I'm trying not to panic!! It's not working!

dogchopper

Southwest flies to almost every port that Carnival leaves from so for anyone reading this thread (obviously not the OP since she already has her tickets) I strongly recommend Southwest! I try to never fly any other airline.

Personally I would cut back on some on-board drinks or buying souveniers in order to save the $50 necessary to just check a bag and have peace of mind to bring the stuff that I want. In the grand scheme of a vacation where you are flying and taking a cruise, $50 is not much money and if you cannot spend that extra it should be easy to cut back somewhere else. That's my advice, but I am impressed with people fitting everything into a little carry on.

[B] 3 or 4 travel sized sunscreen bottles should do and will pack in shoes, or just fit aroundin the small suitcase. Put each in its own zip lock bag. Or reserve the outside pocket of suitcase for a large zip lock bag with all your makeup/sunscreen/hair stuff[/B]

Remember if you are flying you have to have all lotions and liquids in ONE smallish plastic bag. And it has to be out of your suitcase for security screening. And check your sizes- we had a 4.5 oz thing of toothpaste and the limit is 4.0 oz. Brand new into the trash.

You can do it! Here's my 5 day cruise packing list. It fits in carry-on size bag:

SLY’S 5 NITE CRUISE PACKING LIST

Wear onboard:
1 pair jeans, nice shirt, sneakers

Pack in suitcase:
1 pair dressy black pants
1 pair cargo pants
2 pairs shorts
6 shirts (3 casual, 3 dressy)
1 blazer, jacket or long sleeve sweater
1 nice dress (maybe)
2nd bathing suit
Bathing suit cover up or dress
5 pairs socks
5 pairs panties
1 pair dressy shoes
1 pair water shoes or flip flops/sandles

[U]Carry on to ship in big backpack or purse[/U]
12 pack soda, water, or juice each
1 bottle wine each
Bathing suit (if you want to hit pool early)
Camera & extra batteries
Meds & valuables

[quote name='StingRaysfan']One thing that hasn't been addressed is souvenirs and taking them back home... OP... maybe pack some older cloths that you don't mind tossing at the end of your trip... you are probably going to have to limit yourself to purchasing small things.
[/quote]

We're planning to check a bag on the way back with all of our dirty clothes in it. And rum. Can't forget the rum. The airport at home is teeny tiny, and we won't be as concerned if our luggage gets lost on the way home!

[quote name='jenninlaca']Southwest flies to almost every port that Carnival leaves from so for anyone reading this thread (obviously not the OP since she already has her tickets) I strongly recommend Southwest! I try to never fly any other airline.

[B]Personally I would cut back on some on-board drinks or buying souveniers in order to save the $50 necessary to just check a bag and have peace of mind to bring the stuff that I want. In the grand scheme of a vacation where you are flying and taking a cruise, $50 is not much money and if you cannot spend that extra it should be easy to cut back somewhere else. That's my advice, but I am impressed with people fitting everything into a little carry on.[/B][/quote]

I agree however I just include it into the price of my airfare.........so in order to fly I need x amount of dollars.......

[quote name='5waldos'][B] 3 or 4 travel sized sunscreen bottles should do and will pack in shoes, or just fit aroundin the small suitcase. Put each in its own zip lock bag. Or reserve the outside pocket of suitcase for a large zip lock bag with all your makeup/sunscreen/hair stuff[/B]

Remember if you are flying you have to have all lotions and liquids in ONE smallish plastic bag. And it has to be out of your suitcase for security screening. And check your sizes- we had a 4.5 oz thing of toothpaste and the limit is 4.0 oz. Brand new into the trash.[/quote]

I was just going to say the same thing. All liquids you carry on the plane must go in a quart size ziploc in 3oz or less bottles. 1 ziploc per person.

Also, buying sunscreen on the ship will eat into your savings - it was going for around $20 a tube in the ship store the last time I looked.

I always pack a small purse inside a larger bag that can double as a beach / excursion bag and call the larger bag my purse. Kills two birds with one stone.

