What are your cruise "staples"??

Morgy827

Hey everyone,

My aunt and uncle are cruising for the first time this spring and I thought for Christmas I would give them a first time cruisers basket. I have a few ideas but I'm curious what you would all come up with. What do you NEED on a cruise??

Thanks

Where are they going? Their itinerary might change the answers you get.

Sunscreen, rain panchos, bug spray, dramamine less drowsy (just in case), travel guide and maps to their ports... does their cruise line offer gift cards?

Small first aid kit, bug spray, travel size OTC meds, mini LED candles, over door organizer and hand sanitizer.

Definitely plan things according to their itinerary. For example, if tropical, you could put everything in a cute beach bag they could use!

Also, go by their personalities. Maybe they would want some books, magazines, or soduku puzzles.

What a fun idea!

• 3 weeks later...

if they are going in Caribbean maybe an underwater disposable camera (if you think they plan on snorkeling), sun visors or big floppy hat to block sun. travel sized shampoo/soap?

I always like to upload some "tropical" songs on my ipod before a Caribbean cruise too

also for cruises i usually take a small power strip/extension cord to charge several things over night. Also I take a bag that zips up into a small case and is expandable into a large tote to throw in souvenirs or clothes or anything else I accumulate on the cruise that ends up not fitting in my suitcase on the way home.

...Some people take wrinkle release spray since you can't bring iron and have to send out to get clothes pressed

great gift idea!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I always make sure that we have bon voyage champagne and either chocolate covered strawberries or shrimp cocktail. Its nice to find a bottle of champagne in your room to toast your upcoming adventure.

• 3 weeks later...

I like those clear zipped bags which are stronger than ziplocks (although I use those as well)

It ´s so easy to see all those little bits and pieces quickly.

Sandy in Spain

• 2 months later...

After reading many, many packing suggestions, we tried one on our cruise to Hawaii that worked like a CHARM! Rather than folding up our clothes in suitcases, we left them on hangers with plastic bags over each outfit. Ta-da! Got to Hawaii and everything came out of the suitcases on hangars....and not wrinkled! We were shocked and pleasantly surprised! Is now our No. 1 packing tip. Gotta have binocs, power strip, sticky notes, and an insulated mug. I can't believe no one mentions it, but I ALWAYS pack a small canvas float that packs flat. Talk about handy to have at the beach, and I have used it on EVERY cruise!! We also bring our own snorkel gear as many times the masks the offer just don't fit my face and leak :/ . Bonine, no Dramamine. We also have very distinctive, brightly colored luggage tags so finding our luggage among the sea of luggage (no pun intended) is easy to find. Bon voyage to all!

We love this Belkin surge protector with USB chargers. Small, easy to pack, takes no room in the luggage, and the plug end swivels so it will work regardless of the orientation of the socket.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Surge-Protector-Chargers/dp/B0017HF3XO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346710785&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+power+strip+usb

Archived