Belize City safety?

judyzoo

Is it safe -- for an active, senior, female, alone -- to leave the "Tourism Village" and walk to the Museum of Belize? I'd like to see the museum, and I don't think that I'd feel any more secure taking a taxi on my own than walking.

Is it safe -- for an active, senior, female, alone -- to leave the "Tourism Village" and walk to the Museum of Belize? I'd like to see the museum, and I don't think that I'd feel any more secure taking a taxi on my own than walking.

I would take the taxi or find a walking buddy. as female alone you might atract a "tour guide". less likely in a group.

I would take the taxi or find a walking buddy. as female alone you might atract a "tour guide". less likely in a group.

Thanks for the advice. Belize City -- at least in the area of the Tourism Village -- is probably the only place I've ever been on my 20 or so cruises where it just doesn't seem safe, and I've walked around a lot of cities and towns.

• 2 weeks later...

We walked behind the "fenced" area and it was a little scary. the people are very pushy and demanding. We didn't venture far before heading back to the inside fenced area to shop.

I would not reccomend it alone.

Last time we went, we didn't even get off the ship.

We are gonig again next week, and I'm thinking of booking a cave tour. I think that would be ok.

;)

Wow, thanks. Ive had some pretty gnarly experiences in Ocho Rios, I'm not really big on any of the tours there except the Martha Brea rafting. I usually end up getting off to stretch my legs and or to allow a travel partner who hasn't been to say they have visited Jamaica.

In between the ship and the shopping plaza, I've felt like some guys were so pissed at me for not being interested that we might get into a shoving match.

I like Jamaica, I think the area by the port is just to frenetic with people trying to make fast money. But if Belize is more hostile, that's going to be interesting. What's the area directly by the cruise port like? Any better?

hubby,,,glad I booked a tour,,hubby did cave tubing,,I did airboat tour,,,then tried to walk outside cruise area,,which is all fenced and need ID to get it. I say "Tried" because we walked about 1 block and turned around,,,whew...rough area and had beggars asking for money,,etc...as above posters said...

This was one port where tours are a MUST<,IMO,,,and frankly not one of my favorite,,,in fact ,,my LEAST favorite..sorry

I have to agree with what everyone is saying. We walked to the water taxi station not far away from tourism village with our kids and will never do it again. It felt so overwhelming and it felt dangerous. Not sure if it was dangerous but it certainly felt it. Overall, not a pleasant experience at all. We have been to most Carribean ports and Belize stands out as the most unnerving port of all. We actually try to avoid an itinerary that includes Belize now because once you have done the few main attractions, in our opinion, there is no reason to visit.

2 years ago my wife and I walked to downtown Belize. I'm not intimidated easily, therefore a firm No and everyone left us alone. It is kind of like a dog, if he knows your scared he will threaten you. If you can make it the first 2-3 blocks I think tourist will be fine.

What I don't understand is why the cruiselines don't police this area for their passengers. One or two guards outside the fence could correct this problem.:mad:Once we made it to the post office block, it was delightful to walk into the shopping district. After walking through town we flagged a horse and carriage tour $25 for about 2 hours. By building a fence vs security guards is CRAZY, this reminds me of our Politicians. If they can't correct this problem, why even Stop!:(

Please DO NOT try this by yourself, there is Nothing there worth the chance you MIGHT l be safe!!:eek:

2 years ago my wife and I walked to downtown Belize. I'm not intimidated easily, therefore a firm No and everyone left us alone. It is kind of like a dog, if he knows your scared he will threaten you. If you can make it the first 2-3 blocks I think tourist will be fine.

What I don't understand is why the cruiselines don't police this area for their passengers. One or two guards outside the fence could correct this problem.:mad:Once we made it to the post office block, it was delightful to walk into the shopping district. After walking through town we flagged a horse and carriage tour $25 for about 2 hours. By building a fence vs security guards is CRAZY, this reminds me of our Politicians. If they can't correct this problem, why even Stop!:(

Please DO NOT try this by yourself, there is Nothing there worth the chance you MIGHT l be safe!!:eek:

These are all very good points. I can't understand why the cruiselines aren't doing more. My husband and I tried have talked about this, trying to figure out their thought process. We remembered a tour guide we had many years ago. He was explaining to us the politics of tourism village and the fact that the cruise lines make a ton of many off of the shops inside tourism village (at the expense of the locals who would love a chance to sell inside tourism village but could never affored to). Maybe they don't police the area because they want you to stay inside tourism village (which is a total zoo. We really hate this area.) and spend your money. Just some thoughts.

