Vatican Scavi Tour

NYCruiser23

Has anyone ever taken this tour that can give me some information. Did it run on time? We have it scheduled for 3pm and its an hour and a half long. I have private transportation waiting for us when we are done to take us back to the ship and we do have a little extra time since it should take about an hour to get back, but if the tour runs late it would definitely eat up some of our time. Just looking for some feedback on someone who has taken it.

When we took this tour (about 4 years ago) it was run exactly on time. They have a high security process where the swiss guards did not let us past the gate (on the left side of St Peters) until near the time on our reservation and then took us right to a small office for the tour. They also did not allow any large purses or bags which caused an issue for DW. We had to walk all the way across the front of St Peters to the right side of the church (on the outside) where they had a place we could check her purse. I do not know if they still follow this same procedure.

Hank

Thanks Hank, we were at the vatican a couple of years ago and they still have the no large purse policy, thankfully we will have private transporation so we can leave it in there if we need to, but last time we were pretty prepared and didnt bring anything like that

Has anyone ever taken this tour that can give me some information. Did it run on time? We have it scheduled for 3pm and its an hour and a half long. I have private transportation waiting for us when we are done to take us back to the ship and we do have a little extra time since it should take about an hour to get back, but if the tour runs late it would definitely eat up some of our time. Just looking for some feedback on someone who has taken it.

YES, things tend to run very much on time and I am glad to hear from another thread that you have been able to adjust your timing schedule. Since only about 200 people do this tour each day, they are very organized and orderly for what is done on this tour.

We did the Scavi tour in June and found it to be very interesting and super fascinating. This is a close-up look at unique history that few get a chance to see so "up close and personal". Pictures are not allowed at this deep Scavi level, but here are here are three pictures of interest for these special areas in and around St. Peter's.

For added information on Scavi tour, check out: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1436502

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 44,644 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

After our private tour of the super historic Scavi under the Basilica and its lower grotto, we saw some of the crypts and this chapel below the main area.:

RomeLowerChapelUnder.jpg

Inside St. Peters, this is a portion of the main floor area where the body of the late Pope John Paul II has been moved. On May 3, 2011, he was give this new resting place in the marble altar in Pier Paolo Cristofari's Chapel of St. Sebastian. This prominent location is next to the Chapel of the Pieta. They completed this change as he was elevated and moves towards Sainthood. Crowds were big and busy inside this huge Cathedral, the world's largest.:

RomePopeJPIINewSiteMainFloor.jpg

This is the dramatic front view of St. Peters and the Square with the beautiful sky over this historic setting on June 10 during our visit and doing the Scavi tour.:

RomeStPetersFrontView.jpg

I love hearing from someone who has done it! And yes I too am so relieved about the time change! I am so excited about this tour, I loved the vatican and cant wait to go back, so this tour was such a good thing and I am so glad we were approved to go!

I love hearing from someone who has done it! And yes I too am so relieved about the time change! I am so excited about this tour, I loved the vatican and cant wait to go back, so this tour was such a good thing and I am so glad we were approved to go!

Glad you are so "EXCITED" about your upcoming trip. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any other questions of interest for Rome and your other ports. Where all will you be visiting?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 44,644 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived