10 day Society Islands & Tuamotus for non divers

fivefoot4

My husband and I are not divers and only beginner level snorkellers so is this the right cruise for us or should we go on the 7 day Society Islands cruise? The date we are thinking about doing will have Coustoau on board so there may be even more divers than usual.

I thought the longer 10 day cruise would be nice. I dont want to do the Cook Island one as we have been there on a land vacation before.

Any advice is welcome.

I did a 10-day PG cruise a few years ago which visited most of the islands on your itinerary. I'm a diver, but my Mom (who did this cruise with me) is not. Mom had NO trouble finding things to do. In fact, there really weren't that many divers on the ship - and everybody kept quite busy. :) I didn't dive every day - some islands are just not good for diving - but on the days I did, I'd get the diving out of the way in the morning while Mom relaxed or did a morning excursion, then I'd often do an afternoon excursion with Mom.

Now I'm booked for a 11-day PG cruise next year. This time I'm bringing my husband, who is a diver, and another couple, who are not. I'm sure it'll be the same thing - we'll do a few morning dives, and on those mornings they'll do other things. We'll have plenty of opportunities to do things together.

While the PG offers fabulous diving, it's really not a diving vacation. If we want a vacation focused on diving, we'll do a live-aboard dive boat where we can do 6 to 8 dives a DAY...at no additional charge! On the PG, each dive is an extra hundred bucks...for one dive. In the world of diving, that's outrageous. For example, here in SoCal we can go out for a day on a dive boat, get in four hour-long dives...all for $120.

Divers do the PG because it's an amazing ship, in a spectacularly beautiful part of the world...and, oh yeah, there's great diving too. :D

Thanks LeeAnne for your reply. This is the information I needed to know. We think we probably will do this cruise because of the length and that we see more in comparison to the 7 day cruise.

Thanks again and I didnt know about the costs of diving WOW

Yeah LeeAnne is right, this is not a dive focused cruise and it is pretty expensive for what you are getting.

Anyways.. just did this same cruise back in August and though I am a diver, my partner is not. Never heard any complaints of not enough things to do.

There are surely enough excursions to keep you busy. We enjoyed the Black pearl farm on Rangiroa, and just wandered around the port in Fakarava.

There was a nice mix of younger couples and older couples, some singles as well on the this cruise as well. We both enjoyed it. That is why we are going back next year.

Bruce

Just did the 10 day in July we are not divers and my DH and myself do not snorkel but the trip was fabulous as usual.

Ato in Fakarava has a wonderful trip to the blue lagoon suggest you consider it and also Marc's tour in Huahine.

Thanks to everyone who posted for their advice. We think we will do this cruise now and will certainly will look into some of your suggestions.

This is an example of why these boards are so helpful because of the experience of others on here. Thanks again.

Pauline

I did this itinerary in August and am not a diver either. I enjoyed seeing Rangi and Fakarava; although there was not tons to do in either place in terms of sightseeing. On Rangi I went to the black pearl farm (ok) and in Fakarava a few of us went to a small beach for some snorkeling (like you I am a beginner too). I think I spent the remainder of both days enjoying on ship activities. The 10 day tour is the way to go if you can swing it. It is awfully far to go for a week. Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have. In either case, this is an amazing ship and trip. Enjoy. Gail :)

We did the same cruise in August with Bruce and Gail. We are not divers and had no problem finding something to do. If in doubt we just took a hike on an island. I highly recommend Christophe in Bora Bora for snorkeling. It was the best snorkel tour we have ever been on. His boat only holds eight so you get personal service. We had one first time snorkeler with us and he had a blast with Cristophe's help. We booked the 10 day over the 7 for two reasons. We had done a 7 day 14 years ago and wanted more time and it was only a few hundred dollars more. Go for the 10 days you won't regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived