FAO Bill L - Azamara Excursions - Time For a Review?

zennor

Now that I've been on one Azamara cruise and have another booked, I really would like to know if Azamara have any intentions of reviewing the excursion offering to make them more appropriate for Azamara guests. As far as I can tell the current excursions offered are the same as those offered on Celebrity. These ships are a lot larger than the Az ones so it's no surprise that Az excursions are not meeting minimum capacity and being cancelled. On top of this Azamara is promoting itself as a 'destination' brand, customers are more discerning and not wanting to go on 'coach trips'.

Last week we experienced both a ship excursion in Taormina/Etna - coach trip, forced to wear our stickers, radio headsets, low quality mass catering at Etna etc. - and a private tour in Rome. No guesses as to which we enjoyed more. The tour in Rome was expensive this time because there were only 2 of us. Had there been 6, the price pp would have been similar to a ship excursion.

There is evidently an issue with the take-up of Az excursions and I can see that the initial reaction has to been to offer the 50% discount for all 2012 cruises to increase take-up. But moving on are you intending to review the situation and look at excursions specifically suited to Az customers? For example, using mini-buses/large taxis for smaller groups?

It would be interesting to know what the other higher-end lines do - Oceania and even Seabourn.

Anyway Bill, I do hope that this being looked at and that you'll let us know.

Now that I've been on one Azamara cruise and have another booked, I really would like to know if Azamara have any intentions of reviewing the excursion offering to make them more appropriate for Azamara guests. As far as I can tell the current excursions offered are the same as those offered on Celebrity. These ships are a lot larger than the Az ones so it's no surprise that Az excursions are not meeting minimum capacity and being cancelled. On top of this Azamara is promoting itself as a 'destination' brand, customers are more discerning and not wanting to go on 'coach trips'.

Last week we experienced both a ship excursion in Taormina/Etna - coach trip, forced to wear our stickers, radio headsets, low quality mass catering at Etna etc. - and a private tour in Rome. No guesses as to which we enjoyed more. The tour in Rome was expensive this time because there were only 2 of us. Had there been 6, the price pp would have been similar to a ship excursion.

There is evidently an issue with the take-up of Az excursions and I can see that the initial reaction has to been to offer the 50% discount for all 2012 cruises to increase take-up. But moving on are you intending to review the situation and look at excursions specifically suited to Az customers? For example, using mini-buses/large taxis for smaller groups?

It would be interesting to know what the other higher-end lines do - Oceania and even Seabourn.

Anyway Bill, I do hope that this being looked at and that you'll let us know.

Hello Zennor –

I respect your allegiance to Azamara Club Cruises and your efforts to share with us your suggestions to reformulate our shore excursion programs to better complement our destination immersion focus and deliver a more “upmarket” experience.

I will certainly advise our executive management team about your shore excursion comments and I will keep you and the Forum updated as they review our shore excursion program.

I’d like to make one point about your comment about “higher-end” lines. Actually, we refer to ourselves as being in the “upmarket” category because we believe we bridge the gap between the onboard experiences delivered by the premium/deluxe category such as Holland America and Oceania and by the ultra luxury cruise lines such as Seabourn and Silversea because of our more-inclusive pricing proposition which we believe places Azamara in exclusive product category of our own – “Upmarket.”

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

To the OP

IMO there is no ship excursion on any cruise line that parallels a private excursion.

I took ONE ship excursion on Oceania because it was a new port in China and I could not find one recommended private guide. Never again. I would rather stay on the ship.

Go read the complaints about the included shore excursions on the Regent boards.

The solution to the problem is within your control. Continue to book those great private excursions. If you start early and post on the roll call you will have a full contingent (we never go with more than 10) and your superior private excursion will cost loss than what the ship has to offer.

