FREE handicapped parking at port of Miami

gogetter

The only places required by law to give free parking to the disabled are metered municipal spaces (maximum 4 hours) and theme parks. Free parking must also be offered in convention centers, cruise port terminals, sports stadiums, sports arenas, coliseums and auditoriums along with airports and city or municipal garages if the vehicle has had a modification (ramps, levers, lifts, etc.).

Yogi

Thanks, Yogi. Valuable info.

Some of the previous posters will probably be close to fainting when they read about the other places where the handicapped may park for free.

:)

Thank you for all the info........all i was trying to do was help and pass along information.

After a few soap boxes...here i go............

Who really cares if handicapped parking is free> All it was, was information, if it applies use it...if it doesn't let it go.......

As far as dropping off at the terminal.......isn't that the right or helpful thing to do? So what if i am driving and not the disabled person. A disabled person was transported in the vehicle and is paying money for a cruise. If it is free, then hey, I am not going to make my wife uncomfortable because a few people here THINK she should park herself. Hey i know, i will let her pack and lug all the bags too.....i might as well make her wait on me too.

Anyways........we will use it..........thanks again for the helpful comments...

you are absolutely correct...you were giving out information...and we all appreciate the info here on the boards. i care that the handicap parking is free. it's not fair. either handicap people are treated no differently or they are treated differently. which is it? it cost me more to park if they are giving away free parking. period. that's why i care. paying/not for parking does not help a handicap person out with the distance to walk.

Well....i guess we could debate this forever, so here is my response.....

You care handicap parking is free because it is not fair....ok then....would you trade yourself for a handicap person just to get free parking?

Well, as much as everyone says no,,,,,handicap people are treated differently and get a different set of rules also. No matter what, in the U.S. it starts in elementary school and runs forever. Peoiple treat people different for a mirage of reasons.....hair color, skin color, race, i guess you get the idea. Is it right or fair? NO aboslutely not. It is just the way or society is. It's the wussification of America. Everyone wants to think thjey are special and deserve something for nothing. I have a lawyer friend, i asked him once about being discriminated at work (for arguement sake) and before i could even finish, he started laughing. I asked what was so funny and he told me....dont know how true......that a white male in the U.S. would NEVER win a discrimination lawsuit.

Sometimes in life you have to pick and choose your battles. If it is something you can change, great go for it, however there are some things in life you CAN't change. No need to really gripe and moan about it, just shrug it off and move on. Is it really that bothersome to you? If you let too many of these things gets bottled up inside it will cause pain in the future.

Thanks for letting me share and have a anice day.

Edited by gogetter

A very wise post, Gogetter.

How about cruiselines?

Do you think about senior rates? Florida (or any state) resident rates? Kids sale free rates? New booking only rates?

How about paying less in taxes if you have more kids? How about paying taxes for schools if you don't have kids?

We were on 75 (Alligator Alley) after our last cruise and the pickup truck in front of us flashed something at the toll attendant and went through. He also had a Seminole Indian license plate. We asked the attendant if he didn't have to pay. She said Seminole Indians didn't. (I don't know if this is just 75 or all toll roads in Fl.) Should I have complained that my tolls would be lower if the State didn't offer this to the Seminoles?

None of the above bothers me at all. Who cares?

Well you know.......i do not have kids and have wondered why i would have to pay taxes or any extra penny sales tax on all purchases. The school buses clog the roads......it's not fair.......alsp i think people need a license to have kids.....

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there are porters that will come to the car to get your luggage and at the end take it back to your car? My parents are cruising from Miami and my mom is in a wheelchair and on oxygen. There is no way my dad can push her and all her gadgets plus luggage. Thanks for any info!

I'll chime in, sans flame-retardent suit.

It is absurd that the parking is provided free of charge for anyone with a handicap permit. I have no problem with handicap-only parking (i.e. reserving the "up close" spots for those of limited mobility). But if it's at an event where there is generally a fee to park, the handicap spots should be subject to the same exact fee.

It is FAR MORE absurd for a healthy person to drop off the handicapped passenger, then go park and expect to park for free. And it should be a ciminal offense, subject to towing of the vehicle, if you drop 'em then go park in one of the handicap spots. Keep in mind that if you do that, the spots might fill & someone who ACTUALLY NEEDS THE HANDICAP PARKING SPOT will then have to go park in whatever's left & try to make their way to the terminal from that spot. Frankly, if you do that you deserve a physical beatdown.

BTW to those who think badly of me for my opinion on this - my mom is handicapped, having lost a leg in a car crash when I was 6 months old (48 years ago). As she aged, her mobility decreased; for the last 8 to 10 years she's been fully reliant on either a wheelchair or a scooter to get around, and fully reliant on my dad to do most everything for her. I guarantee you their thoughts on this mirror mine - they feel so strongly about people gaming the handicap permits that they had a falling out with one of my uncles over his abuses of the system.

I don't really care that much about a truly handicapped person parking free (i.e. like the earlier poster who mentioned that sometimes her disabled parents cruise alone & drive themselves to the port). But if you're dropping off the disabled person, then you're going to the garage & looking for a freeby parking spot, you're abusing the system & contributing to the negative perceptions many have towards the way the handicap parking system works.

Does anyone know if there are porters that will come to the car to get your luggage and at the end take it back to your car? My parents are cruising from Miami and my mom is in a wheelchair and on oxygen. There is no way my dad can push her and all her gadgets plus luggage. Thanks for any info!

Having parked at the garage in Miami several times, I can only tell you this. When you arrive BACKFROM THE CRUISE, the porters will generally take you and your luggage to the garage where there is a waiting area for you to have your passenger wait for you while you get your car. Some of the guys will go with you to your car and help you load the luggage.

A nice tip is expected for this service. However, in reverse, when you arrive at the pier, the porters probably will not get your luggage from the garage at take it to the ship, What you should do, is drop your luggage at the pier first, and then go to the gaarage and park. You will then be able to push your wheelchair to board the ship without having to worry about dragging the bags with you.

• 2 years later...