Formal nights on QM2?

stanbu815

best to call just a few days before the cruise to find out. I called the 800 number three different times leading up to my cruise, and was told different things each time. Finally, I asked them why there was so much uncertainty about this - and was told that the dress code is set aboard the ship, so the reservations desk doesn't really set the policy and they only find out very close to the sailing date. even then, they told me there would be one INFORMAL night (jacket & tie) on my cruise (caribbean), and there weren't any - just 3 formal, 5 casual.

If you leave on 5/29 you'll miss the ship which leaves on 5/28! I'm on that cruise leaving Saturday. I believe there are two formals, tux or dark suit, one informal, jacket and tie, one optional, informal/formal and two casual, no tie. I did a roll call last month and no one replied, so glad to see others joining us. Can't wait.

The best way would be to try and find the email addy of someone in the Cruise Staff- Brian Price, Amanda Reid, someone like them. Though I doubt they'd still be on then, probably on vacation. Maybe they could keep your address on file and have someone email you when a decision is made or give you the address of the person in charge at that time. The people at the 800 number will only make educated guesses.

Non-formal could be either casual or informal. On casual night a collared shirt is perfectly acceptable.

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Formal varies to some degree by the dining room you are assigned to.

I was told that in Queens Grill . on my 09 Aug NY-Southampton crossing there would be three formal nights. AND that in QG the other nights were certainly suit and tie nights. Nothing so crass as 'casual' even on departure sailing dinner.

Agreed Caribbean would be different .. but TransPond crossings should be more formal.

Was also told that the VSOE transfer from Southampton to Victoria station post cruise was recommended as another formal dinner on the train. I asked about getting off the cruise ship (luggage sent ahead) and then you tour for some of the morning, have luncheon at a castle someplace, tour a bit more, then board the train. There is supposedly an area where passengers should 'change for dinner'. I was told to disembark comfortably, but bring a garment bag with my Tux.

I'm wondering if there is a "dress code" on the VSOE from Victoria Station to Southamptom? We will be in London for a few days before our cruise and could certainly "dress up" before leaving our hotel. I wonder about those who might be arriving in London the day of departure - I would not want to worry about my attire after a transatlantic flight. But, then again, it's the VSOE! I last saw it in Vienna - so beautiful! Can't wait!

Since you will be transfering from Victoria to Southampton .. I should imagine it will be earlier in the day. For example, if you board the QM2 at 12:30 or 1pm .. then the train would certainly leave mid-morning. I doubt they would have a formal 'brunch' on the train ...

They seem to be making a whole final day on the return 'transfer' with a tour and lunch at a castle and then the train/dinner.

Think the other direction will be an elegant way to arrive .. but probably not formal. I should think smart 'garden party' clothes for women and men in sportcoats and ties.

Call Cunard and ask!

My wife and I took VSOE Victoria to Southampton and the dress was not formal. I wore a blazer and tie and this seemed to be about right. The train is wonderful by the way and an elegant brunch is indeed served, on very fine tableware and historic surroundings. Our Cunard voyage documents said the train departure would be around 11AM, but when we checked in at the VSOE lounge in Victoria, the boarding documents we received said 12:30PM and that the train would pull into the platform about 20 minutes before. This got us to the ship at about 3PM, but as the QE2 was occupying the normal Cunard pier, the train was unable to pull alongside the QM2 as advertised, so we were disembarked at Southampton Airport station and taken by motorcoach to the P&O terminal. By this time, there wasn't much of a queue and we went straight on board. A very relaxing way to get to the ship and our luggage was awaiting us in the room, having been taken separately by truck apparently after we dropped it off at the VSOE lounge.

Charles

On the May 4th crossing, there were 3 formal nights, 1 informal night and first and last nights were casual. Passengers were very formally dressed all 3 nights.

On the May 4th crossing, there were 3 formal nights, 1 informal night and first and last nights were casual. Passengers were very formally dressed all 3 nights.
Please tell us, were you in Grill or Britannia class?

What do men wear on casual nights... is a short sleeve shirt with collar acceptable attire? how about a golf shirt or is this just too casual? Does anyone wear shorts aboard the QM2? Does anyone relax on deck in bathing suit with or without coverup? Do any teens wear t-shirts or jeans? Any input would be most appreciated.

