New TV Channel Line Up - Mucho Espanol Mi Amigo

jdcml

So John had posted on FB a few weeks back that the satellite lineup was changing. It was already in place on the Dream last week and probably is on most, if not all, ships in the fleet.

What was really odd (and maybe it was because we did the western Caribbean) was all the Spanish. We didn't really have it on much but used it a little in the afternoon for some down time and a little at night for the kids while they ate dessert in bed.

I was excited to see that they added Boomerang and even interested in Cartoon Network (but not a huge fan of the programing). Anyway, most all the commercials and some programs on CN were in Spanish, and a lot of the programming on Boomerang was entirely in Spanish. Just a heads up in the event that someone is planning on some sort of programming on one of those two networks.

The other crummy thing was that John listed ESPN in the line-up. The Dream had it for Monday Night Football on the big screen, but we didn't get it in the cabin. I watch a little baseball in the sports bar but couldn't see it in the room. I guess it had something to do with how many viewers like how many receivers for the land based satellite providers.

Neither of these were a huge issue, but don't plan on watching MNF in bed with some good ol' 24 hour peperoni pizza!

We just got off of the Inspiration and noticed this. We are already getting too much spanish crammed down our throats in OUR country, they shouldn't do it to us on vacation as well.

Yeah, it is such an inconvenience to have commercials in spanish! Not.

The U.S. is one of the few countries that doesn't encourage people to be bilingual. It is "our" country too, and having some spanish on the television is not a big deal.

Yeah, it is such an inconvenience to have commercials in spanish! Not.

The U.S. is one of the few countries that doesn't encourage people to be bilingual. It is "our" country too, and having some spanish on the television is not a big deal.

Why would Americans want any of their TV in spanish? Go back about twenty years and we didn't have any spanish anywhere. Now we have it on everything we buy. If I wanted to watch commercials and join in the spanish culture, I would go live in that region of the world. The United States of America is an english, christian country. We do have people changing it and we are just sitting back letting it happen. As far as the spanish channels on the ships, why not have chinese, indian, korean, german etc? I see people from all over the world on our cruises. We are just catering to the spanish more than most of us would like.

Since Carnival ships sail from the USA predominately to a spanish speaking region it should come as no surprise that the first language available on satellite broadcasts is in that language.

Satellite channels are spot-beamed. If Carnival wanted to offer North American feeds their ships would probably need to stay in North America. Cartoon Network beams multiple audio language streams with their video. You can play Cartoon network here in Spanish by switching to the Spanish audio feed but guess what? many of the commercials are in English only. I guess some commercial advertisers don't feel it's worth the extra expense to dub their ads, likewise I guess advertisers in the Spanish speaking regions feel even less motivated to translate their ads.

I think it's nice that Carnival has added more channels. It helps keep the little ones still while dressing in the morning.

Why would Americans want any of their TV in spanish? Go back about twenty years and we didn't have any spanish anywhere. Now we have it on everything we buy. If I wanted to watch commercials and join in the spanish culture, I would go live in that region of the world. The United States of America is an english, christian country. We do have people changing it and we are just sitting back letting it happen. As far as the spanish channels on the ships, why not have chinese, indian, korean, german etc? I see people from all over the world on our cruises. We are just catering to the spanish more than most of us would like.

You answered your own question, why would central americans want their tv in English. You're sailing to central america, you are the foreigner watching their tv, not the other way around.

Yeah I was excited after reading about John Heald's announcement of the new satellite channel lineup.(which was total crap)

Then got on the Legend 2 weeks ago and saw the real deal....

ABC and FOX were out of Puerto Rico (with their early AM and evening news broadcasts from NYC) and NBC was from the Virgin Islands (again with NYC news feeds. I guess the islands can't afford or just prefer to show cheap NYC news feeds)

The Legend had no CBS feed and according to the sportsbar bartender, had not had a CBS for quite "awhile".

They did have CNN, CNN International and CNN Spanish.

TNT was still TNTLA (latin) as were Cartoon network and Boomerrang, thus the Spanish commercials.

The Legend still had ESPN International available in the sportsbar, but also had added ESPN 2 International at the sportsbar too..

But it was still soccer 24/7 except Monday night football for 3 hours on Monday Nights.

I miss the old days of Denver feeds.

At least you got all 4 networks and it was consistent.

