TRIUMPH - short review

luv2cruzfrmtx

I just got off the Trumph yesterday. 4 days from Galveston to Cozumel Oct 6-10. Had a great time with a group of 13 other ladies. We had a good mix of previous cruisers and newbies.

Embarkation- Used EZ Cruise parking. Parked the car and got right on shuttle which was awsome. We were the only ship in port that day. Got thru security with no problems. Check in was a disaster. We stood in line for over and hour and a half to check in. Apparently, according to an announcement Carnival kept repeating...the computers in the terminal would not sinc with the ship so no one could be checked in. We left late but I'm not sure what time....it was before dark.

The ship....was extremely clean. Dry dock included new tiles in our bathroom. We had cabin 8285 on the Veranda deck. There was new carpet in most of the public areas. I saw no stains or worn carpets at all. There are new signs on the Lido deck at all of the food stations. I think everything had been repainted. I didn't see ANY areas that looked bad at all.

They are evidently having some electrical problems. I was in line at the pursers desk when a lady came off the elevator complaining very loudly that there was no electricty in her cabin at the electrical outlets and she couldn't use her hair dryer. One of our group had cabin 7278, a suite, and they had no electricity at their outlets all week. We all had at least balcony cabins and none of us had lights that worked on our balconies. No big deal for me. I like to sit in the dark at night anyway so I can see the stars. We only had 1 evening when our outlets didn't work and the lights on the mirror in our cabin didn't work that day. I know they were working on the electrical issues.

I THINK the ship may be having stabalizer issues. She rocked the entire time we were on her. Rocked not only from side to side but forward to aft also. It wasn't just a little rocking but a lot of rocking. People were wobbling all over the ship. NOW...with that said...when we got home someone told me there was a disturbance in the Gulf. We never saw any clouds except for our day in Cozumel. It never rained but it was cloudy when we arrived there. It was cloudy in Galveston when we returned yesterday morning and looked like it had rained early yesterday morning.

Debarkation- We arrived about an hour and a half late back to Galveston. The captain said it was because of the storm we went thru coming home. We did self debarkation and with a passport it went smoothly. We sat in our cabin till they called our floor.

The food was so so. We ate in the dining room twice and did buffet twice. Oh, we had anytime dining and 1 night, we waited about 15 minutes for a table. 1 night, we walked in and they sat us immediately. On the night we waited...they gave us a beeper so we could wander around till the beeper went off. That was nice.

Overall, we all had a great time. Only 2 in our party of 14 got seasick. 1 newbie and 1 veteran. Actually, I think the veteran got sick from a reaction to her motion sickness patches. She actually had vision problems and we think thats what made her nautious.

I'll post a detailed review in a couple days. I just got back to Colorado about an hour ago and I have tons to do around here. I need to go to get some groceries because evidently there is no Lido deck at my house!! I just wanted to post a short review now because I know so many people were anxious to hear about the maiden voyage of the Triumph from Galveston.

thanks so much for this review - I was a little worried as a prior posted had stated that the ship didn't have new carpet - the whirlpools were broken the entire time (2 of them i think) - tv out in room - bad service and so on.

I feel so much better now as i'm going on her on Nov. 7.....

thanks for the review!!

thanks so much for this review - I was a little worried as a prior posted had stated that the ship didn't have new carpet - the whirlpools were broken the entire time (2 of them i think) - tv out in room - bad service and so on.

thanks for the review!!

I read that other review too.....I guess thats another example of one persons opinion/perception of the situation.

We have some friends that are going to be spending Christmas on the Triumph and it's their first cruise, so hoping for great things for them.

We will be on her in April.

thanks for the review!!

The TV was probably out because there was no electricty to the outlet. Our cabin did not have a new flat screen but 2 doors down did and we had one group on the second floor, inside that had a flat screen. Personally, we didn't watch much tv. Just the map thingy to see where we were and checked our account anyway.

The whirlpools outside on the Lido were covered up. Not sure what was up with that. Other whirlpools seemed to work fine and always had people in them.

WOW. A completely different take on the same ship, possibly the same trip. I just read another review from someone just getting off Triumph's maiden voyage out of Galveston....claimed there was no update, dirty, dusty all over the ship, no signs of update or change at all.

I assumed it was another case of perception....and it sounds like I assumed correctly.

I am not walking onto her expecting every inch to be like new....and I think that's the way to look at it.

Sounds like they made some improvements where needed and she's still an older ship and more dry docks are to come! :D

WOW. A completely different take on the same ship, possibly the same trip. I just read another review from someone just getting off Triumph's maiden voyage out of Galveston....claimed there was no update, dirty, dusty all over the ship, no signs of update or change at all.

I assumed it was another case of perception....and it sounds like I assumed correctly.

I am not walking onto her expecting every inch to be like new....and I think that's the way to look at it.

Sounds like they made some improvements where needed and she's still an older ship and more dry docks are to come! :D

Not perception but actual experience. Two people had different experiences on her, not different perceptions of the same experience. And that is normal. You need to sample many more reports to get a good feel for the condition of the ship.

We've been on reconditioned ships and really didn't notice anything different other than new carpeting in a few areas, etc. How much is done depends on several factors I suppose. But the Triumph was a spectacular ship 11 years ago and we may just take her again!

Archived