I'm trying not to panic!! It's not working!

dogchopper

I have a cruise booked for Nov 13th for me and my sister. It's her first cruise, my 5th. But, it's my first time flying. Usually we drive but my sister and I are coming from different states.

Ok my panic... How on earth do you fit everything in one of those little carry-on bags? It's only a 4 day cruise but... You have a nice dress for formal night, 2 pairs of shorts, 4 tops. Nice pants for dinner non formal night and maybe a nice top, Dress shoes, sandals, hair dryer, curling iron, make up, some minor meds (like aspirin, heart burn stuff....) one pair of jeans in case it's chilly, socks and unmentionables.. How on earth will it all fit in a 22x14 bag..

And then what happens when you buy stuff on your trip...

What do I do?

No way could I just use a carry on...definitely need a checked bag.

But between yourself and your sister- decide who will bring what. By this I mean- you both don't need to bring hair dryers, hair spray, curling irons, aspirin, heart burn stuff, etc...decide who will bring what so you don't have 2 of everything! only 1 person bring a camera and then when you get home you can email them to each other...you know, things like that...

And I like the space bag things that you push all the air out of. Your bag will weigh the same but at least you can fit more in it (which I guess, in turn, would actually make it heavier...LOL!! Oh well- just don't go over the 50 pound limit I think there is for flights...)

Have fun!!!

Well is it 25 each way cuz I'm real cheap and I'd be ok with $25 but $50 is too much for me.

And good point on the jeans... This is a nightmare....:rolleyes:

Probably each way, but some carriers allow one bag for free. Worth a phone call.

Your other options are to bring less or panic.

Well is it 25 each way cuz I'm real cheap and I'd be ok with $25 but $50 is too much for me.

And good point on the jeans... This is a nightmare....:rolleyes:

I dont even see where you said what airline you are on?

I paid $28 each way to check a bag on Spirit last month, but it was a 7 day and they want $30 each way to carry a bag on. (unless you belong to their club).

I would just use a checked bag. I can't bring enough sunblock in a carryon to get me through a cruise with the 3oz or less rule on liquids for flying. I go through 2 or 3 8oz tubes in a week on a cruise (I sunburn really easily!) Add in the contact solution, foundation, moisturizer, conditioner, moutwash, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. and no way can I get it all in a quart ziploc in 3 oz sizes or less. So I just suck it up and pay the bag check fees.

Well I've got the panic down to a science all the sudden.

Good point on wearing the jeans, it will be cold when I leave here, I didn't think of that.

And I did talk to my sister about splitting some stuff between us. Ugh,

Never had this problem before because we always drive since its usually 5 to 7 people going and it's cheaper to drive in that situation.

I dont even see where you said what airline you are on?

I paid $28 each way to check a bag on Spirit last month, but it was a 7 day and they want $30 each way to carry a bag on. (unless you belong to their club).

We are both flying delta, I think it's 25 and I assume that's each way :mad:

You could wear the jeans instead of packing them.

Great advice! Also, I am a fan of rolling my clothes. Lay out your shorts and tops flat on top of each other and roll them tight, then put in suitcase and do the same with all your other clothes. Jam them in and ditto on the check with your sister advice so you don't have two of everything. Pick one pair of shoes for evenings, one pair of sandals and wear your comfortable walking shoes. You'll be fine! Really!

I have a cruise booked for Nov 13th for me and my sister. It's her first cruise, my 5th. But, it's my first time flying. Usually we drive but my sister and I are coming from different states.

Ok my panic... How on earth do you fit everything in one of those little carry-on bags? It's only a 4 day cruise but... You have a nice dress for formal night, 2 pairs of shorts, 4 tops. Nice pants for dinner non formal night and maybe a nice top, Dress shoes, sandals, hair dryer, curling iron, make up, some minor meds (like aspirin, heart burn stuff....) one pair of jeans in case it's chilly, socks and unmentionables.. How on earth will it all fit in a 22x14 bag..

What do I do?

In my signature is a packing video for a carry on, it's good stuff, I have tried it. I have checked a second bag (returning) twice and was not charged for it. Worth trying. Good luck.:)

One rolling bag, one oversized tote. Put meds and makeup in tote, wear jeans and sweater. Use the hairdryer onboard. Heavens- we can pack for a month in those size bags. Be sure your nice dress is a light weight one that rolls into nothing. Have you actually tried packing the stuff yet?

What do I do?

Have you tried getting all of that in a carry on? I think it will fit if you wear the jeans. Plus you can also take a personal bag or purse that sits under the seat in front of you...you can take a large purse and put make-up and meds in it and whatever won't fit in the suitcase. I think it will work! Buy the sunscreen in port or on the ship. Maybe someone else said this, you could check one bag and split the cost.

Does the airline allow you one personal "bag" and one carry on?

What I do is take the carry on and then I take about a 12x12 duffle (small enough to fit under the seat) and put more stuff in it and just throw my wallet and stuff in that or a small wristlet. Try the bundle method or rolling to help utilize all the space you can.

My BF and I managed a carry on each for our 7 day in the spring... just bring shirts you can switch up with different bottoms and check in to see if you can bring a garment bag as an additional carry on ...ive seen some do.

I cant believe how nosy ppl are regarding why people wont spend the money on checked bags or whatever it is they dont want to . You DO NOT know their situation. $25 each way is alot of DODs for me or hey maybe I will use it as an additional payment for a bill. Thats not what the OP asked so mind your business.

-Your clothes list seems fine.

-share items with your sister.

-Limit the number of shoes. Wear your bulkiest on the plane.

-You can buy suntan lotion after you land.

-use packing cubes, compression bags, bundle or roll your clothes.

-use every space available, including inside your shoes.

-Any liquid medicine goes into a differnet bag and must be taken out. We have had eye drops and contact lens solution in this bag and have no problem, even flying out of JFK on 9/11.

Some websites

http://www.tsa.gov/311/

http://www.onebag.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/06/business/businessspecial/20100506-pack-ss-11.html

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1416941

My BF and I managed a carry on each for our 7 day in the spring... just bring shirts you can switch up with different bottoms and check in to see if you can bring a garment bag as an additional carry on ...ive seen some do.

I cant believe how nosy ppl are regarding why people wont spend the money on checked bags or whatever it is they dont want to . You DO NOT know their situation. $25 each way is alot of DODs for me or hey maybe I will use it as an additional payment for a bill. Thats not what the OP asked so mind your business.

Wow did they delete those posts:confused:

Archived