Men: surprise cruise for bday or not?????

Wayfairers

I think your idea is fantastic! I did something similar for our 30th wedding anniversary. I actually had the trip planned for about 6 months before I told him about it. I did have to finally tell him because he had to take off from work and he had to get his passport. I would have loved to have been able to keep it a secret all the way to the end. And he loved it. He said it was the best suprise, he was just suprised I was able to keep it a secret that long. :rolleyes: So go for it and enjoy!

While I have never done a surprise cruise I did do a surprise trip to Paris a couple of years ago. Ok a surprise until we got to the airport, I did all the packing and told her we were going to dinner.

Some things I missed that I wish I would have thought of included clothes for the flight, she was a bit uncomfortable flying over, paying for it all in secret was challenging and I should have put more thought to this.

If he needs to take off from work what I did is I called her boss three months before and he was good about getting coverage without letting the cat out.

The more I think about it, I would surprise him, but before final payment date (about 75 days before the cruise). That way if he really does not want to go you can cancel and get a full refund. Also, that way you two will have time to plan shore excursions, where to stay before or after the cruise -- stuff like that. This way you have a surprise gift, but he still gets to enjoy the anticipation and planning of the cruise.

Now, if you want a real surprise for him on the cruise, get some other family members and/or friends to be on the cruise without his knowledge, surprising him on the cruise itself. It is a little tricky. Maybe the surprise could be a the hotel the night before the cruise (assuming you stay the night before).

Archived