modest formal wear in jr size

HPEmom

I need to find one or 2 "formal" dresses as well as casual dresses for my 12 year old DD to wear on our December cruise. She lives in jeans, t-shirts and sneakers. However, she is really looking forward to dressing up for the cruise.

Our dilemma - she will have just turned 12 and presently stands 5"8" tall and wears a jr. size 3 (with a great shape from years of athletics). Without fixing her hair or any makeup, she is frequently mistaken for a 15 year old:eek:.

We cannot seem to find something that isn't too short, too low cut, have a padded bust, etc. One of the dresses needs to be very formal as she will wear it to a friend's Quincinera in early December.

Any ideas from all you fashionistas?

Go to a bridal shop. They carry bridesmaids dresses in a variety of sizes including juniors (or can alter a misses), and these days many have great styles that don't scream "recycled bridesmaid." I recently went with a friend to a local bridal shop to look at mother-of-the-groom dresses and we saw a ton of beautiful junior bridesmaid type dresses that would be perfect. They ranged from just above the knee to full length, had at least a cap sleeve, and were modestly cut on the chest area. They all seemed to be cut so the wearer would wear a bra underneath.

As far as casual dresses, I'd look at Macy's, Penney's, etc. Also look in the misses department, while the pants won't fit her right, many of the more causal dresses will.

I feel for you--though my 12 year-old granddaughter is not that tall (about 5'2") she is extremely slender and with no 'real' figure yet, though she does wear a bra. (not really needed :)

On a recent shopping trip with her we had a heck of a time finding clothes. She is almost sizing out of girls sizes, except that ones that fit her in length (16) are too big everywhere else. And some 16's are too short.

We don't want her to look like she's 16 either--and she doesn't. We tried teen stores, but even an xs or 0 really didn't fit right because of the bust issue and also because of modesty issues.

Oh, well, in a year or two she will be in Jr. sizes--we still don't want her in overly revealing styles, but at least clothes should fit right.

Agree with all of the suggestions already mentioned. Especially checking out misses v. only juniors departments. I wear clothing from both, and find that a lot of times the juniors departments are cut waaaay more sexy.

Don't think anybody mentioned David's Bridal specifically, but I looked online and it looks like they have some good options.

Also, you could always add a bolero for modesty if you find a strapless dress that is a bit too revealing for your taste but are in a situation where you just cannot find anything else.

At department stores, check out bcbg evening dresses ~ they are very young looking and stylish but not overly revealing. They also have great casual dresses that she would probably be an xxs in.

Other mall stores to check out are Ann Taylor Loft and White House Black Market. WHile most of their styles are a bit older, they do have some cute dresses that again are more modest than a lot of the juniors stuff. Have fun shopping!

I hope I'm not too late but an idea might be e-bay, under girls flower girl, pageant dress. My daughter has two that we have ordered that are size 14, that fit her when she was 11 or 12 and they actually fit me too, and I'm about a size 8. They were more like tea length on me, but because the back had draw strings , the fit doesn't have to be exact. Most are spaghetti strap or sleeveless, but the neck line and style are over all very modest. Most of all the prices are much more reasonable, under $50 for Ebay dresses, new with tags.

Archived