All about Boston

ajenali

We have a day to spend pre-cruise in Boston (summer). What to do? Best hotel to stay in?

Prefer to have a hotel nearest to the port as possible, yet something that has attractions within walking distance? We are trying not to rent a car.

Thanks!:)

What's your cruise date? You don't need a car in Boston unless you're going outside the city - downtown is relatively small and the "T" is perfectly fine for getting around.

What is your hotel budget? Boston hotels are expensive - we generally recommend Hotwire, but it depends on your date as to what's available. It doesn't matter if you're near the port as long as you're in one of the downtown Boston areas - it's a short cab ride.

What's your cruise date? You don't need a car in Boston unless you're going outside the city - downtown is relatively small and the "T" is perfectly fine for getting around.

What is your hotel budget? Boston hotels are expensive - we generally recommend Hotwire, but it depends on your date as to what's available. It doesn't matter if you're near the port as long as you're in one of the downtown Boston areas - it's a short cab ride.

june 3rd is the cruise date.

Actually, you're in luck - for June 2 there is a 4* hotel for $125 on Hotwire in the Waterfront area that is highly likely to be the Westin Convention Center. It meets all your criteria - it's one of the closest hotels to the pier (and also the airport) and just one block from the "T" (World Trade Center) - two stops to South Station and 4 stops to Boston Common with a transfer. You can also walk if that's your preference. This is a very good deal.

The airport Silver Line bus ($2/pp) stops at World Trade Center, so if you can roll your luggage a block, you can save $20+.

Actually, you're in luck - for June 2 there is a 4* hotel for $125 on Hotwire in the Waterfront area that is highly likely to be the Westin Convention Center. It meets all your criteria - it's one of the closest hotels to the pier (and also the airport) and just one block from the "T" (World Trade Center) - two stops to South Station and 4 stops to Boston Common with a transfer. You can also walk if that's your preference. This is a very good deal.

The airport Silver Line bus ($2/pp) stops at World Trade Center, so if you can roll your luggage a block, you can save $20+.

Yes the Westin is a very good choice and close to all of your needs.

Hey 138east Can you tell me anything about The Hilton in the financial district. I think I can get a pretty good deal through a friend of a friend for a one night pre-cruise. Any info. will help. Thanks Referee

The Hilton in the financial district would be fine - easy walk to Quincy Market. In the end I think it depends on the actual price you can get through your friend of a friend compared to what might be available on Hotwire for the same date. For example the Westin Convention Center has been showing at $125 for late summer 2012 dates, but offerings for 9/15/12 are not yet posted. Find out what you would actually pay and check back with us.

Boston is a small city - for one night I don't think it matters a lot where you stay in the downtown area - you can easily get around.

sunshine66 - It sounds like you're talking about the Back Bay Westin. The Westin Convention Center is in the Waterfront area a few blocks from the pier and 1 block from the "T" Not as vibrant a location as Back Bay, but perfectly fine for one night before a cruise - particularly at that price.

The Hilton downtown is on a more quiet street about 4-5 blocks from Faneuil Hall.

sunshine66 - It sounds like you're talking about the Back Bay Westin. The Westin Convention Center is in the Waterfront area a few blocks from the pier and 1 block from the "T" Not as vibrant a location as Back Bay, but perfectly fine for one night before a cruise - particularly at that price.

The Hilton downtown is on a more quiet street about 4-5 blocks from Faneuil Hall.

138east- Nope I am referring to the new Westin Waterfront, I live and work in Boston so I am familiar with the area. There are a few great new restaurants there within walking distance, Mortons is there and a great Italian restaurant called Strega I have eaten at both. There are a number of other great restaurants within walking distance.

I agree with 138east, for the money, its a nice hotel for 1 night precruise..

• 2 weeks later...

Saw your posting about Boston--Here is a review I did just recently about my experience.

By the way: a great place (and quite central) to stay that is usually not listed as a hotel is the Custom's House owned and managed by the Marriot. It is very close to Quincy Market, and the harbor and is one of the most historic buildings in Boston. Each room is a suite with living room, kitchen and one or two bedrooms. Continental breakfast is included. One word of caution--make sure you bring your confirmation informtion, they tend to be a bit scattered. Have fun!

