Lunch and/or dinner recommendations while in Alaska?

azguy

Howdy all,

I thought I'd query those of you who would be kind enough to respond. Specifically, looking for lunch & dinner recommendations for . . .

My wife and I. I will try anything. My wife is a little more picky. She does not like steak or seafood. That leaves for her Italian, chicken, etc. Our favorites are "American" type foods, Mexican, and I can go Italian as well. For this trip, we are looking to dine mostly casual or "smart" casual.

Any recommendations in:

Anchorage, Teektana, Denali area, Seward, Skagway, Ketchikan, Vancouver?

Sorry for any late night spelling mistakes. :o

If you follow this link http://www.anchorage.net/671.cfm you'll find a restaurant directory for Anchorage.

We have lots of good local as well as chain restaurants.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thanks so much Susan for the links! Our last night will be in Anchorage and want it to be a great end to a great trip. We will be staying at the downtown Marriott, so I used your link making a list of the ones we might want to try. I'm a AAA member so I actually went to their website and printed directions to each from our hotel. I was happy to see, everything is close by and we will be able to walk.

I listed the following: Glacier Brewhouse; Phyllis Cafe and Salmon Bake; Moose A'LA Mode; Humpy's Great Alaskan Alehouse; Cafe 817 & Muffin Man Bakery; Snow Goose Restaurant & Sleeping Lady Brewing Co; and Touch of Russia Cafe and Deli.

Of these, which do you feel would be good choices for myself husband and 25 year old daughter. We want to have a fun night possibly eating then going to a brew house type place. The bakery was for the next morning before we leave.

If you have other not to miss places, I'd appreciate that as well!

Thanks in advance!

Sharon

In Denali I recommend the dinner theatre place. The food is good - ribs, salmon, etc. and they do a Robert Service show. Otherwise I like the Lynx Creek pizza place. In Skagway and Seward the best way is just to walk down the main street until you find something interesting. There are only a limited number of restaurants.

I listed the following: Glacier Brewhouse; Phyllis Cafe and Salmon Bake; Moose A'LA Mode; Humpy's Great Alaskan Alehouse; Cafe 817 & Muffin Man Bakery; Snow Goose Restaurant & Sleeping Lady Brewing Co; and Touch of Russia Cafe and Deli.

Sharon

Sharon,

You've got a great list and all within a nice stroll from the Marriott. By the way I've heard the restaurant at the Marriott is very good. I haven't had a chance to try it but went to a wedding reception there in August and the food was absolutely delicious.

Two of the places have their own brew pubs on site - Glacier Brewhouse and Snow Goose, while Humpy's has a wide variety of local beers available. All 3 have great food (personal experience) but that being said Humpy's has more of a bar atmosphere than the other 2. Be warned that during tourist season they can get very busy and you may have somewhat of a wait. Have never eaten at Phyllis or the other places mentioned.

Another good place if you want Northern Italian is actually Glacier Brew's sister restaurant - Orso Ristorante (they do take reservations, and their Chocolate Molten Cake is to die for - http://www.orsoalaska.com/) or there is Simon & Seaforts (great seafood or you could go to their bar and have a drink and this fantastic hot dungness crab and artichoke dip - http://www.r-u-i.com/sim/) So if you want a little more ambience for dinner and then head to one of the brew pubs, that gives you a couple of more options.

Since I have never been to Anchorage I was wondering the same thing. My soon to be DH and I are staying at the captain cook. Besides the hotel restaurants which ones are close. I love seafood or a good steak. We will not have a rental car so within a short walk or a short cab ride would be perfect.

McManders99,

From the post I just did for great seafood, and their prime isn't bad either, I'd check on the link to Simon & Seaforts. It's not cheap, expect if you want probably 2 drinks, appetizers, entrees, desserts and tips you're looking at $50 per person.

Another great place for steaks is Club Paris http://www.clubparisrestaurant.com/origins.html

The Captain Cook is like 5th and I and Simon's is at 5th and L and Club Paris is at 5th and E. So 3 blocks for Simon's or 4 blocks for Club Paris.

Those are a couple of others downtown.

Sharon,

Two of the places have their own brew pubs on site - Glacier Brewhouse and Snow Goose, while Humpy's has a wide variety of local beers available. All 3 have great food (personal experience) but that being said Humpy's has more of a bar atmosphere than the other 2.

Of the three pub type places, if you had one evening would you recommend? Guess since all three have good food, which has the most fun atmosphere? I'd like to say I'm intrested for my 25 year old daughter, but I have to say her Mama loves a fun time too!

Thanks once again Susan for your valuable feedback!

Sharon

Sharon,

It's a big toss up between Glacier Brewhouse http://www.glacierbrewhouse.com/home.htm and Humpy's - http://www.humpys.com/.

Hummmm, which one? Maybe their web sites will help.

Okay you could always have dinner at Glacier Brewhouse and stop at Humpy's on the way back (only about a block out of the way) for a drink then back to the Marriott, or vice versa. That way you could experience both :D

Now for fun, can't guarantee that because never know about what's going on during that night, but sometimes Humpy's has live music, so if they would, I'd do dinner at the Brewhouse and then head to Humpy's....just let your daughter know the saying about the men we have in Alaska - The odds are good but the goods are odd :D:D

Glad I could be of some help. Love helping out those that are coming to Alaska and Anchorage.

Susan :)

Thanks again Susan! That saying is too funny! Sounds like a good plan...dinner at the Glacier Brewhouse then Humhy's on the way back!

We're looking forward to our evening in Anchorage! The best part is that in planning this trip we've already decided...it won't be our last!

Sharon

• 2 months later...

