Poll: What do you prefer, Main or Late dining and why

AACJ

What do you prefer, Main or Late Seating for dinner  

1,096 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer, Main or Late Seating for dinner

• Main Seating
    • Late Seating

LATE! (On Carnival, at least)

On Carnival ships, there is a spectacular performance after dinner, and if you eat at the main dining, then you have to go to the early show, but if you go to the late dining, then you go to the late show. The bad thing in my mind about the earlier dining/show is that there's not as much to do between the time after the show and sleep time (or midnight buffet :p). However, with the late dining/show, you can do activities up until dinner, and then watch the show, maybe a midnight buffet, late night comedy, and then sleep.

My $0.02 :D

That is my reasoning too...

IMHO you will screwed up from traveling and the excitement of the cruise anyway. Waiting till the late seating will probably not be a problem because of everything else going on, like departing and touring the ship the first day, and you will adjust after the first day.

I prefer the late seating. If I get to go on one vacation per year, I do not want to have dinner with a lot of kids. Early dinner sittings tend to have a lot of parents who take their kids of all ages on cruises.

Couldn't have said it better myself. also late seating gives u the chance to spend more time sipping cocktails by the pool. ;)

What's the big hurry to eat? You ain't going anywhere afterwards.

But hey, that's great, hope everyone else wants first seating. I've never been wait listed for second seating. I do my 2 miles of laps around the ship at 6:00 pm where there is little traffic.

Hi All :)

We are definitely late sitting devotees, love the time when early sitting in and the boat decks become deserted. Have always managed to get late sitting except for one cruise where it was all open sitting. Different waiters every night, occasional queues not our scene. Was a bit worried re forthcoming cruise as was waitlisted for late sitting, started off at 40+ found out today on personalizer now confirmed second sitting whoopieee :D

Middy:)

• 1 month later...
Hi All :)

We are definitely late sitting devotees, love the time when early sitting in and the boat decks become deserted. Have always managed to get late sitting except for one cruise where it was all open sitting. Different waiters every night, occasional queues not our scene. Was a bit worried re forthcoming cruise as was waitlisted for late sitting, started off at 40+ found out today on personalizer now confirmed second sitting whoopieee :D

Middy:)

I would hate to have a different waiter every night. You really get to know them, and they you when you go to dinner every night. Once they get to know your likes/dislikes, they tend to spoil you!!

Dw and I have found that late seating suits are cruising lifestyle. We usually have a full day on the islands or on the ship during sea days. We enjoy a little R&R in our cabin before getting ready for dinner. Main seating is too early for us since we find ourselves rushing around to get ready. when you incorporate a full day in the sun with excursions, shopping, and drinking, it is a relief to relax before getting ready for dinner, especially on formal nights.

John

Ditto!!

• 2 weeks later...

This will be our first early seating. We depart between 3pm and 5pm from all but one port. I was often close to falling asleep in my food and never had the energy to enjoy any of the nightlife after dinner. On the other hand, if there are too many kids we will probably go back to late. I'll just have to skip my late afternoon snack and drink and opt for a nap instead.

I do late seating because we are not so rushed to leave the dining room. Actually, there could have been a vote button labeled "Both". You will probably find me in the Buffet during early seating. I'm the guy with his head under the ice cream spigot. I can't get enough of that Chocolate. :D

We sail during the winter for fun in the sun. I hate having to go get showered for early dinner when I could enjoy a couple more hours in the sunshine. NEVER early again! The only issue our group scuffled about. The guys were happy to go to early dinner, the girls spent every last minute on deck.

My husband and I prefer late seating. On port days, we always go on an excursion and like to shower, take a nap, sit out on the balcony and read, etc. after returning to the ship. We also have plenty of time for a cocktail prior to dinner. With late seating, we just never feel rushed.

I do late seating because we are not so rushed to leave the dining room. Actually, there could have been a vote button labeled "Both". You will probably find me in the Buffet during early seating. I'm the guy with his head under the ice cream spigot. I can't get enough of that Chocolate. :D

Sorry, the intent of the posting was to help us make a decision as to which seating we should pick. BOTH was not an option for our cruise, but I can see your point if it was available.

I too frequent the buffet line, on our last one, they had a sushi bar just before the early seating and you could usually find me there, then the bar or a drink in the room (maybe fooling around with the wife) then end up at the late dinner.

This posting has gotten a lot more responses than I had EVER anticipated, over 9400 viewings already!! One of the most views posts on this site. (I wonder if Cruisecritic would reward me with a free cruise!!) But, I hope that it helps everyone make a better informed decision.

AND KEEP YOUR RESPONSES COMING!!

Late seating for us. First cruise or two we had the earlier seating, but found it to be disruptive to the way we like to enjoy our cruise. After days in port we enjoy going back to the ship and relaxing in the bar with a brew or two, and then make our way to our cabin to get ready for dinner. It allows a much more leisurely preparation time for the later relaxed dinner.

Late seating for us. First cruise or two we had the earlier seating, but found it to be disruptive to the way we like to enjoy our cruise. After days in port we enjoy going back to the ship and relaxing in the bar with a brew or two, and then make our way to our cabin to get ready for dinner. It allows a much more leisurely preparation time for the later relaxed dinner.