Laundry problem

SusieV

I had an article of clothing ruined in the cruise laundry despite clearly writing on the form twice that the garment should not be placed in the dryer.

I did speak to someone at Guest Services and they investigated and gave me a form with a summary of what happened, conceding that they made an error. I was told they could not handle reimbursement of my costs while onboard and I needed to deal with it when I got off the ship (3/11 Summit).

Who should I contact at this point? It was rather an expensive item (for me, at least) and brand new. I understand the forms say liability is limited to 10x laundry cost but it seemed that they were sympathetic given that I did print boldly twice on the form.

Thanks.

I had an article of clothing ruined in the cruise laundry despite clearly writing on the form twice that the garment should not be placed in the dryer.

I did speak to someone at Guest Services and they investigated and gave me a form with a summary of what happened, conceding that they made an error. I was told they could not handle reimbursement of my costs while onboard and I needed to deal with it when I got off the ship (3/11 Summit).

Who should I contact at this point? It was rather an expensive item (for me, at least) and brand new. I understand the forms say liability is limited to 10x laundry cost but it seemed that they were sympathetic given that I did print boldly twice on the form.

Thanks.

Sorry you had an item ruined in the laundry! Didn't they give you a contact for when you got home?

If an item is not able to withstand the dryer it will probably not make it through the hot water they are required to use to wash it. This sounds like hand washing would have been the better choice. We can all learn from your experience. Hope things work out for you.

Maybe you should contact your TA. If they cannot actually act on your behalf at least they could find the phone number and/or address for you to make contact yourself.

We take a small bottle with Woolite to hand wash delicates in the room. Every shower we have had has a clothes line.

Good Luck,

Charlie

I'm so sorry you lost a brand new item of clothing. I hope you are successful in your quest with customer service, but be aware it can take some time. If you have to send in the summary form with your claim, make sure you make copies of it before sending off. When you do send anything in the mail to customer service, make sure you send it return receipt requested. It's best if you have a name to put on the envelope. Customer service is lousy throughout the cruiseline industry.

It could be that the person who handled your laundry cannot read English. We had an occasion when my DH sent in some shirts, jeans, socks and underwear, he clearly wrote "no starch" on the laundry list. Guess what, everything, including the socks and underwear came back stiff as a board. We joked about using his tighty whities as a piece of sculpture.

Lesson learned and info for all, never send anything to the laundry/dry cleaning onboard a ship with special instructions.

Good luck to you.

Guest Services just told me to contact customer services but I was hoping there was a specific name or department to try. I can try my TA but I doubt they'll be much help here- they are a major online company.

The item definitely would have been ok in hot water- it's just the dryer that would bend and stretch it out of shape. Those were the specific instructions I got from the manufacturer- hang to dry.

I planned on bringing Zero to handwash myself but I forgot it at home and did need this garment cleaned... I hoped two bold notices would help.

. . .the hot water they are required to use to wash it.

Really? They wash everything in hot water? I've never used a ship's laundry, but will probably have to on upcoming longer cruise. I have clothing that could be damaged by hot water. If I can't count on the laundry staff following my directions for handling the clothes, I will be washing out a lot of stuff in the bathroom sink.

Really? They wash everything in hot water? I've never used a ship's laundry, but will probably have to on upcoming longer cruise. I have clothing that could be damaged by hot water. If I can't count on the laundry staff following my directions for handling the clothes, I will be washing out a lot of stuff in the bathroom sink.

It's required by sanitation standards. You wouldn't want your clothes to be washed in cold water along with a bunch of strangers clothes anyway :p They do so much laundry, including for the crew, that they can't follow water temp directions. Hand washing is the best alternative if you are worried about the hot water.

Thank you, Char, for the info. I never thought about the sanitation issue, but you are quite right about it. I guess I'll be washing stuff in the sink - or taking a bigger suitcase.

I learn so much on these boards. :)

We have sent hubby's underwear, shirts, long pants and shorts to the ships laundry and they do a really great job. Most of my things I hand wash. I've sent cotton blouses and a couple of pairs of pants and they were perfectly done. Some care labels give you the choice of washing or dry cleaning, so dry cleaning is also an alternative if you have something that might not withstand the hot water of the laundry.

Archived