Hi Everyone,

I would say that I have had good ship excursions on Azamara, Seabourn and Princess. I enjoy them because they uncomplicate things by leaving the logistics to someone else. In particular, the Santorini tour on Azamara that included Oia, Buttari and a lunch was really quite nice (of course with an equivalent price tag). Seabourn and Azamara excursions were of equivalent quality. Some of the guides on the Azamara tours were exceptional. Seabourn tours a bit smaller due to the size of the boat(one of the triplets). I do often hire private guides and drivers on land tours, but once on the cruise ship part of my vacation, I like to relax and not have to think about reminding the driver that I am coming, worrying about cash payments, etc.

On my last cruise (Greek Isles) the Quest stayed in a couple of ports until late at night. However, all excursions were first thing in the morning. In particular, I was hoping for the Ephesus Library dinner tour that is available on other lines. It would be nice with such long port stays to have some afternoon and evening tours. I realize the boat is small and perhaps can't get the numbers required, but I would have participated in some night time bar hops, a dinner tour, local folkoric show, etc.

We have used the ship's tours and also participated in private tours on our cruises and I have found that there are some ship's tours that take you to places that are not usually available; for example, a visit to one of the telescopes high up in the Chilean Andes. When I am just going to visit sights around the port, I tend to use a private tour with fewer people. I would encourage Azamara to strive to offer "off-the-beaten-track" tours whenever possible.

pacheco18,

I realise that I do have the option of arranging private tours if I want to put the effort in and we may do some for our next cruise. But not everyone is a member of CC and can organise in advance. There will always be a demand for excursions organised by the cruise line. I just think that these should be more tailored to the brand and its guests. And as ddpe points out it can be a lot more relaxing to leave the organisation to someone else - we've started cruising because we both run our own businesses, have done a lot of planning & DIY travel in the past and are really enjoying having some of this taken from us by joining a cruise.

I also like the idea of afternoon/evening tours & bar hops!. Although we had some late stays in Croatia, we didn't really take advantage of them and just came back to the ship.

As for the 'included' excursions offered by Regent etc., it doesn't surprise me that there are complaints. I would be very wary of a 'free' excursion. I'm happy to pay for excursions if they are a little more 'bespoke' and are not likely to be cancelled due to not meeting a minimum quota of 25!

I'm happy to pay for excursions if they are a little more 'bespoke' and are not likely to be cancelled due to not meeting a minimum quota of 25!

Agree! And this is from someone who has arranged countless private tours.

[quote name=ddpe;30923214

On my last cruise (Greek Isles) the Quest stayed in a couple of ports until late at night. However' date=' all excursions were first thing in the morning. In particular, I was hoping for the Ephesus Library dinner tour that is available on other lines. It would be nice with such long port stays to have some afternoon and evening tours. I realize the boat is small and perhaps can't get the numbers required, but I would have participated in some night time bar hops, a dinner tour, local folkoric show, etc.[/quote]

Agree.

Btw, there are few offerings from Kusadasi on our upcoming cruise, so back to Ephesus we go (a great place but I would have liked Azamara to have offered something unique for second timers).

We prefer the ships tours for unique and night time events, but there is nothing like that on our upcoming cruise. Oh yes, they offered a dinner tour/night in Tel Aviv in Ashdod, but we made others plans since we were the only ones signed up two weeks before our cruise. I know the reason. It was leftover from our earlier itinerary when Quest was scheduled to arrive at about 2:00PM. Now all of the day tours arrive back at the ship later than this excursion departs (I believe except for one half day tour that goes to the same Jaffa location). This was not thought out at all by the shore excursion team (which I think is run by the marketing department).

This was not thought out at all by the shore excursion team (which I think is run by the marketing department).

This appears to be the main issue - no real planning at all of how the excursions fit in with the actual itinerary.

Hi Everyone,

I would say that I have had good ship excursions on Azamara, Seabourn and Princess. I enjoy them because they uncomplicate things by leaving the logistics to someone else. In particular, the Santorini tour on Azamara that included Oia, Buttari and a lunch was really quite nice (of course with an equivalent price tag). .

We (as well as others on our roll call), are also scheduled to take this "Exclusive" Santorini tour in two weeks, but right now Azamara is short 4 persons to run the tour. Glad to hear it is good and I sure hope some others sign up (perhaps waiting to use some OBC when they board the ship). If not, we have been to Santorini before and last time rented a car and drove around the entire Island, but thought this tour sounded very good. If this gets canceled we will not be replacing it with anything else. We do know the costs for a sit down meal in Santorini.

