Poll: What do you prefer, Main or Late dining and why

AACJ

What do you prefer, Main or Late Seating for dinner  

1,096 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer, Main or Late Seating for dinner

• Main Seating
    • Late Seating

DW and I almost decided on Early for our second cruise, but after review of when port of calls ended we chose the Late seating. We also looked for sunset times and found that we'd miss all of those with early seating. We ope to enjoy those this time together.

I agree that it seems like that early is more of family time and later is more adults.

We also looked for sunset times and found that we'd miss all of those with early seating. We ope to enjoy those this time together.

Ah, sitting on the balcony sipping a glass of wine while watching the sunset with your loved one...it doesn't get any better than that!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
:p

I prefer the late seating- less rushing. Besides I heard there was food 24-7 late/early or all day long.

Yep, you can eat anytime on the ship. Even order roomservice and eat when you want in your ROOM!

We prefer the late seating. We eat late regularly because I don't get home from work until about 7 (the long commute). On vacation, I don't want to hurry back from an excursion to be ready for dinner at 6 - and we enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail, or two at leisurely pace.

Main seating for me, I would prefer to eat earlier, and then if I feel like it, I'm not stuffed for the midnight buffet or dancing after dinner. They serve such good food, it would be a shame not to enjoy it. Even if it does require running every day to prevent massive weight gain.

We just switched from late to early. Initially we thought too many little kids (mine are 11 13 and 15) but then decided 8:30 was way too late for us (we usually eat at 6), so since we are just doing beaches and maybe some shopping, we can eat early and then enjoy our evening. Think its a personal decision (early seating also lets you enjoy breakfast and an early start to the day).

Think its a personal decision (early seating also lets you enjoy breakfast and an early start to the day).

I'm not understanding this statement. :confused: I always do late seating and I still enjoy breakfast and get an early start for the day. What do you mean? Just curious... I think we live on the same time clock you do!

We chose late dining for our first few cruises and it was great. But we enjoy sitting in the hot tubs after the show and had to run to do so before they closed them at midnight. So for that single reason we changed to main dining a few cruises ago and we'll never go back. With main dining, we have the whole evening to enjoy after dinner.

However, on our most recent cruise, with Princess, we tried personal choice dining. We missed having the same waiter and dinner companions. But we absolutely loved the flexibility.

• 4 weeks later...
We chose late dining for our first few cruises and it was great. But we enjoy sitting in the hot tubs after the show and had to run to do so before they closed them at midnight. So for that single reason we changed to main dining a few cruises ago and we'll never go back. With main dining, we have the whole evening to enjoy after dinner.

However, on our most recent cruise, with Princess, we tried personal choice dining. We missed having the same waiter and dinner companions. But we absolutely loved the flexibility.

I enjoy sitting in the hot tubs while everyone else is at dinner (at the first seathing) then showering and having a drink on the balcony while my wife gets ready.

But I think I'd like to try the personal choice dining too!

• 1 month later...

Late. fer sure! Most of the families w/children are at the early sitting. Plus, it just seems like the late sittings aren't as "rushed" as the waiters don't have to turn the dining room around so quickly.

And - you don't have to rush back if you are ashore.

On land DH must get up at 3:30am to get to work. I get up at 5am.

Needless to say we retire early.

No matter how hard we try it is difficult to break this habit for one week at sea.:(

We choose early seating.

However, this next cruise we have agreed to order at dinner a double expresso....this ought to do the trick & keep us up for a while...:eek: don't you think??:D

We've chosen late seating for our 2nd cruise, on HAL. Had Personal Choice on Princess first cruise and we rarely made it to dinner before 9pm. I loved having a short nap and room service tea after a long day on shore. Then a wine on the balcony. We mostly danced and walked decks after dinner and never went to one show. So, I think late will work well for us this time.

I didn't care much for Personal Choice for our 1st cruise. It didn't match my expectations of a traditional cruise experience.

DH wont care one way or the other. He only eats one meal a day, a large dinner anytime from 6-8pm, which must be preceeded by munchies and a cocktail if we're on vacation.

• 4 weeks later...

What time does personal choice end? And do you have to sit at the same table every night?

We've chosen late seating for our 2nd cruise, on HAL. Had Personal Choice on Princess first cruise and we rarely made it to dinner before 9pm. I loved having a short nap and room service tea after a long day on shore. Then a wine on the balcony. We mostly danced and walked decks after dinner and never went to one show. So, I think late will work well for us this time.

I didn't care much for Personal Choice for our 1st cruise. It didn't match my expectations of a traditional cruise experience.

DH wont care one way or the other. He only eats one meal a day, a large dinner anytime from 6-8pm, which must be preceeded by munchies and a cocktail if we're on vacation.

We prefer Late Siting so we do not have to hurry back to the ship to dress......and we can be up on deck for the sail away from each port.

And.....if there is a great sunset....we can catch it.....:)

Main seating...breaks up the day and you aren't stuffed at the end of the day. It gives us a little more time to burn off some of those calories in the evening, too. Rushing to get ready has never been an issue. You generally have to be back on the ship by 5:00 anyway and it takes us no more thn about 45 minutes to get dressed, even on formal nights (that's two of us taking showers, etc.)

Really prefer freestyle and eating when we like. Given the choice of main or late, we choose main. We don't generally stay up real late - like to eat, go to the show, then are usually ready to head back to the cabin for the night!

We always choose the late seating. Even when we sailed with our 1yr old. The port days are just not long enough. If you rush back for main seating it cuts into your day. I want to spend as much time in port as possible.

We always have a snack prior to dinner and then freshen up with a shower. Luckily, our kids are well behaved in the dining room. The staff has always been exceptional with them, too.