The Royal Hawaiian Luau

DMorris

Has anyone experienced this luau in Oahu? We are a group of 19 so far and are looking at doing this luau because it is smaller than the others on the Island. Any input would be great. Thank you.

We have done it a few years ago and loved it.

The food was quite good, the show was very nice. Depending on the weather you can sit/eat outside in the hotelgarden.

However as far as I remember it is only playing on Mondaynights.

We went to that luau in Nov '04. Booked on line and got a discount, don't remember exactly what it was but their site offers 20% off. Food and entertainment were great, I don't drink anymore so can't really comment on the Mai Tais but they were plentiful.

http://royal-hawaiian.com/de_luau.htm

We did not pay until we arrived at the Luau, i believe all we did was send them an email for a reservation for the luau, definitely recommend reservations as it was pretty crowded.

I'm interested in the RH Luau as well. We will be in Oahu on ISLAND PRINCESS on a Monday. We will be with a group of at least 12-14 as well.

How far is it from the Aloha Tower area?

Is it easy to/from by cab? Happen to know the fare?

What time does the luau end? (boarding time is 10:30pm)

Thanks! :)

I would guess it's somewhere around 6 or 7 miles so a taxi ride might not be that expensive, maybe about $15???? Remember traffic could be pretty heavy about the time the Luau starts.

Last year we printed the coupon shown on the site and had no problem. I mention that because on their site I noticed an online special rate for the Luau and it said you have to be a guest at one of the Starwood Hotel properties. We used the coupon and no one questioned it. To the best of my recollection, the Luau was over around 9 pm. Not sure how hard it would be to get a taxi at that time??? With a group of 14, maybe a shuttle would be a better option. This link to a thread courtesy of Suebee and Spleen might be helpful http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44331&highlight=oahu+shuttles

Just talked to the hotel and groups of 10 or more get a discount. $71pp

Luau starts at 6pm and is about 3 hours. I am not sure how far it is, but one of our group goes to Oahu alot and says it is not far at all.

I just went to the site Bug mentioned, and there is a coupon to print out, and it does not say you have to be a guest at the hotel. The coupon expires 3/31/06.

So far, the RH looks good to us for luau.

Does anyone know what type of lei they include? (shell or flower).

Grace

From the Aloha Tower you can even take a citybus.

I would suggest a cab on the way back.

We also had a flower-lei, but donot remember what kind.

I had made an on-line reservation with discount coupon that time, it worked fine.

It also is a great place for a beautiful sunset.

Enjoy it!!

I just returned from a trip to Oahu and attended this luau. It started at 6pm (check in starts at around 5:15 or 5:30pm) and ended at 8:30pm. I thought it was okay, but not stellar. I had never been to a luau before and did enjoy the show. It is held on a beachfront lawn and the views are nice. The food was mediocre I thought and of the 2.5 hrs we were there, the show portion only lasted an hour and the rest of the time was spent sending each table through the buffet line-- that part took an awfully long time (a lot of time just sitting around).

I'm glad I went, but I don't think I'd go back to that particular luau. It is a good choice if you have limited time, as it is right at Waikiki.

is it? Is it near the pier? What we had in mind for the day in Oahu was to take the Waikiki Trolly tour and end up at the Royal Hawaiian. Go to the Luau and be back on the ship by 9:30.

I guess we can take a cab back to the ship, but the The Bus sounds like it would be ok?

However, this can change if we go to Paradise Cove luau with a tour.

Thanks to all for the info.

Grace

Spleen: thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I have a much better perspective on locations etc.

What do you think of the Waikiki Trolley? What concerns friends that we travel with, is that the Trolley will be caught in a lot of traffic? I enjoyed it the last time we were there. Since we have seen the major touist attractions on Oahu, we just want something to occupy our time and enjoy the scenery and sunshine.

Grace

Grace - it's the same traffic that you would run into if you took a taxi, The Bus, rental car, etc. etc. No difference than if you took the Trolley. Depending on how often they're running the Trolley, would definitely be a viable alternative to using The Bus. Though of course, if you've already seen the major tourist attractions, you may want the convenience of a rental car so you can explore places off of the beaten tourist path ... :)

Spleen

Archived