Just a thought that if need more than the amount of toiletries that the TSA allows, you can pick them up at a store between the airport and the pier. (Although I don't think I am a "high maintenance" girl I do need my hairspray, mousse and lots of sunscreen). However, if you can't get to a store after the airport, and you need to buy them on the ship or in port you might spend close enough to the amount it would cost to check the bag. We paid $18.00 for sunscreen in St. Thomas!

[quote name='5waldos'][B] 3 or 4 travel sized sunscreen bottles should do and will pack in shoes, or just fit aroundin the small suitcase. Put each in its own zip lock bag. Or reserve the outside pocket of suitcase for a large zip lock bag with all your makeup/sunscreen/hair stuff[/B]

Remember if you are flying you have to have all lotions and liquids in ONE smallish plastic bag. And it has to be out of your suitcase for security screening. And check your sizes- we had a 4.5 oz thing of toothpaste and [B][COLOR=red]the limit is 4.0 oz.[/COLOR][/B] Brand new into the trash.[/quote]

The limit is 3 oz.

[quote name='dogchopper']I have a cruise booked for Nov 13th for me and my sister. It's her first cruise, my 5th. But, it's my first time flying. Usually we drive but my sister and I are coming from different states.
Ok my panic... How on earth do you fit everything in one of those little carry-on bags? It's only a 4 day cruise but... You have a nice dress for formal night, 2 pairs of shorts, 4 tops. Nice pants for dinner non formal night and maybe a nice top, Dress shoes, sandals, hair dryer, curling iron, make up, some minor meds (like aspirin, heart burn stuff....) one pair of jeans in case it's chilly, socks and unmentionables.. How on earth will it all fit in a 22x14 bag..
And then what happens when you buy stuff on your trip...

What do I do?[/QUOTE]

Roll everything, shirts, slacks, shorts, invest in a compression packing bags or use large ziplog bags. I have done this and it is nice to have for the wet swimwear coming home. Carnival has hair dryers I leave mine at home. Dig out your largest purse this will hold lots of little items meds, jewelry ect, as well as the camera and documents needed. I have done a 6 night cruise with a travel bag. Limit your shoes, the pair you wear on the plane is the everyday shoes, pack dress shoes for evening that will work for dressy night as well. Don't over pack your bag, you have to drag it everywhere. If it seems daunting the the best bet is to check your bag.

Taking a backpack or very large tote bag as your "personal' item. Even after you put your purse in it, you should have some extra space.

Also, I now own some quick dry pants. Not only do they take less space then jeans, you can wash them out in the sink and they are dry the next day. And my daughter loves the converible ones that become shorts when you zip off the legs.

It's already been mentioned a couple of times - but definitely roll your clothes!! I fit 7 days worth of cruise clothes (minus my 2 "elegant" dresses that went into the garment bag with my hubby's suits) into a carry on - including a pair of jeans, 2 pairs of shoes, a pair of dress sandals, and all my swimsuits and coverups. Since you're only going to be gone 4 days, you should be able to get the other stuff in there too!

How are you getting to the port from the airport? If you're taking a taxi, just ask them to stop off at a CVS/Walgreens/etc on your way to the port and run in and grab what you need!

I wouldn't recommend that space bags as you can't suck all the air out of them before you return home.

Happy packing! You can do it!!

[quote name='tropicaledrink']It's already been mentioned a couple of times - but definitely roll your clothes!! I fit 7 days worth of cruise clothes (minus my 2 "elegant" dresses that went into the garment bag with my hubby's suits) into a carry on - including a pair of jeans, 2 pairs of shoes, a pair of dress sandals, and all my swimsuits and coverups. Since you're only going to be gone 4 days, you should be able to get the other stuff in there too!

How are you getting to the port from the airport? If you're taking a taxi, just ask them to stop off at a CVS/Walgreens/etc on your way to the port and run in and grab what you need!

I wouldn't recommend that space bags as you can't suck all the air out of them before you return home.

Happy packing! You can do it!![/quote]

They actually make special travel space bags. You just roll them and the air goes out. They really work great to condense. Have to be careful with them when checking a large suitcase, though, since it's really easy to go over the weight limit when using them.