On a recent cruise of Canada and New England, I was concerned that a trip to Boston would not be possible due to our short visit in the port of Gloucester (7 AM to 3 PM). Most of the passengers that chat through Cruise Critic strongly advised against attempting to go into the city and they warned that to do so would almost certainly end in missing the last tender (2:30) from the harbor to the ship--advice that was repeated by the Cruise Director.

I contacted William McDonough (bostonprivatetours@yahoo.com) and he arranged for one of his tour operators, Joseph Gibbons (who lives in Rockport), to pick my Sister and I up at the dock and take us into Boston. He was confident that Joseph would have ample time to do the touring that I had requested and return us to the ship with time to spare--and he was right!!

We took the first tender off of the ship and Joseph was right there to meet us. However, rather of heading straight for Boston he had a great plan in mind.

Instead of sitting in Boston traffic for one hour, he suggested putting that time to good use by touring Gloucester, Rockport and Bear's Neck. Joseph's knowledge of the area is certainly comprehensive and, in no time, we were at home with both him and those magnificent seaside towns.

Sure enough, we then sailed right into Boston with no traffic at all.

Joseph's insightful commentaries gave new life to areas that I had visited before--The North End, Beacon Hill, Quincy Market, Back Bay, The harbor area, Paul Revere's House, Old Christ Church, Boston Commons, Boston Public Garden, The U.S.S. Constitution, Charlestown--and even had time to have a pastry and cappuccino at Mike's Pastries.

True to his word, we were back at the ship with time to spare.

There is not enough space on these reviews to adequately describe the amount of careful thought, preparation and care that Joseph puts into his tours. He graciously goes above and beyond what is "expected" of a guide and, for that special time, invites you to share his wonderful world of "welcome to New England".

Put Boston Private Tours on your "must do" list of Boston.

Mary Lou Desmond

Sounds like you had a fantastic tour. You did the smart thing - you got a private tour guide who knows the area. Most people don't ask about that - they just ask about renting a car and driving into Boston, which I would never recommend for any "out of the area" person.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is staying over in Boston and looking for nightlife here is the place. A dueling piano bar. We took our daughter here for her birthday and had a ball. The crowd gets younger as the night gets later. Go early for a good seat and avoid a 10 cover charge.

http://www.howlatthemoon.com/locations/location-boston

WOOHOO! Just got the Westin Boston Waterfront for $130.00 per night for next June. Thanks to everyone for letting me know what to look for on Hotwire!

I saw that on hot-wire. Looking forward to seeing you onboard

arpie05 - thanks. Looking forward to meeting everyone also. I noticed on your thread that you have the date as 6/4/12. It is 6/3/12 which I immediately checked because I thought I had messed up all my dates and kinda panicked for a minute there. But it's all good. Never been to Boston so we are going a couple of days early. Can't wait!

• 1 year later...
The Hilton in the financial district would be fine - easy walk to Quincy Market. In the end I think it depends on the actual price you can get through your friend of a friend compared to what might be available on Hotwire for the same date. For example the Westin Convention Center has been showing at $125 for late summer 2012 dates, but offerings for 9/15/12 are not yet posted. Find out what you would actually pay and check back with us.

Boston is a small city - for one night I don't think it matters a lot where you stay in the downtown area - you can easily get around.

I'm interested in current information for transportation options from Black Falcon pier.

There has been a public bus that stopped near the parking lot/exit area from pier. It's destination was South Station. Is a transfer available from that bus for transfer to the T at South Station?

How far is the World Trade T station from Black Falcon Pier?

What's the best public transportation to the Aquarium?

Thank you.

I'm interested in current information for transportation options from Black Falcon pier.

There has been a public bus that stopped near the parking lot/exit area from pier. It's destination was South Station. Is a transfer available from that bus for transfer to the T at South Station? Yes, there is a transfer to the Red Line at South Station. Direction Alewife will take you to Downtown Crossing and Park St and points north on the Red Line.

How far is the World Trade T station from Black Falcon Pier? I'd guess about a half mile. The Silver Line goes from Black Falcon to Silver Line Way to World Trade to the Courthouse to South Station.

What's the best public transportation to the Aquarium? The Blue Line has an Aquarium stop, but it's a lot of transfers to get there from Black Falcon.

Thank you.

It would help if you provided details about your big plan for your day in Boston. Asking a lot of specific questions will get you answers, but maybe not the big picture advice.

For example you've asked about both the Aquarium and the Museum of Science - are you planning on doing both? I'm not sure i would spend the money on both of these options with only one day in Boston.

Archived