Locations for healthy toddler meals around 5:30pm?

JMB22

We will be on the Freedom of the Seas in January 2012. DS will be 19 months. Dinner time is around 5:30pm at home. (Early, I know, but it works best.) MTD, MDR, and Windjammer don't start serving dinner until 6:00pm though. You might be thinking 30 minutes isn't that long to wait, but for DS, it's a lifetime, and I'm trying to avoid meltdowns. :) Snacks until 6:00pm will just ruin his appetite for dinner.

Any ideas of where we can give him a healthy toddler meal at 5:30pm? Chicken/turkey, with pasta/potato/rice, and a vegetable would be ideal.

Thank you in advance. :)

We will be on the Freedom of the Seas in January 2012. DS will be 19 months. Dinner time is around 5:30pm at home. (Early, I know, but it works best.) MTD, MDR, and Windjammer don't start serving dinner until 6:00pm though. You might be thinking 30 minutes isn't that long to wait, but for DS, it's a lifetime, and I'm trying to avoid meltdowns. :) Snacks until 6:00pm will just ruin his appetite for dinner.

Any ideas of where we can give him a healthy toddler meal at 5:30pm? Chicken/turkey, with pasta/potato/rice, and a vegetable would be ideal.

Thank you in advance. :)

The reason why RCI never worked for us. We eat at 5:30 and are out of the house by 5AM. To scheduled for our life style. Not a relaxing vacation.

Room service does not have a varied menu and their dinner probably doesn't start until 6 pm either.

Don't think OP was asking for a varied menu. I think she was asking for healthier meal options. I've seen decent sandwiches and chicken on the room service menu mid-afternoon. Maybe it varies by ship...

Same problem we have always had when they were younger. You will have to break down and give a snack (we keep some boxes of cereal on hand from Windjammer for a mid-afternoon snack)

Or we order some cheese plates from room service.

The Windjammer is open for late afternoon snacks before it shuts down for dinner -- so we grab something there. BUT, it IS always about getting them SNACKS in the afternoon.

I don't relish meltdowns (my youngest is the queen of them) - so in order to avoid them - I plan in advance.

Snacks mid afternoon - then MDR dinner at 6pm.

They are running around so much that it doesn't REALLY kill their appetite for dinner. And frankly, if it does for one day, then it does. A child isn't going to starve themselves. So when one ate too many snacks in the afternoon and didn't eat as much at 6pm dinner, so be it, they still sat and waited for us at dinner. And then later that night, the same child would want a LATE NIGHT snack.

No worries, just be flexible. :D

Also if you do end up waiting it out for mdr, there will be a fruit snack (or similar) waiting for your LO on the table as soon as you arrive so you won't have to wait for ordered food to get them started.

Our son eats tea at nursery at 4.30pm but the time difference help us to shake his routine a little - don't know if you are travelling through time zone to make the trip?

Room service should have some choices that work, or the Cafe Promenade usually has sandwiches & wraps with bread/meat/veggies. Just go get it without him, because they're in a case right next to huge plates of cookies. ;)

i hate to say it, but if you and YC can't be flexible then a cruise isnt for you. we have taken DD on 2 cruises and we have barely stayed on schedule for a single day, and she was FINE. an extra snack like applesauce or Plum pouch in the later afternoon wont kill him or ruin his dinner.

Archived