Have I spoiled myself? Or is there hope?

quercus alba

DW & I took our first cruise this year on Epic in the Mediterranean.

Loved the ship, and am now looking to book a family cruise Spring 2013 to celebrate a HS graduation (DD) and 21st birthday (DS1).

Unfortunately, I'm just not thrilled Epic's Eastern Caribbean itinerary, and it seems like Pearl, Dawn or Spirit's cruises would be more interesting. In addition it looks like they're somewhat less expensive, based on getting 2 adjacent balcony cabins for our crew of 6 (DS 2 will be 11, DS 3 will be 8).

So what would you do? Will we be disappointed with one of the smaller, older ships? We're not fussy, picky people in general, but Epic was such a great experience for us. Can anyone comment as to how the younger kids' experience may differ?

Thanks. Knew I could count on you all!

(Oh yeah--and do the other ships have Martini Clinics? ;-) )

(Oh yeah--and do the other ships have Martini Clinics? ;-) )

Oh, certainly! Sorry I cannot compare the Epic because I have never sailed her, but I never miss a martini clinic. ;) I have loved all the ships I have sailed, but the Pearl and the Gem are my favorites so I don't think you could go wrong sailing the Pearl.

Of the three you listed I would advise booking the Pearl as she is the newest on the list. They're all nice ships in their own way, but the Pearl with her bowling alley and fun decor may appeal more.

As an aside I would add that all of the three ships will give you more of a "cruise" feel IMO. Lots of places to see the ocean, whereas, although I liked the Epic, I felt like it was more a floating hotel than a ship.

I'm glad you've asked this question as we are in the same boat (haha) we sailed on the Epic in Sept and are looking to sail again next year but like you, don't like the Epic sailings. I will be reading the answers too!

OK I've never been on the Epic but I did find this question interesting.

If you compare the 2 ships, then I'd bet you would be disappointed just because of comparisons of what you enjoyed on the Epic, may not be available or different on other ships. Each ship would have a uniqueness of it's own.

This is very similar to 2 land vacations, one in New York City and one in Florida. Most certainly you could say NY City has many big splashy attractions and a distinctive character of it's own. On the other hand that doesn't mean you can not equally enjoy Florida with it's own uniqueness, just by setting your expectations to what you enjoy to do, that is available in the location you choose.

Sorry I couldn't help more with your exact question.

I have been on all except Spirit - the Dawn was our first NCL cruise and we loved her - and she has been updated recently. the Pearl, twice, and loved her too - in fact we liked the Epic least - walking long distances and getting lost got to be a pain:rolleyes: (although we will sail on Epic for the studio for my Mom and the right itenerary - never say never). Time for you to branch out with the rest of the fleet - you won't go wrong:) The Pearl, Alaska and your young adults - a great combination for family fun!

....The Pearl, Alaska and your young adults - a great combination for family fun!

I'm looking forward to an Alaska cruise someday, but the DD and DW are pretty adamant about this one involving sand and sunshine. ("We live in Minnesota...why on earth would we want to go to Alaska??!" :rolleyes:)

I totally understand. Being from MI. I want the sun,warmth and beach!!! I see enough snow! Ooopss sorry about that. I told myself I wouldnt swear on here!! Really though I hope to see Alaska some day. Im really torn between the Pearl and Sun. Still trying to decide. After reading reviews I dont see how you can go wrong with the Pearl.

I'm looking forward to an Alaska cruise someday, but the DD and DW are pretty adamant about this one involving sand and sunshine. ("We live in Minnesota...why on earth would we want to go to Alaska??!" :rolleyes:)

LOL..that's why I have NO idea when I'll ever get to Alaska. There is NO way my DH wants to sail anyplace unless the temps are guaranteed to be in the upper 80's minimum.

OP: I know the Epic is quite a different ship than the others that you have listed, but I really think you will have a great time on any of them :)

We felt the same way until we finally went to Alaska. At that point our best cruise, if not vacation, ever. Can't wait to do it again!

We felt the same way until we finally went to Alaska. At that point our best cruise, if not vacation, ever. Can't wait to do it again!

Same here, being from Wisconsin, I thought I would have to go insane to sail somewhere that get's so cold and snowy when I could be going somewhere warm and sunny! :eek:

After having sailed to Alaska - can't wait to go back! Definitely our best cruise so far. Words and pictures really can't fully describe how beautiful Alaska is. It is truly something to experience.

I would say that if you are someone who loves cruising, Alaska is a cruise for the soul, if that makes any sense.

And, since I don't to hijack the thread, I would also recommend the Pearl. :)

As an aside I would add that all of the three ships will give you more of a "cruise" feel IMO. Lots of places to see the ocean, whereas, although I liked the Epic, I felt like it was more a floating hotel than a ship.

This is what concerns me about the EPIC. I haven't sailed her. Wonderful ship from what I have seen in photos and reviews. However, I'd hate to have to walk a mile just to see the passing waves while strolling the ship.