Do you recall how many people were on the tour? Did you start with the boat tour? It is suppose to be exclusive but also needs a minimum number to operate.

Unfortunately, I do not believe any cruise line is going to offer the kind of "bespoke" tours you are alluding to for a reasonable price any time soon. The biggest profit centers for the cruise lines are alcohol and excursions. You would be amazed to know the kind of profit they make on shore excursions. You can usually book the identical excursion ( if you really want to be on a bus with 40 + people) for half of what the cruise line charges.

Were the cruise line to offer small, bespoke tours, the prices would be through the roof. Check out, for example, Oceania's Executive Collection -- these are essentially small group excursions with a private guide in a car van or mini bus -- much the same as hiring a private guide. Prices are astronomical. I suppose Azamara could offer something similar, but I doubt many people with any knowledge of how to book a private guide would pay the money.

Hi Jade13,

We had about 20 people on the tour. We tendered and loaded on a bus to Oia. We started in the museum at Oia and after, had 1 hour of time alone. The guide told us where the best pictures could be made and then my husband and I did some art shopping.

After, we went to Boutari, saw a film (that part I could have done without), a trip out to the vineyard to explain how the wine making was different on Santorini, to the cellar and then for a generous tasting with delicious tomato fritters, cheese, etc. Then a little mini tour of the backside of the island and to Thira for lunch. The view at lunch was stunning - sitting right on the caldera. They served appetizers, salads, main courses, free flowing wine and ouzo and then dessert. The weakest point was the baklava which was not good compared to what I had had in Kusadasi a couple days prior. The cable car ticket back down was included. Honestly, you could do this tour for at least half the price on your own , but then you would have to worry about logistics. Boutari is not located within walking distance of the towns and selecting a restaurant is always a crapshoot. If you have the money, it was a special day. If you are worried about the cost, do something else. The guide was very pleasant and professional. What made the experience really pleasant for us was the group of people who chose this tour from the ship. Everyone was very congenial and we all had a great time together.

Unfortunately, I do not believe any cruise line is going to offer the kind of "bespoke" tours you are alluding to for a reasonable price any time soon. The biggest profit centers for the cruise lines are alcohol and excursions. You would be amazed to know the kind of profit they make on shore excursions. You can usually book the identical excursion ( if you really want to be on a bus with 40 + people) for half of what the cruise line charges.

Were the cruise line to offer small, bespoke tours, the prices would be through the roof.

Who said reasonably priced. The Exclusive Santorini tour mentioned on this thread is $345.00 per person at full price.

Actually, I don't think Azamara's plan to offer 50% off tours on a regular basis, if booked in advance, even fits in with their plan to be the cruise line dedicated to destination travel ("You will love where we take you"), because they will be looking for cheap tours they can sell at a 50% off cheap price. I never understood the marketing, but than again I don't understand much of what the marketing department at Azamara comes up with.

I am sure that cruiselines like HAL make tons of money on their shore excursions (which were already much more expensive than RCCL/Celebrity/Azamara before Azamara decided to sell them at 50% off). They should be offering the cruises at a price they can sell in a reasonably amount of time (instead of Choice Air credits, Double Choice Air credits, btb credits doubled - doesn't make any sense since the discount is the same for an Inside as it is for a Suite - chocolate dipped strawberry promo last Valentines Day..And, than offered some fabulous tours. We will pay for anything that is unique, such as opening up a museum that would otherwise be closed for a private viewing.

I agree with Zennor. With the overnights and late nights, what happened to the tours. Azamara needs a person dedicated to the Shore Excursions, whether or not RCCL is putting them together at this time. They still need to be evaluated. No one spent any time reviewing the offerings on our upcoming sailing, especially in Kusadasi and in Israel after Egypt was canceled.