[quote name='dogchopper']We are both flying delta, I think it's 25 and I assume that's each way :mad:[/QUOTE]
Seriously? You're stressing over $50? Do you know what stress does to your health? Check a bag and and realize it is just part of flying. In fact, when i look at air fares, I figure in the $25 for checked bag. Just like when I look at cruise fare, I figure in the auto grat. as part as the expense of the cruise. Chill and enjoy your cruise.
Pat

[quote name='Luckyroot']you get one carry on and one "personal item" such as a purse. I make my personal item be a backpack and stuff it with as much as I can!

It isn't pretty, but it works[/QUOTE]

Good call on the personal item. That's what we did. During the summer, we went on a Three day Disney Cruise and 7 days in Orlando afterwards. We each had the biggest Carry-on you can get along with a backpack. As long as your Carry-on fits in the overhead bin and your backpack can fit under the seat, you should be good to go. We did this out of convienience more than for cost as we had some tight connecting flights to make. I actually had clothes that I didn't even wear! The only downside was having to purchase some toiletries that were larger than 3oz. We flew Delta and Continental.

[quote name='dogchopper']Yeah I was worried about the return trip too. If it's tight on the way there it will be worse on the way back.

I just checked deltas website and it said 1 carry on and one personal bag (which included purses, laptops or camera bags) so, that blows the backpack idea cuz it's either that or a purse and I need a purse[/QUOTE]

Put your purse in your backpack. You don't need a large purse on a cruise. Be realistic about when you will really use the purse on the ship. Sometimes I get a large shopping bag-throw variuos essentials in it along with my purse.
pat

[quote name='tropicaledrink']It's already been mentioned a couple of times - but definitely roll your clothes!! I fit 7 days worth of cruise clothes (minus my 2 "elegant" dresses that went into the garment bag with my hubby's suits) into a carry on - including a pair of jeans, 2 pairs of shoes, a pair of dress sandals, and all my swimsuits and coverups. Since you're only going to be gone 4 days, you should be able to get the other stuff in there too!

Happy packing! You can do it!![/QUOTE]
Well I am gonna practice packing and see, nut space bags aren't a bad idea. And putting a small purse in a backpack is doable too,
I'm not sure but I think we wre going to do a shuttle so stopping won't happen... I wonder how much a taxi from Orlando to port canaveral would be???

[quote name='dogchopper']Well I am gonna practice packing and see, nut space bags aren't a bad idea. And putting a small purse in a backpack is doable too,
I'm not sure but I think we wre going to do a shuttle so stopping won't happen... I wonder how much a taxi from Orlando to port canaveral would be???[/QUOTE]
Oh boy, my spell correct got me. I meant to say ' but space bags' not nut!

[quote name='dogchopper']Well I am gonna practice packing and see, nut space bags aren't a bad idea. And putting a small purse in a backpack is doable too,
I'm not sure but I think we wre going to do a shuttle so stopping won't happen... I wonder how much a taxi from Orlando to port canaveral would be???[/QUOTE]

a taxi from Orlando to Port Canerval would be very expensive. Over 30 miles. A shuttle is your best option. Your personal items for a 4 day cruise can be put into 2 to 3 oz. bottles available at target etc. As another poster has said, don't count on space bags as you have no way on the ship to suck the air out of the bags when you are packing.
Pat

[quote name='5waldos']Fly Southwest- cheap fares and 2 free checked bags. Of course, you may need to move to a city that SW flies out of but sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get what you want:D[/QUOTE]
We don't have southwest here, we are in Asheville nc and are lucky to even have delta. You are lucky

[quote name='quickrate']Seriously? You're stressing over $50? Do you know what stress does to your health? Check a bag and and realize it is just part of flying. In fact, when i look at air fares, I figure in the $25 for checked bag. Just like when I look at cruise fare, I figure in the auto grat. as part as the expense of the cruise. Chill and enjoy your cruise.
Pat[/QUOTE]

I personally have a philosophical objection to paying for checking a bag. And yes- I do know what stress does to my health- and that much is- none. Nice that you figure life that way- I figure it another way.

Chill and enjoy other takes on life.

Archived