging the voyage was QE maiden voyage to New England and Canada. Another gripe was too much classical entertainment, 1 harpist, a string quartet, flautist, violinist, altogether 4 pianists, 2 singers no one had ever heard of, 1 singer who thought he was Dean Martin, two pathetic musicals, 2 pathetic plays on the same night, on the positive side, a fabulous Cruise Director, brilliant magician, brilliant commedian, a fabulous xzylophonist, and a great crew talent show. Theres got to be someone who will disagree with me, and yes we did leave the theatre before the end, even before half way. The food in the Britannia Restaurant was very good and there was a good selection. Now please remember these are my opinions, so there is no need for any nastiness O.K.?

Hi BillieB

We have just returned from a 24 night voyage on the QE on her maiden voyage to New England & Canada... There were some horrible, ignorant and quite snotty passengers on board who definately thought they were better than the next man, but fortunatly these passengers were greatly out numbered by very nice and friendly passengers.
Sadly I've met one or two ignorant and bragging passengers myself, but not for a few years, or luckily, the last few voyages. As in life, you get a cross section of characters everywhere, even, sadly, on ships. The good thing is, the great people you meet far outweigh the others, some of the most entertaining and witty people I've ever met, I've encountered on Cunard's ships.
I just wish Cunard and other lines would seriously look at the smoking policies in the staterooms and balconys and have a section of cabins or more areas on board for cigarette smokers as the Churchills club is for cigar smokers etc:. The thought of sitting on the balcony whilst at sea, taking afternoon tea was greatly marred by our neighbours smoking several cigarettes each on their balcony with their smoke wafting over to us. Also walking down the corridor on deck 5 was like tobacco road.
I understand that greater smoking restrictions come into force in the spring of next year.
Another gripe was too much classical entertainment, 1 harpist, a string quartet, flautist, violinist, altogether 4 pianists, 2 singers no one had ever heard of, 1 singer who thought he was Dean Martin, two pathetic musicals, 2 pathetic plays on the same night, on the positive side, a fabulous Cruise Director, brilliant magician, brilliant commedian, a fabulous xzylophonist, and a great crew talent show.
I enjoy the choice of entertainment that you noted on board Cunard ships, and esp. enjoy classical music. Each cruise line offers a different on board atmosphere, giving us all a choice of which line we feel happiest with.
The food in the Britannia Restaurant was very good and there was a good selection.
That has also been my experience. I'm so glad you had a good time, Bon Voyage for your next cruise :) .

Hi Pepper

Thank you for your comments, have u any idea what the new smoking restrictions will be?

From what I have read there will be no smoking on the QM2 and the QE once their world cruises are over in April, 2012. There will still be Churchill's but that is supposedly for cigars though there were lots of cigarette smokers in there during the QE's world cruise. I believe that the QV starts the ban on smoking in January, 2012 as she isn't doing a world cruise. Please correct that if I am wrong.

Ohaucruiser

Thanks you, that brilliant news, I was very suprised at the amount of passengers who felt the same as I did on board. Plus for safety reasons as well, I'm sure not a all smokers used the ashtrays provided, there is always someone who bucks the trend. Just like the man who tried to go in for dinner on on a formal evening with a checked shirt, no tie or jacket and when asked to leave because of his dress went back to his stateroom came back wearing a cream zip jacket and tried to get in the dining room again.

Thanks BillieB for the post. I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip (mostly). It's a shame about the snobs - thankfully never met anyone like that in QM2 and as you say, thankfully there are lots of nice folk too.

Were there any lectures and talks on the transatlantic days as there are on QM2?

Hi Heywood

I was on QE, and yes there were really good talks. The usual port talks with loads of information on the ports of call, an Airline Captain David Henderson, he was brilliant and not at all PC which made a refreshing change, Brian Hoy Princess Ann's Biographer. The cruise director had a 'one to one' with Captain Chris Wells who gave us an insite into his career and private life. It was a pleasure to go to the theatre to listen to the guest speakers.

Hi Heywood

I was on QE, and yes there were really good talks. The usual port talks with loads of information on the ports of call, an Airline Captain David Henderson, he was brilliant and not at all PC which made a refreshing change, Brian Hoy Princess Ann's Biographer. The cruise director had a 'one to one' with Captain Chris Wells who gave us an insite into his career and private life. It was a pleasure to go to the theatre to listen to the guest speakers.

Sorry about the missing words - I have amended my post. Of course I meant 'on QE as there are on QM2.'

We did most of those ports last year and they are excellent aren't they - especially Quebec (and Bar Harbor and Boston...:D)

I feel as though I am forever saying this but we should have been with you and had to cancel so am really interested in reading about it all. Thanks again.

Hi Pepper Thank you for your comments, have u any idea what the new smoking restrictions will be?

Hello again, as far as I am aware, and I am very willing to be corrected, from next spring, smoking cigarettes will only be allowed on cabin balconies and in very restricted areas of each ship (on QM2, parts of the rear of decks 7 & 8 and the balcony of G32, not sure about QV/QE).

Cigar & pipe smoking will only be allowed in Churchills & on cabin balconies (and on QM2, parts of the rear of deck 7 & 8. Again, I'm not sure about QV/QE).

