Legend, Tampa

joschwin

I am considering a cruise on the Legend out of Tampa in Dec for Western Caribbean. I am looking at an obstructed view Balcany Room 5148. Was wondering if since it is looks to be on the edge of the life boat just how obstructed it would be? it is a catagory 7A what ever that means.

Also I was thinking of maybe going a day or so early is Ybor City a place to sight see? I thought there was a trolly from the cruise port anyone done this? Also any hotels near the terminal that you would suggest. Also what would be the easiest transportation from the airport.

Thanks in advance

I am considering a cruise on the Legend out of Tampa in Dec for Western Caribbean. I am looking at an obstructed view Balcany Room 5148. Was wondering if since it is looks to be on the edge of the life boat just how obstructed it would be? it is a catagory 7A what ever that means.

Also I was thinking of maybe going a day or so early is Ybor City a place to sight see? I thought there was a trolly from the cruise port anyone done this? Also any hotels near the terminal that you would suggest. Also what would be the easiest transportation from the airport.

Thanks in advance

The view of the sea from the 7A balconies is obstructed by the life boats directly below the cabins. You'll look out to sea... not down at it. Many folks don't have a problem with this at all.

Can't help you with the trolley for Ybor City but you sure can get some darn good cigars there!

:)

I think the closest hotel/motel to the port is the Hampton Inn & Suites, Ybor City. (Obviously, it's in Ybor City, and right on the trolley line, as well.) Phone number there is 813-247-6700. There are lots and lots of good bars, and restaurants in Ybor City, but I don't know about spending the day sight seeing there? Another thing about that particular Hampton, is that you can probably see the ship from there. It's quite close as I recall.

I wouldn't advise booking a flight home much before noon. I've always been off the "Legend" by 9 A.M. or so, (We're MileStone and get #1 tags, but the entire ship is usually cleared by 10.) It's about a 20 minute ride to the airport from the cruise port, but still,,,,I'd be concerned if I had an early flight. Too many things can happen to delay disembarkation! :eek:

Have a GREAT cruise.. "Legend" is a super good ship.

"SKY"

I've heard that the rooms behind the first 3 lifeboats on each side forward have a little bit more obstruction due to something that sticks up from those lifeboats. Look at a photo of Legend and you'll see what I mean. From what I understand, you'll have a little better view if you pick cabin 5168 or higher.

I have stayed at the Hampton in Ybor and its nice but you cant walk or see the cruise ship from there(Trolly there)Ybor is alright if you are into the bar thing and cigar thing..(I AM).On our second cruise we went down a day early and did the Ybor thing..I would do Bush Gardens again if we go back!

Iv heard Holiday Inn has specials at $89 that include both the airport and port shuttle.

http://www.visittampabay.com/visitors/cruise/cruise-specials/

I went with 3 different choices (long story), but went with hotels that have a free airport shuttle but will have to pay for the shuttle to the port. hotwire, priceline and lastminutetravel all used for one of the bookings lol

I dont know if its a huge savings since I still need to pay to get to the port, but I got some great hotels on the cheap.

I would ALWAYS fly in the day before a cruise ..why risk your cruise if the plane has some malfunction?

We were in cabin 5179 last year on the Legend and it was perfect. The top of the lifeboat was about even with the floor of the balcony, so no problem at all with your view off the balcony. The first three lifeboats on each side of the ship sit up a bit higher, but the back three on each side are just right.... CAT 7A.

Thanks in advance

The first three liftboats from the front are move of an obstruction, about 1/2 way up the balcony. The ones futher back come up only to the bottom of the balcony. We love 7A cabins, a great value and the obstruction is not a bother to us. We actually got lucky on the Legend in August, on 2 port days they lowered the lifeboat below out balcony for crew drills so we had 2 port days that it was gone.

There is a trolley/streetcar in Tampa that runs from down town convention center /embassy suites all the way down to ybor city. it's about $5 for an all day ride ticket and there are some buy one get one free coupons in the little local maps/guides they have all around town. it's a great way to get round town. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Ybor City last time. Room about $149 but included parking and shuttle to/from cruise terminal. Ybor city is great place. Lots of great bars/restraunts/shops. Great place to spend an afternoon walking around.

Archived