What's to see in Valencia?

RCCL changed our itinerary. Besides switching Corsica for Cannes (which we're extremely disappointed in), they also changed Tunis for Valencia. I can understand changing Tunis due to all the unrest.

We're considering changing cruises or cancelling all together for a land tour, but before we do I wanted to check on what's to see in Valencia? I have heard of a Cathedral worth visiting, but nothing else. We're interested in historical sites, not interestsed at all in a beach stop or an emphasis on shopping.

For later in the summer some of the July stops have Sardinia instead of Valencia. That interests us more but it's so much hotter in mid-late July, the prices are higher and it will interfere with my DD's summer job at college.

Valencia is one of the nicest ports we have visited so don't be disappointed.

I would try to get downtown and visit the old downtown area including walking the Central Market.

The other place to visit which is located fairly close to to the cruise ship terminal is the L’Oceanographic Aquarium. It is spectacular and I believe the largest Aquarium in all of Europe. This Aquarium is very unique and not to be missed.

Keith

I can understand where the Aquarium would be a good stop for a lot of people, however we have had several visits to Sea World in the past couple of years, swam with dolphins, manatees and sea lions in the Caribbean, visited the aquarium in New Orleans last year and have two excellent aquariums in our home state that actually are better than the one in New Orleans.

We would not be interested in the Aquarium in Valencia. Our interests for Europe are historical.

I can understand where the Aquarium would be a good stop for a lot of people, however we have had several visits to Sea World in the past couple of years, swam with dolphins, manatees and sea lions in the Caribbean, visited the aquarium in New Orleans last year and have two excellent aquariums in our home state that actually are better than the one in New Orleans.

We would not be interested in the Aquarium in Valencia. Our interests for Europe are historical.

Our interests are historical too which is why I suggested the downtown area. This aquarium was the best we ever went too.

Anyway, it was only a suggestion. When I post with a question and someone gives me an answer with suggestions even if I don't care for the suggestions I find that the best response is a thank you since they went to the trouble to give me input.

Our interests are historical too which is why I suggested the downtown area. This aquarium was the best we ever went too.

Anyway, it was only a suggestion. When I post with a question and someone gives me an answer with suggestions even if I don't care for the suggestions I find that the best response is a thank you since they went to the trouble to give me input.

Thank you for your response. No offense was intended.

We're just a little out of sorts trying whether to decide to stick with this cruise, change to another, or cancel a cruise next year and do a land tour as instead. Lots of special considerations since oldest DD is mentally disabled. Basic scenery does not interest her and while she enjoys aquariums, we've seen a lot recently. She loves ruins and museums though.

Valencia is the substitute for Tunis and they have also replaced Corsica with Cannes. We don't think either of the substitutions can compare. But if there is truly some spectacular historic site in Valencia, like the Alhambra near Granada or such, it would be worth it to stay on this cruise.

I know people's interests are different and try to provide extra info on what we are looking for.

You may not be at all interested in this, but Valencia is the home of Lladro, the famous porcelain maker. We are collectors and were interested, so on our first visit to Valencia, we made it a point to visit the factory and workshops and witness the production of their beautiful figurines.

Booking can be made direct through the Lladro website....

What is the best method of transportation to get to the silk market and Lladro Factory from the cruise port?

Thanks!

Charlotte

Can't help with the silk market, but Lladro is in Tavernes Blanques, about a 20 minute cab ride from central Valencia. I don't remember how much the fare was - just in case you ask.....

Archived