Biking and large river cruises

ijkh

Are the the bikes on the ships decent bikes or clunkers?

Can I bring my own bike?

Thanks, cb

On AMA, definitely clunkers! What we call a mountain bike here in Australia. Upright, flat handle bars, but not as upright as a European town style bike. Reasonably well maintained. Perfectly adequate for the 30km rides we were doing. On our Amsterdam to Budapest trip , there was certainly time for some independent rides, although to build in anything more, it would mean giving up the organised walking tours. You can find more comments on my review of my trip.

AMA had said NO to bringing a bike but to be honest, there was plenty of room to store one with their bikes. I would have loved my own bike.

Instead of a cruise, have you looked at companies such as Bikestyle Tours? We did a two week riding tour with them in France and it was first class- bring your own bike, three groups of speed/difficulty, plenty of options NOT to ride on some days. Riding through spectacular scenery.

Archived