crunch time

Winemyst

Our cruise is coming up soon. I started my packing list last night, and my shopping list(things to buy before I go) most of it is for my 1 year old. lol Okay so as far as sleeping: I plan on using ship pnp, but bring my own sheet

Eating - for onshore I have disposable bibs, cups, spoons, some Gerber grabbers, crackers etc. On the boat - she'll eat almost anything

We're not doing excursions, just plan to walk around town, walk to a beach etc. So we're going to bring our full-size stroller.

As far as a first aid kit what should I include - children's advil, bandaids, ?? I was thinking of bringing pedialyte just in case

Any other tips?

Whatever meds. you use at home, or could possibly use, BRING! Sure, bring the pedialyte...can't hurt, and if you need it, you'll be glad you have it!

Stuff for coughs, runny/stuffy nose, scratches, scraps and bumps...definitely children's pain/fever reducer......all that stuff! The ship will not carry any of it!

My travel first aid kit for both kids and adults is mostly for blister care because we need those items each and every trip, usually for my mother, but here it is:

regular bandaids all sizes, blister bandaids, moleskin pre-cut in varios sizes/shapes

triple antibacterial cream

adult tylenol, infant tylenol

meclazine + ginger candy (motionsickness)

adult and kid benedryl, allergies, rashes, etc.

imodium

kids triaminc cold & cough thin strips

tums (my "placebo" medication, cures many mysterious childhood ailments)

powdered pedyalite or powdered electrolite for athletes if I can't find the pedyalite

Also: sunscreen, antibacterial hand stuff, chapstick, sunglasses, mini flashlight, hair ties & clips, disposable rain poncho (dollar store)

water, water, water, I always have a bottle of water or two on hand.

I always travel with baby wipes & antibacterial wipes between the two you can clean anyone and anything. Sometimes I'll take a washcloth or hand towel from the cabin.

My younest is 6 and I still carry a quart sz ziploc with a change of clothes, socks, underwear, disposable bib and disposable changing pad cover (last two items for vomit emergences). She's older, so we do bike short or leggings + t-shirt to keep this in the qt size bag.

I carry "refills" of items in my luggage, keep only single dose of each item in my mini first aid kit that I keep with me at all times. I just check my bag every night to refill, otherwise you feel like a pack mule. For example, I found that ypically 3 diapers was plenty to carry around, as long as you make certain to refill every time you get back to your cabin!

hope that helps

Children's benadryl

Amen, and I would add insect sprays that can be used on the age of child traveling with you.

Check out your local stores and try to find travel packs of some othe items mentioned on this thread.

You can often find insect wipes, sanitzers, etc. in portable wrapped packets that help take up less space in your luggage.

You can use small garbage bags as packing material around your liquids in your luggage and then have them for diapers, etc. when you need them.

You didn't say what ports your cruise would visit but through our experience most Mexican ports we've visited have large pharmacy or discount ``tourist'' venues that carry many items Americans need in an emergency on cruises -- including items for small children.

Dianne

Archived