First trip to Belize. Going this weekend. My husband and I have an excursion planned and paid for. Are we safe to go on it?

Sure; it's only walking around on your own outside the gated area that seems dangerous. I've never felt unsafe on an excursion in Belize.

Just got back from my 4th trip to Belize. I am a solo cruiser and because of that would never venture outside into Belize city. Did see a BBC Ross Kemp program about gangs in Belize city. Personally it does not look safe to me.

On my trips, I book snorkel trip to Ambergryis Caye, shark Ray Alley and Bannister Island. Have never had any issues on these islands and find the people friendly.

The Museum of Belize is on our agenda as well, as well as Nerie's Restaurant. We are also thinking of walking as they appear quite close to the tourism village. I am a big guy but have a little girl with me. I am still thinking of doing it. Though the talk on this board has me wondering a bit.

The Museum of Belize is on our agenda as well, as well as Nerie's Restaurant. We are also thinking of walking as they appear quite close to the tourism village. I am a big guy but have a little girl with me. I am still thinking of doing it. Though the talk on this board has me wondering a bit.

Just do it...Not dangerous, Just annoying.

Have been to Belize two times, each time I got the feeling that it would be unsafe to travel on foot outside the dock area. Belize City does not give you a feeling of safety. Also have been told by tour guides that you do not venture into the countryside without a guide, you might be approached by highway thieves.

Have been to Belize two times, each time I got the feeling that it would be unsafe to travel on foot outside the dock area. Belize City does not give you a feeling of safety. Also have been told by tour guides that you do not venture into the countryside without a guide, you might be approached by highway thieves.

Sound like good marketing for Guides...lol

Belize city is safe during the day. Most people i know feel the same. There is no way you would get me there at night. This can be said about a lot of cities around the globe. I am sure you have read how aggressive the street vendors are. A firm but nice NO THANK YOU works well. I live in San Pedro but shop in the city weekly and am still hit up. I just smile and keep moving. There is no reason to go out on the highway unless you are on a tour or in a rental car.

Just got back from my 4th trip to Belize. I am a solo cruiser and because of that would never venture outside into Belize city. Did see a BBC Ross Kemp program about gangs in Belize city. Personally it does not look safe to me.

On my trips, I book snorkel trip to Ambergryis Caye, shark Ray Alley and Bannister Island. Have never had any issues on these islands and find the people friendly.

Yes, I saw Ross Kemp in Belize too. Scary. One of the gangs even had a UN handgrenade - that could do some damage:eek:

After watching that we've now booked an excursion.

I have visited Belize many times over the last several years. Like any port in a third world country you have to travel smart. I go "behind the wall" alone every visit, there is a woodcarver who has a booth there and I make a purchase each time. I am a short middle aged woman and yes the vendors are agressive, but as it has been posted previousely, a firm NO THANK YOU is sufficient. There are many wonderful places and things to see and Belize City is the jumping off point. Plan ahead and you won't be disappointed!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Belize. We took the Belize river and myan ruins tour. I felt very safe on that excursion. When we were returning to the port our tour guide asked us to do some shopping and please do it outside of the gates. She said that all the rumors are not true and the vendors outside the gate are very poor and they need the business. We did not have time to do any shopping bc the last tender to our boat was leaving but the guide said it was safe. Don't know.

We were there twice on our October cruises on the NCL Star, and went outside to the flea markets both times. Also had a taxi driver take us downtown and did not feel uncomfortable either place. The vendors want to sell their items, but I don't think any of them would cause you harm. In fact, they were very helpful in locating a tour guide we used on a previous trip. The local police were also there in the street and gave us a "heads up" on which tour guides were good ones.

Archived