Fascination Passengers Upset With Carnival

CCLNCLRCICRUISER

Whatever the captain did, he was never going to win this argument.

If he stayed, they everyone would complain because he stayed and they missed flights when it might have been okay weather.

And now we are seeing what happned when he DID leave.

So it's crazy. Take it as it is cause either way there would be an argument.

I say, it's your vacation, make the best of it! A bad day on a cruise ship is better than a good sunny day at home cooking and cleaning! IMO...LOL..

Happy Sailing

completely agree. I've been on cruises where it was too cold and rainy to swim (though believe my I tried). I rolled with it, got hot chocolate, or coffee, and read. A good day anywhere, and I didn't have to make the bed, or do the dishes :)

My parents were on a cruise in the middle of a hurricaine. Yes, it was awful, parts of the ship had to have their electricity turned off, and they stayed in bed. They didn't fault the ship, it was just one of those things. In fact, they were impressed with the captain's decision making.

Lastly...you're on a ship in the middle of the ocean. Yes, it's luxurious, yes, it's fun. It's my favorite way to travel. But you are subject to whatever Mother Nature throws at you. If you aren't one to be able to adapt to that, maybe cruises aren't for you.

We love the Jacksonville port and this ship. We cruised her twice last yr. and many more times before that. These folks need to live in difficult climate areas. We expect bad weather during hurricane season on a cruise- sorta like ice storms or snow white outs for us in Dec. through March. Hey that is why cruises are cheaper during hurricane season-you take a risk of bad seas and missing ports. Folks get over it, or come up north for the winter and see nasty weather 1st hand.

a nice stormy sea day seperates the tourist from the travelers.;)

AMEN!

Lastly...you're on a ship in the middle of the ocean. Yes, it's luxurious, yes, it's fun. It's my favorite way to travel. But you are subject to whatever Mother Nature throws at you. If you aren't one to be able to adapt to that, maybe cruises aren't for you.

AMEN to this one, too!

This trip started out wrong because we couldn't get out of port on time (hours late). Last time I checked I don't make those decisions. It is not a problem to book cruises in hurricane season but it is a problem when a captain of a ship makes decisions to totally disregard his over 1500 passengers lives. Other ships stayed in port in Nassau! Why didn't we? Why did our captain choose to jeopardize lives to get back to port on time but still could not get into the port because we had the same problem as when we got ready to leave (HIGH TIDES). If you are your love one was on the ship would understand because if I am not mistaken these captains are suppose to be trained to take percautionary measures. This man didnot. We got through this by the grace of GOD because if you had been on that ship to see the cleaning crew praying and the staff looking bewildered with people sick, food falling, people falling luggage banging it was HORRIBLE! I CAN'T REALLY MENTION THE TWENTY PLUS FOOT WAVES AND THE WHITE OUT DAYS. We were told nothing, nothing when we got back to port we found out that they could not even find us on the radar. Don't speak for those on that cruise ship if you were not on it because their was NO information given and people were terrified. DON'T MAKE STATEMENTS DON'T CRUISE IN HURRICANE SEASON BECAUSE I KNOW IN FLORIDA IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE HURRICANE SEASON TO HAVE A STORM. I KNOW THEY HAVE INSTRUMENTS TO PROVIDE THEM WITH INFORMATION. I WANT TO KNOW WHY THE CAPTIAN MADE SUCH A TERRIBLE DECISION. IT IS TWO DAYS LATER AND MY BODY STILL THINKS IT IS MOVING!

I just so happen to have been watching the web cam in Canaveral when I looked at the Marine Traffic Map I most certainly did see Fascination. She was traveling at 14 knots about 50 miles off the coast.

As a matter of fact I had posted this over in the Carnival Funville forums.

So to say the ship was off radar is false!

http://www.carnival.com/funville/forums/t/193572.aspx?PageIndex=1

dvoted2B replied on Mon Oct 10, 2011 at 12:03 AM **note time stamp is on GMT so the actual time of post was 7pm Sunday night

Saw a post saying they are also delayed due to a front. Disney is also still in port as well but Freedom of the Seas has left.

Fascination is also quiet close to Canaveral on her way back home. She is only moving at 14knots

There is a risk of running into rough seas, bad weather no matter what time of year and especially in Hurricane Season. I've been in 24 - 26 ft seas in the months of January and February on Carnival and NCL and both times were in the Gulf. Canadian cold front meets Caribbean warm air...bumpy ride!

Don't cruise if you are going to blame the Cruise Lines for what they can't control!!! As a matter of fact don't even take a vacation even on land. I live in a tourist town and this week the weather was rainy. Should people who came down to go to the beach or play golf this week sue our town!!!

There is a risk of running into rough seas, bad weather no matter what time of year and especially in Hurricane Season. I've been in 24 - 26 ft seas in the months of January and February on Carnival and NCL and both times were in the Gulf. Canadian cold front meets Caribbean warm air...bumpy ride!

Don't cruise if you are going to blame the Cruise Lines for what they can't control!!! As a matter of fact don't even take a vacation even on land. I live in a tourist town and this week the weather was rainy. Should people who came down to go to the beach or play golf this week sue our town!!!

Again, experienced cruisers "educating" people who have likely never been on a boat in the ocean before, is a little disingenuous. Cruises don't sell themselves as "Deadliest Catch, BUT IN A BIGGER BOAT!". If they did, not too many people would go. :)

But it happens sometimes. So you can't relate well to someone who might have stepped on a boat for the first time in their life, they have a miserable time considering their lack of experience at sea, and then they find out that what is presented as a tropical vacation is treated more like a plane flight. "Hey, you got there, so whatever." And then when they find out what their port calls that are cancelled, are actually worth... lol.

Obviously when someone claims that their life was in danger (looking at the video footage of the seas, it's nothing I haven't seen before and I didn't die or think the Captain was trying to kill me), they don't have alot of experience at sea. And when people sell you cruises (that "Hate to fly? Cruise out of NY" (in hurricane season) example I quoted before, for example) in a manner like you're riding a party barge down a river, people are going to be confused, or maybe even scared, when something like this happens.

I was on Conquest a year ago, and due to bad weather we missed Jamaica and Grand Cayman...people started storming the guest services desk, getting their piece of paper to write their complaints on.... Rumors started flying, tips were taken off accounts...my friends and I just watched these people make fools of themselves...were we bummed? Sure...but we chose to make the best of it and enjoyed ourselves anyway...

We were on this cruise, and it was tough! I noted as soon as we got on the ship that there appeared to be an interesting mix of travelers, and probably lots of first timers based on past cruises. This was our 12th cruise and while it may have convinced me not to cruise in October again, my only complaint was the rough seas didn't seem like they would ever end! Carnival staff did all they could, and we hung out in the atrium bar where the rolling seemed minimal compared to other areas. There was really not much communication about what was going on, but what could they say that wouldn't have scared people to death? I thing Carnival did the best they could once the decision to leave Nassau was made.

Archived