Sooo--between your encouragements and the "Why book so far in advance?" thread running currently, I'm this close to taking the plunge and booking a Caribbean itinerary on the Jewel (not Pearl--misread the schedule) for 2013. Sounds like the Jewel has most of the things we enjoyed about the Epic, will be a fun family ship, and has an intinerary that will please my sun- & sand-lovers.

I'm thinking that 2 adjoining balcony "minisuites" will be best for our gang (DW & me, DS-21, DD-17, DS-11, and DS-8 at that time), but am also kind of thinking about the 2 BR Family suites.

Any sense from the collective wisdom as to whether that's worth it?

From what I can see, for the extra $300+ pp we would get Cagneys, butler/concierge privileges, the VIP check-in, but not Haven courtyard access? Am I correct in this?

Am I crazy booking this far in advance? I'll be using future cruise credit for the deposits. What else should I be considering?

I'm expecting to hear from you all that I can't go wrong--but if anyone has a dissenting opinion, I'd listen...

[Guess I'm saving the Alaska cruise for the next FCC...and will probably just take my adventurous young sons along and leave the freezy-girls at home!]

" From what I can see, for the extra $300+ pp we would get Cagneys, butler/concierge privileges, the VIP check-in, but not Haven courtyard access? Am I correct in this?"

Nope. The mini-suites are nothing more than slightly larger glorified balconies with bathtubs, and I believe a curtain around the bed. None of the other perks you mentioned. They're reserved for the higher level suites.

I think if I were traveling with my tribe, I'd go for the 2 BR family suites. Haven't been in one yet, but they sound great.

I've been on all the ships except for Sky and Jade, and can honestly say they are all wonderful, each in their own special way. The jewel is a terrific ship.

Booking this far in advance is rarely a bad thing. You get to choose the room(s) you want. If prices go down, you call whoever you booked with and NCL will adjust the price. Or, you can keep the price and upgrade. The only thing you miss out on is whatever sale of the week they're having, but I have found many times that the sale rarely is better than the price I booked at anyway. Another good thing is that you can cancel up to 75 days before and get all your deposit money back (unless you reserve a suite), so you can still change your mind on all kinds of things without a penalty.

I'd say go for it!

" From what I can see, for the extra $300+ pp we would get Cagneys, butler/concierge privileges, the VIP check-in, but not Haven courtyard access? Am I correct in this?"

Nope. The mini-suites are nothing more than slightly larger glorified balconies with bathtubs, and I believe a curtain around the bed. None of the other perks you mentioned. They're reserved for the higher level suites.

I think if I were traveling with my tribe, I'd go for the 2 BR family suites. Haven't been in one yet, but they sound great.

I've been on all the ships except for Sky and Jade, and can honestly say they are all wonderful, each in their own special way. The jewel is a terrific ship.

Booking this far in advance is rarely a bad thing. You get to choose the room(s) you want. If prices go down, you call whoever you booked with and NCL will adjust the price. Or, you can keep the price and upgrade. The only thing you miss out on is whatever sale of the week they're having, but I have found many times that the sale rarely is better than the price I booked at anyway. Another good thing is that you can cancel up to 75 days before and get all your deposit money back (unless you reserve a suite), so you can still change your mind on all kinds of things without a penalty.

I'd say go for it!

I'm aware there are no REAL "suite" privileges with the "Mini-suites", but was asking whether the 2BR family suite offered Haven/courtyard access as well as Cagneys, butler/concierge privileges & VIP check-in. It doesn't appear that they do, and if it's just the latter set of things, I'm thinking to book the MB Mini suites and save the extra $2000 for excursions & bar tab. (I think that the extra square footage will be worth the extra $$ vs a B2, though.) Also, as sauerkraut said, I don't think the suites are eligible for using my FCC for the full deposit.

This is what concerns me about the EPIC. I haven't sailed her. Wonderful ship from what I have seen in photos and reviews. However, I'd hate to have to walk a mile just to see the passing waves while strolling the ship.

The Epic is only 100 feet longer than the Pearl or Gem, and I bet the difference in interior length is even less. It's really not a big deal at all.

I'm aware there are no REAL "suite" privileges with the "Mini-suites", but was asking whether the 2BR family suite offered Haven/courtyard access as well as Cagneys, butler/concierge privileges & VIP check-in. It doesn't appear that they do, and if it's just the latter set of things, I'm thinking to book the MB Mini suites and save the extra $2000 for excursions & bar tab. (I think that the extra square footage will be worth the extra $$ vs a B2, though.) Also, as sauerkraut said, I don't think the suites are eligible for using my FCC for the full deposit.

I believe you do get everything except the Haven/courtyard access with the two-bedroom family suites (SC) on Deck 11. This applies to categories SF, SE, and SC (we booked a SF penthouse for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel).

They do have two-bedroom family villas (S4) on Deck 14 that comes with Haven/courtyard access but they are even more expensive. Sadly, we couldn't couldn't justify the extra $1,400-1,600 for an Owner's suite or Haven penthouse.

Archived