Suggestions for ON YOUR OWN - British Isles Ports

missyfay

Question for PAST British Isle Cruisers

My husband and I are booked on the Princess Caribbean Princess Cruise - May 26th, 2012 (Southampton, St. Peter Port/Guernsey, Cobh/Ireland, Dublin/Ireland, Belfast/Ireland, Liverpool/England, Glasgow/Scotland, Invergordon/Scotland, Lehavre/France)

We are hoping for Suggestions for "On Your Own" Excursions. My research shows that some Ports have the Hop On/Hop Off Bus Tours and I would like to hear from anyone who used them. What was your experience (Good and/or BAD). Also Transportation to/from the Ship to the Center of Town - did you use Cabs, Trains, the Ships Shuttle Services.

Transportation to Paris: In spite of the travel time - we are planning to go to PARIS when we arrive in LeHavre - and are debating whether to take the Ships Excursion Shuttle to Paris (Cost I believe is $129 per person) - or the Train. If anyone has done this can you give us your Opinion.

This is our lst time at these ports and we are looking to do a "highlights type tour" in each port.

Usually we have a family of 6 with us and book all private tours but since it is ONLY the 2 of us this time traveling we thought we might have more flexibility to Do it On Our Own - and pick and choose our points of interests rather than be tied into a full tour situation. But certainly don't want to be LOST or risk missing the ship's departure time either.

Suggestions appreciated.....Sharon and Larry in Bucks County, PA

:)Hi Sharon & Larry, Did this cruise with my best friend & her husband in 2009 and would do it again in a heartbeat! In Guernsey we used their local bus. I think it was Routes 7 and 7A. One is clockwise and the other counter clockwise around the island. For about the equivalent of $1.00 US, you get a wonderful trip. Its not a tour bus - locals happily answer questions. In Cobh we took a ship tour to Kinsale, then walked around Cobh. Dublin - used Princess Shuttle to get to town then the Hop-on Hop-off. Found it a great way to see Dublin. Belfast we used McComb's Tours to Giant's Causeway. Trip includes a drive along the coast, good lunch, and tour of Belfast. It cost the 3 of us less than it would have cost 2 of us with Princess. Liverpool, bought the Liverpool Pass. Glasgow, enjoy the welcome the locals provide. We used a taxi. Invergordon/Loch Ness - did a ship tour. Edinboro - bought castle tickets on line, took a taxi to the Castle and then walked down the Golden Mile (with many stops). Our taxi picked us up & brought us back to the ship. Le Havre - took the ship tour and it was a long but great day tin Paris. If you'd like more details, let me know - we're pretty close. Have a great cruise, Roseanne

Archived