Hi Jade13,

We had about 20 people on the tour. We tendered and loaded on a bus to Oia. We started in the museum at Oia and after, had 1 hour of time alone. The guide told us where the best pictures could be made and then my husband and I did some art shopping.

After, we went to Boutari, saw a film (that part I could have done without), a trip out to the vineyard to explain how the wine making was different on Santorini, to the cellar and then for a generous tasting with delicious tomato fritters, cheese, etc. Then a little mini tour of the backside of the island and to Thira for lunch. The view at lunch was stunning - sitting right on the caldera. They served appetizers, salads, main courses, free flowing wine and ouzo and then dessert. The weakest point was the baklava which was not good compared to what I had had in Kusadasi a couple days prior. The cable car ticket back down was included. Honestly, you could do this tour for at least half the price on your own , but then you would have to worry about logistics. Boutari is not located within walking distance of the towns and selecting a restaurant is always a crapshoot. If you have the money, it was a special day. If you are worried about the cost, do something else. The guide was very pleasant and professional. What made the experience really pleasant for us was the group of people who chose this tour from the ship. Everyone was very congenial and we all had a great time together.

ddpe, Thanks for the feedback. It would be interesting to know how many booked at 50% off vs. those that had no problem paying the full $345.00. (Btw, for those reading there is another tour offered in Santorini which is actually more money than this one).

I was going to make the same comment re Regent cruises...people on the boards generally wish they were not included, since of course prices must be adjusted up. Like most of you they prefer making their own private tour arrangements. But when you are paying for "free" excursions it seems silly not to use them. Many were coach tours, with a maximum of 25 on any trip we took. Some had some personal elements, such as a luncheon set up just for our group in Sardinia.

OTOH, on a port intensive itinerary we prefer a mix...some ports can be explored on foot without a guided tour, some private excursions look outstanding, and sometimes a ship's excursion will catch our eye as the quick and easy answer to a port. It's disappointing to read that there are no evening excursions available! We have many overnights on our Lisbon to Monte Carlo trip next summer, and I was looking forward to venturing out with a small group doing some different things. Venturing out just the two of us in an unknown city at night doesn't always feel comfortable, very provincial of me I'm sure!

When do excursions become available for viewing on line? About six months out? I am really enjoying the Azamara boards. Bill L.is a wonderful resource and host Andy is wonderful as well.

When do excursions become available for viewing on line? About six months out?

If you go to https://secure.azamaraclubcruises.com/beforeyourcruise/bookShorex.do?pagename=book_shore_excursions&cS=SIDENAV & select Shore & Land Excursions Brochure - put your dates in & they may be there. Otherwise I chose another itinerary with some of the same ports just to get an idea of what MAY be offered. It just adds to the anticipation!

Were the cruise line to offer small, bespoke tours, the prices would be through the roof.

I asked about the availability on one tour because the one we are on is in jeopardy of being canceled, and was told there are still 300 spaces available! When a tour is thirty some dollars at 50% off, that is what you get.

I have been on Azamara tours where the maximum number of bookings they would take was 20 - we were in 5 vans, 4 per van which is no more busy than many of the private tour operators. I remember in NZ (and it was an excellent operator) that he had 14 vans going out with private bookings. No issue, it is not the number on the trip, it is the size of the transportation and whether the operator manages logistics so that not everyone is at the same place at the same time

I have been on Azamara tours where the maximum number of bookings they would take was 20 - we were in 5 vans, 4 per van which is no more busy than many of the private tour operators. I remember in NZ (and it was an excellent operator) that he had 14 vans going out with private bookings. No issue, it is not the number on the trip, it is the size of the transportation and whether the operator manages logistics so that not everyone is at the same place at the same time

My wife and I are going on our first Azamara cruise next July. I'd like to know about how long ahead of time that the cruise line posts their excursions. We've sailed before on Royal Carribean, and the excursions were always available at the time we did the bookings. I just wonder when I ought to start checking the web site....

You will find the excursions posted about 4-6 months before your sailing date. Hope you enjoy your first Azamara trip - I see you are going on Journey, we will be back on her soon, she is a great ship

Archived