Cruise Ship Talk Show Idea...

Good Day,

I would like some feedback and if any ideas or investors in this Idea, great, lol. I have had some thoughts about putting a television show together based on the Cruise Industry. There is not enough shows on this topic and the cruise industry has taken off and it seems to be the only way to vacation now. My show idea is to host it myself and everyweek interview from a different company and give a full tour of all ships. Also have some specials were we could interview Shoreside staff from head offices. I just think this would be interesting to Cruisers and also halp sell the Cruise Industry alot more. Please let me know some feedback on this and I will respond to it as needed. Thanks...

Errol

Cruise Staff

Majesty, Sovereign, Radiance, Mariner, Grandeur....

If you need anyone to cruise every ship and report back to you on all aspects of cruising, I would be willing to sacrifice myself this way for the good of all. :rolleyes: I could be packed and ready to sail at a moments notice. :D

The Travel Channel already has a periodic program that goes aboard ships and does what you propose - in an hour. I believe it is part of their "Best Of" series.

I also believe the frequency with which they air it is a good indicator of the overall demand for such programming - which is about 2 or 3 times a year.

and it seems to be the only way to vacation now

Sorry to be so blunt, but if you think cruising is the only way to vacation now you must lead quite a sheltered life.

Howard

Hi Errol,

A couple of years back, there was a show exactly like what you described... I beleive it was called Porthole TV, and it was hosted by the editor of Porthole magazine. We taped it every week (I may even have some old episodes lying around), and I thought the show was great. Each week, they focused on a particular ship and port of call. They did interview some of the staff, but I honestly found that part to be boring. You have to be sure the people you interview are charismatic. The show is no longer on the air, so I guess it didn't do too well :( I would love to see a show like that, however, and think it could be a hit if marketed successfully... ;) By the way, I just taped a documentary on Radiance off the Travel Channel. I haven't had the chance to see it yet though. I know you mentioned you were on Radiance for a while - Are you on the documentary?

sounds cool to me. The travel channel use to run paid programming for the Travel Store who showed info on Carnival and Royal Caribbean all the time in the mid nineties. It would be nice to have something like that again and show other cruise lines also.

I use to subscribe to that Porthole magazine. It had great pics but the tv show didn't show on my cable, not sure if it every made it to the US at all.

I would watch all the time! It may not have taken off in the 90's but cruising is much more popular now and the market may have changed. I remember there was a short reality program (prior to the influx of reality shows) not sure what it was called but it followed a few people on their cruise, each with a different story and lifestyle. I can't remember what ship, but I really liked it. It was on probably 2 to 3 years ago. Very cool idea. You never know until you try. Take a poll on different sights as well as this one, may be a bit lopsided but you never know.

Good Day,

I would like some feedback and if any ideas or investors in this Idea, great, lol. I have had some thoughts about putting a television show together based on the Cruise Industry. There is not enough shows on this topic and the cruise industry has taken off and it seems to be the only way to vacation now. My show idea is to host it myself and everyweek interview from a different company and give a full tour of all ships. Also have some specials were we could interview Shoreside staff from head offices. I just think this would be interesting to Cruisers and also halp sell the Cruise Industry alot more. Please let me know some feedback on this and I will respond to it as needed. Thanks...

Errol

Cruise Staff

Majesty, Sovereign, Radiance, Mariner, Grandeur....

A once or twice a year "special" on the Travel channel would probably all you could expect from this idea IMO

As long as we're throwing around ideas, someone really needs to do one about expectations: what you can reasonably expect to happen on a cruise and what is expected of you as a passenger. That would cover about every hot topic on these boards. ;)

Okay I have to admit it I am one of those Americans that cannot get enough of reality TV. I was actually thinking the other night that there should be a reality show about cruise lines similar to A+E's Airline. Although I would imagine you would want to film happier people as most the time the show does not paint a good picture of Southwest. Still the show would be fun, great entertainment, and other than Road Rules (MTV) many years ago there has not been another show quite like it.

Just a thought to throw out and you would have one huge fan right here.

Eugene W. Frog

Okay I have to admit it I am one of those Americans that cannot get enough of reality TV. I was actually thinking the other night that there should be a reality show about cruise lines similar to A+E's Airline. Although I would imagine you would want to film happier people as most the time the show does not paint a good picture of Southwest. Still the show would be fun, great entertainment, and other than Road Rules (MTV) many years ago there has not been another show quite like it.

Just a thought to throw out and you would have one huge fan right here.

Eugene W. Frog

Like the "Love Boat"....only real! lol

Seriously, though, I have watched the Airline show and it would be interesting to see it revamped for a cruiseline.

Like the "Love Boat"....only real! lol

There actually is a cruise-ship based reality show... I think it is called Shipmates, and it is sort of like Blind Date on a cruise ship. The episode I saw a while ago took place on a Carnival ship on a Bahamas cruise. Unfortunately, the show was not too good, and kind of cheesy.

I too remember a show from the ninetys that was more like an infomercial sponsored by a large travel agency I believe was in south Florida. They gave half hour tours of various ships and interviewed a spokesperson from the cruiseline. Even though it was a commercial, the inside views were great, and it was responsible for getting me hooked on cruising.

There actually is a cruise-ship based reality show... I think it is called Shipmates, and it is sort of like Blind Date on a cruise ship. The episode I saw a while ago took place on a Carnival ship on a Bahamas cruise. Unfortunately, the show was not too good, and kind of cheesy.

I saw a few episodes of Shipmates. As far as I know, it got pulled and is no longer around (at least around here). I thought the show itself was terrible, I just watched for the cruise related stuff. Every show I saw was on the Carnival Fascination and were either the 3 day to nassau or the 4 day to Key West and Cozumel.

I have some Ideas Im playing with, but in the next year lets hope a show takes off such as this, for all those have some ideas keep thme coming. The show that used to run through Porthole Magazine was actuallly approved by Bill Panoff himself and had a host from the the Toronto area named "Sydney Cohen" if anyone remembers that name he has been in Cruise Industry and done some Game Show hosting, I used to be friends with his son. But yes thats the concept and Idea Id like to take but ad a little twist to it. Have a great week guys...

Errol

Cruise Staff

Majesty, Sovereign, Radiance, Mariner, & Grandeur

Archived