The brochure explains that one should dress as if dining a fine restraurant, meaning jacket and tie on informal evenings. They do list a casual category that is explained as slacks and a shirt or sweater. From the postings on these boards, I believe you will see jackets and ties as the baseline for non-formal evenings. The slacks and shirts is most likely for daytime with shorts reserved for deck activities. One frequent Cunard cruiser messaged me that jeans and shorts are fine for my boys during the day's scheduled activities. But their shoes are polished and their button down shirts are pressed and ready for afternoon tea.

Another entry indicated that men could wear a robe over their bathing suit enroute to the pools or use the near-pool changing rooms.

Hope this helps.

Paul NH, you are correct.....3 formals. one informal, and first and last nights casual, with collared shirt for the gents.

Nights two and five are always formal on the "crossings"! Nights three and four may be reversed, either way, as to "formal/informal"!

How many formal nights on the QM2 Eastbound NY to London 5-29-05? Also, do men have to wear tie and jacket for dinner on the non-formal nights?

The first evening is informal, the next is a formal night with an informal night sandwiched in between formal evenings. The last night is informal. This ALMOST follows the decades-long tradition of ocean crossings where every night except the first and the last were formal nights.

Last year there were more informal nights (more like a cruise than a crossing,) so I'm glad the QM2 returned to the traditional balance of formal evenings. Many of the Cunard faithful dressed up last year even though the daily program stated "informal."

Karen, a traditionalist ;-)

What do men wear on casual nights... is a short sleeve shirt with collar acceptable attire? how about a golf shirt or is this just too casual? Does anyone wear shorts aboard the QM2? Does anyone relax on deck in bathing suit with or without coverup? Do any teens wear t-shirts or jeans? Any input would be most appreciated.

A short sleeve shirt with collar is perfectly acceptable. We were on for a Carib sailing, so maybe it was more acceptable there.

We saw tons of people with shorts and in swim suits, but the again, this was a Carib sailing.

Plenty of teens will wear t-shirts and jeans - I doubt that will change by destination.

Don't worry, it's not a black tie affair all the time. :)

-Brian

I am travelling PG on the QM2 later this year. Can I wear a tux for both formal and informal evenings and a jacket and tie for the casual? I am trying to cut down on the amount I'll have to lug around the USA on my land based holiday there.

Thanks

Peter

I'd say that tux is cool in QG or PG on an informal night.....some people are just more comfortable that way. I'd never do it in the main dining room....it would come across as too stuffy.

Nevertheless, you know today's standard of "dressing down" rather than "dressing up."

(BTW......I have travelled numerous times QG on QE2 and once so far on QM2. Even on departure nights, we never saw anyone in less than blazer and tie or suit and tie. No "casual" nights in the QG! ;) )

Kevinsac - please advise then ...

When would a white Dinner Jacket be appropriate? Would that work for informal nights instead of a traditional black Tux? Or would white be appropriate for a second/third formal night??

Also, a couple years back, the 'vogue' was a tux, with black shirt and black silk LONG (business suit style) tie. Would that be considered 'over the top' in QG? On a formal night??

I ordered some diamond Tux shirt studs so I may be classed as 'over the top' at least on the first formal night! Am planning on a traditional Tux, a double-breasted Tux and a white Dinner Jacket and one other traditional suit. I already have two brand new tux shirts that I am not even taking out of the wrapper . will have the QM2 laundry manage those little details!

Am I packing properly??

I'm wondering if there is a "dress code" on the VSOE from Victoria Station to Southamptom? We will be in London for a few days before our cruise and could certainly "dress up" before leaving our hotel. I wonder about those who might be arriving in London the day of departure - I would not want to worry about my attire after a transatlantic flight. But, then again, it's the VSOE! I last saw it in Vienna - so beautiful! Can't wait!

We boarded the VSOE in Victoria Station and were surprised at the casual clothes worn by the passengers. We dressed for the occasion but it wasn't necessary. We were told that the trip to Southampton is a "day trip" for many British. Also, the train you saw in Vienna travels on the continent not in England. The English train is brown and cream. It was a relaxing and wonderful way to arrive in Southampton. It set the tone for our transatlantic crossing!

Archived