Bill

You answered your own question, why would central americans want their tv in English. You're sailing to central america, you are the foreigner watching their tv, not the other way around.

The tv is brought in by satelite, not local. Most people on the ship are americans. The ships leave US ports. If I left from Mexico on a cruiseline based out of Mexico, I would expect spanish stations. So, cruising from the US on a cruiseline based in the US, I expect most of the channels to be english.

No we are not an english, christian country. I am neither, and I am an American. I speak both English and Spanish, and I choose not to watch the commercials in either language since it is all drivel.

Learn a second language and then you can watch the ridiculous commericals if you choose. However, if we have deteriorated to the point where hearing a language other than english is offensive, we should be ashamed of ourselves. And by the way, the language is spanish, but the people are not, unless of course, they are from Spain.

Yep, a basic business decision to take delivery from a cheaper vendor. I don't watch tv on a cruise but my husband is an addict that turns it on whenever he walks in the room. Drives me crazy. That's what balconies are for (not to push him over the rail- just for me to escape the television). :D

There are so many things I could say, but I think they would all be lost on you. Just let me remind you that the Spanish and Mexican cultures were here in the US long before the English were. And speaking as a former southern California resident, there was plenty of spanish in my neighborhood 20 years ago.

On the Magic out of Barcelona in July I was very surprised that all the shipboard communication was in English (except for a half-dozen or so announcements aimed at specific passengers during the course of the cruise). For a Panamanian-registered ship sailing out of Spain and visiting ports in Italy and Monaco with primarily non-US passengers, it was appalling that they made no attempt to accommodate the non-English speaking passengers. I much preferred the international atmosphere on board my Louise Cruise out of Athens last summer.

The tv is brought in by satelite, not local. Most people on the ship are americans. The ships leave US ports. If I left from Mexico on a cruiseline based out of Mexico, I would expect spanish stations. So, cruising from the US on a cruiseline based in the US, I expect most of the channels to be english.

The satellite signal the ship receives is a spot-beam signal. It shares many similarities to as you put it a local signal.

Y'know, I remember the Spanish commercials on Boomerang when we sailed on Conquest in 2005. And we've seen it onboard since then. I have a minor in Spanish, and I've never regretted learning another language. It's proved useful in places like Costa Maya and Panama.:)

Y'know, I remember the Spanish commercials on Boomerang when we sailed on Conquest in 2005. And we've seen it onboard since then. I have a minor in Spanish, and I've never regretted learning another language. It's proved useful in places like Costa Maya and Panama.:)

Sorry, the intention certainly wasn't for this thread to go down this path. I agree that the limited Spanish I know came in useful on this last trip on a couple of occasions. I just put this out there as more of an FYI and something that I found to be interesting on this last trip :o

So all of you cruise to watch TV? Turn off the boob tube and watch the ocean- that is not in Spanish. Or the people. Or the shows. A short time after you leave port, most of you will be in international waters on a ship that is registered in Panama.

Have a nice cruise.

I have no problem with spanish speaking people. My problem, is that they come to America, and don"t speak english. They, want us to speak Spanish. I have been all over the world, and when I lived in Belgium, I promise you, they did not speak english, and totally expected me to speak french. When I live in Italy, they did not speak english, and expected me to speak italian. When I lived in Turkey, they definetly did not speak english, they spoke turkish. So, my point is this. Any individual that is coming to an english speaking country, should learn the language. Speak spanish if you like, but understand, the USA is an ENGLISH speaking country. You must learn the language of your new country.

I have also traveled the world and one time and one time only was I on the street where nobody spoke English. Every other place I have been there were people who were desperate to try out their English. But I am not going to be dragged into a political discussion of language- this is about TV. And again- why are people watching TV? And nobody seems to be saying that they can't find something to watch (a real trick- most nights at home I can't with my 800 stations) but just a complaint that there are Spanish stations. So watch a movie.

And aren't you lucky that you can learn languages- I cannot no matter how hard I try. My brain is not wired that way. I envy you if you were able to learn to converse and live in all those languages- I would love to. I end up using sign language- but since I love to be in exotic places- I've almost always been able to get by.

When we were on the Liberty in Aug., the Last Samurai was on, and if anyone remember there is quite a bit of Japanese/Chinese ( where-ever it was suppose to take place), and the subtitles in English...Except this time the subtitles were in Spanish!!...Obviously we couldn't understand either...We just thought it was funny!! :)

Archived