oceania suite question

cruising diva

We have booked the Marina Oceania Suite and looking at the old booklets the suite has a very "Ritz Carlton" feel to it. Now looking at the new booklets the suite is much more contemporary. Question-my husband has a bad back and looking at the sofa and chairs in the living room they look quite firm. Is this the case?Also,what type of sofa( soft or firm) is in the media room?

Thank you for your help.

We have booked the Marina Oceania Suite and looking at the old booklets the suite has a very "Ritz Carlton" feel to it. Now looking at the new booklets the suite is much more contemporary. Question-my husband has a bad back and looking at the sofa and chairs in the living room they look quite firm. Is this the case?Also,what type of sofa( soft or firm) is in the media room?

Thank you for your help.

I thought that it was quite firm

092249.jpg

Balcony was huge but had solid metal railing .... felt it cut us off from the sea and for that reason have booked Oceania Suite for next cruise.

104702.jpg

LOL, just for the record, you can cut me off from the sea like that -WHENEVER YOU LIKE!

The cocktail parties would be legendary! :rolleyes:

104702.jpg

LOL, just for the record, you can cut me off from the sea like that -WHENEVER YOU LIKE!

The cocktail parties would be legendary! :rolleyes:

Not to derail the OP, but to those that have stayed in a cabin at the front of the ship, did you find it too windy or have too much motion?

Yes, the forward-facing cabins are fairly windy when the ship is moving. The solid metal wall up to the rail makes it OK if you are sitting in a chair, but you will likely want a sweater or sweatshirt, and at times it is too cool and windy. I am sure that you would spend much more time on a different balcony.

DW and I don't mind the motion at all, and in fact enjoy it, so I am not the one to answer that question.

All that being said, we loved it. We could watch the ship enter and leave port from our cabin -- often watching the entry in our pajamas. You will feel the thrusters and hear the winches as you approach the dock, but if you are sleeping in, that's a warning that you are pretty much in port, and it is time to get off to visit a new place.

Well, you get lots of answers here don't you?...but no real ones...the "media room " didn't really know it had a name.. in any event not that comfy .. I wish they would just have turned that into a gym ;-) to me it was weird /odd room. I feel they should just have put big screen in living room area..no one wants to sit in weird room to watch tv,it seems to me geared to kids??? with games, which should work on other tvs, but in any event when we wanted to watch tv.. didn't want to go sit in that room , so wound up in bedroom at least could get comfy ...so that room was worthless in my opinion and all of my guests said what should we do with this room..

perhaps that should be converted to a bedroom? to me worthless.

Well, you get lots of answers here don't you?...but no real ones...the "media room " didn't really know it had a name.. in any event not that comfy .. I wish they would just have turned that into a gym ;-) to me it was weird /odd room. I feel they should just have put big screen in living room area..no one wants to sit in weird room to watch tv,it seems to me geared to kids??? with games, which should work on other tvs, but in any event when we wanted to watch tv.. didn't want to go sit in that room , so wound up in bedroom at least could get comfy ...so that room was worthless in my opinion and all of my guests said what should we do with this room..

Isn't it odd how people can have such different tastes?

After several years of exclusively booking Vista Suites on the R ships, we switched to an Oceania Suite on the Marina, specifically because we thought that the "private" gym was an odd affectation.

While we found the media room sofa to be a little firm for extended viewing, it was fine for the amount of time that we were willing to expend on watching TV while on a cruise. Of course, as the OP pointed out, there are those who require firmer "soft furnishings".

A quick footnote to this story is that while we were cruising on the Marina, we were invited into a Vista to "get the lay of the land". The ONLY complaint of the occupant was that the so called private gym was filled to the rafters at dusk every evening with the cushions for the (extensive) collection of outdoor furniture. Apparently, cushion storage was never considered.

No thanks, I'll meet you in the Media room- :D

We've booked an Oceania suite for a TA and I'm thrilled to have a small room to send my media-addicted husband to! Plus it looks like a good snoring-getaway room (is the sofa a pullout by any chance?). The idea of a gym sitting there making me feel guilty all the time - ha!

It's true that everyone has different needs and it's nice that O has such nice choices.

is the sofa a pullout by any chance?

LOL, You'll find that the the media room is far to sma....er....tin.......er.....intimate to fit a pull out sofa :rolleyes:

151456.jpg Those stools are perfect for propping up ones feet for the occasional snooze, however.

Gee...

I LOVED the media room...Spent a lot of my in-cabin time there even when not watching the TV...I'd go in there and read or do puzzles...it became sort of my little den...I don't want a gym in my room...For that, I'll go to the gym...

One nice thing about the media room is that it is the opposite side of the suite from the bedroom--so, when my wife would go to bed early, I would not disturb her as much as if I were in the Living room separated by only the doors...

No, the sofa in there is not a pullout...

Jim and Stan thank you for the new media room picture. This shot was very helpful. Also, thank you Bruin Steve for your reply. We are booked on 2 Oceania cruises one on the Riviera Nov. 2012 and the other on Marina trans May 2013 and both in Oceania Suites. After all the great input from everyone we will stay in the Oceania Suite.Thanks for your help.

Archived