Just reporting back:

We had a fantastic meal at the Glacier Brewhouse in Anchorage. Plus, it was right across the street from our hotel so it was perfect! The beer is good, too and if you don't know which one you want you can get a 'sample' pack of 4 (3-4 oz glasses) and then decide!

Sharon,

It's a big toss up between Glacier Brewhouse http://www.glacierbrewhouse.com/home.htm and Humpy's - http://www.humpys.com/.

Hummmm, which one? Maybe their web sites will help.

Okay you could always have dinner at Glacier Brewhouse and stop at Humpy's on the way back (only about a block out of the way) for a drink then back to the Marriott, or vice versa. That way you could experience both :D

Now for fun, can't guarantee that because never know about what's going on during that night, but sometimes Humpy's has live music, so if they would, I'd do dinner at the Brewhouse and then head to Humpy's....just let your daughter know the saying about the men we have in Alaska - The odds are good but the goods are odd :D:D

Glad I could be of some help. Love helping out those that are coming to Alaska and Anchorage.

I just came across this post a few pages back and can't resist in replying...since our wonderful time in Alaska is now a wonderful memory and it's a definate: We're coming back!

We did go to the Glacier Brewhouse and had a really nice time. Since it was an early morning the next day flying home, we didn't go to Humpy's (next time though!). Now about our daughter...she didn't go with us. She was invited out by our tour director to have fun with he and his friends. Fun she had...she took a taxi back around 4am and even made it up in time to leave for our flight! She didn't eat, but had a great time experiencing fun bars in your great town!

Thanks Susan for your input! Our only negative...we didn't have enough time in your area so next trip we will be staying longer between the Anchorage and Seward area!

Sharon

Sharon,

It's so great to hear from you again.

Glad to hear that you had such a great time and your daughter got to experience some of our local nightlife. It can be quite an adventure.

And it's even better news that you'll be coming back.

First of all, thank you for your dining suggestions posted to this board. I, for one, really appreciate it. We will be staying at the Hilton Anchorage next May and was wondering if the suggestions you have made for the downtown area are within walking distance of the Hilton. Sometimes blocks on a map can be real disceiving. If not, any other suggestions you could offer? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Italy52,

You're quite welcome. I'm always happy to help if I can!

You'll have a slight hill to come up from the Hilton. The Hilton is at 3rd and E and Glacier Brewhouse, Orso are at 5th between G&H. So you're 2 blocks up and about 3 blocks over. Our blocks are regular sized blocks. The reason I say that is because I had a friend in Las Vegas once say it was only a couple of blocks, but then again a block in Las Vegas can be the front of 2 mega sized remotes :D

Humpy's is at 6th between F&G. The Fifth Avenue Mall is between 5th and 6th between C&E.

Rumrunner's is right up the hill but that's a pretty laid back place.

If you're here mid May on on a weekend we have the Market Festival - http://www.anchoragemarkets.com/

Actually our downtown isn't very large at all. Just remember in downtown our numbered streets run east/west and our letters, north/south.

Italy52,

You're quite welcome. I'm always happy to help if I can!

You'll have a slight hill to come up from the Hilton. The Hilton is at 3rd and E and Glacier Brewhouse, Orso are at 5th between G&H. So you're 2 blocks up and about 3 blocks over. Our blocks are regular sized blocks. The reason I say that is because I had a friend in Las Vegas once say it was only a couple of blocks, but then again a block in Las Vegas can be the front of 2 mega sized remotes :D

Humpy's is at 6th between F&G. The Fifth Avenue Mall is between 5th and 6th between C&E.

Rumrunner's is right up the hill but that's a pretty laid back place.

If you're here mid May on on a weekend we have the Market Festival - http://www.anchoragemarkets.com/

Actually our downtown isn't very large at all. Just remember in downtown our numbered streets run east/west and our letters, north/south.

Thanks for the block clarification, your Vegas comment is the reason I asked. Everyone has a different interpretation of "a block." :)

The Market Festival sounds fun. We will be staying in Anchorage May 20 & 21 (Sat. & Sun) so your suggestion is a good one.

Thanks also for the "heads-up" on the street directions. Will let DH know. I am so directionally challenged that wherever I am heading is north to me.

We are so looking forward to our trip. This will be our 25th anniversary celebration. DH used to work in Alaska in the 70s (pipeline, frost-heave project--Fairbanks, Tok, Delta Junction areas). Looking forward to a few days in Anchorage, taking the train to Whittier, and boarding the Island Princess. Many thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

***You'll love the Sapphire. Sailed her in May from Seattle-Settle (Inside Passage). Enjoy your cruise!

Get me out of town and I'm directionally challenged too so besides our streets doing what they do, always remember the mountains are east, the water is west, Wasilla is North and Homer is south :D

You'll have a very short stroll to the Market on that weekend then because it's kitty corner from the Hilton. So that will be less than a block walk :D

Great to hear more comments on the Sapphire. Met some people through these boards when we did the Jewel this April and some of them were going on the Sapphire, so hopped on board too.

As you get closer and have any more questions, please feel free to ask, especially about Anchorage.

Just returned from Alaska today. In Anchorage, we ate at Orso's for dinner. It was a little pricey, but delicious.If you decide to go to Orso's, make a reservation before you leave for Alaska. Alaska is wonderful. Have a fantastic time. We had breakfast in a place called Snow City. It was a place patronized by the locals. IMHO, breakfast was great. They had the best strawberry jam. Lois

Glad to hear everyone is enjoying the food in our city. When my Mom visits from Southern Illinois she loves to visit all our great local restaurants versus having to go to a chain one that she has at home.

Archived