(I do NOT wish to turn this into a PRO/ANTI smoking thread.

These are the facts [as I understand them, I could be wrong].

If you want more smoking areas, book another cruise line.

If you want less smoking areas, book another cruise line.

If you're happy with the smoking areas available from next spring, book Cunard).

Thanks again for your thoughts on QM2, very best wishes.

I dont want it to be a an anti smoking debate either, so we'll leave it there.

It was a excellant voyage and I would highly reccommend it whichever ship is your choice although I believe QM2 didnt stay over night in NY as we did and we did an overnight in Quebeck too. Corner Brook is a bit back of beyond, but we were taken to a little place where the church ladies put on refreshments for us free of charge and had stalls of hand made goods, the vicar played the guitar and sung. It was a very pleasant visit.

Quincey Market in Boston was a good trip too, in fact I cant fault any of the ports we visited.

We have just returned from a 24 night voyage on the QE on her maiden voyage to New England & Canada Full marks to Captain Chris Wells and his bridge officers for steering the ship away from the hurricanes, we did have several 'lumpy' days, but all in all it wasnt too bad.

There were some horrible, ignorant and quite snotty passengers on board who definately thought they were better than the next man, but fortunatly these passengers were greatly out numbered by very nice and friendly passengers. I just wish Cunard and other lines would seriously look at the smoking policies in the staterooms and balconys and have a section of cabins or more areas on board for cigarette smokers as the Churchills club is for cigar smokers etc:. The thought of sitting on the balcony whilst at sea, taking afternoon tea was greatly marred by our neighbours smoking several cigarettes each on their balcony with their smoke wafting over to us. Also walking down the corridor on deck 5 was like tobacco road.

The ports of call were perfect, it wasnt always necessary to book an excursion as most of the ports were 'walk off', and public transport was available as were tour buses with much cheaper fares than Cunard charge. Quebec looked like we were docked on the boardwalk.

What would have been nice if Cunard would have given each Stateroom a commemerative certificate acknowleging the voyage was QE maiden voyage to New England and Canada. Another gripe was too much classical entertainment, 1 harpist, a string quartet, flautist, violinist, altogether 4 pianists, 2 singers no one had ever heard of, 1 singer who thought he was Dean Martin, two pathetic musicals, 2 pathetic plays on the same night, on the positive side, a fabulous Cruise Director, brilliant magician, brilliant commedian, a fabulous xzylophonist, and a great crew talent show. Theres got to be someone who will disagree with me, and yes we did leave the theatre before the end, even before half way. The food in the Britannia Restaurant was very good and there was a good selection. Now please remember these are my opinions, so there is no need for any nastiness O.K.?

I have just returned from the QE voyage to the Baltic,s I loved the ship and thought she really has been the most beautiful ship I have ever sailed on, Capnt Wells is a wonderful captain, very good at his job and also very relaxed and friendly, we met him many times.

I fully agree with you about some people you meet on board and one thing is you can escape them when your back home, most of the time anyway, we also saw a wonderful Talent show and a part of it was the choir which I understand is formed on all long voyages.

The theatre is amazing, but I found myself leaving during one show, you cant win them all, and your right, you should have a certificate as it was a maiden voyage to that area, did you get a voyage map at the end , you should done.

I am pleased you had a great time, and dont about nastiness, most have the people who do that have left for other places or dont vist here often and that is now a thing of the past.

I had two very good friends on your voyage a doctor and his wife, they had a wonderful time.

I also hope you had a few vists out to the balcony on deck 6:) the bow.

Smoking is being reduced along with a far bigger smoking restriction policy that includes Ecigerettes as well-Oahucruiser has it right although I am not sure if all balconies or balconies on one side of the ship are affection.

BTW we had the 2 plays as well, that was bearable (Just) i wish they would change that

I've posted a review of the cruise but it isn't vetted and on-line yet.

I'm a vehement anti-smoker but didn't have any problem on board other than the stink outside some of the cabins on the corridors. I could smell Chuchill's cigar lounge from yards away so kept well clear.

We've previously avoided booking with Holland America because of on-line comments about the very lax smoking policy and smelly cabins. I'm very happy that Cunard are tightening up and we'll be sailing with them again.

As for the self-important snobs - well they're to be found on every ship. They come from all walks of life, all cabin grades and their sole purpose on this earth is to remind the rest of us to at least try to be humble.

I've posted a review of the cruise but it isn't vetted and on-line yet.

I'm a vehement anti-smoker but didn't have any problem on board other than the stink outside some of the cabins on the corridors. I could smell Chuchill's cigar lounge from yards away so kept well clear.

We've previously avoided booking with Holland America because of on-line comments about the very lax smoking policy and smelly cabins. I'm very happy that Cunard are tightening up and we'll be sailing with them again.

As for the self-important snobs - well they're to be found on every ship. They come from all walks of life, all cabin grades and their sole purpose on this earth is to remind the rest of us to at least try to be humble.

• 5 months later...

I found that this cruise had been heavily discounted, so many passengers who would not normally do Cunard had paid very little for their cruise. This didn't stop them from whinging and complaining that this 'wasn't as good as Saga.' Ignore them.

dancelady3

Archived