South America Cruise + Macchu Pichu - which direction & when

swedie

First, let me say that cc is awesome and I thank everyone for all/any info we have gleaned from it! Thanks!

There were three couples planning a South American cruise and also wanting to do Macchu Pichu, although one couple wants to go to the Galapagos - I'm thinking we can split up before/after cruise and go separate ways for our little/big side trips! Gotta keep everyone happy!

We realize the seasons are opposite of ours - do not really want to go to MP during their rainy season (their summer?), I'm thinking MP will be cooler as it is IN the mountains, but the Galapagos could be downright steamy. I don't think anyone wants freezing for the southern part - layering works, but we don't want to drag our mid-winter gear with either. We would appreciate calmer seas going around the horn (my husband already backed out of this cruise:eek:, which in turn has my brother backing out :eek::eek:! - 2 guys down-one to go?:confused:) Is there a better month to go around the horn = calmer waters. I've read all the posts I could find, but none of them really state which months are best for the waters and in which direction to go - Val. to BA or BA to Val. Right now it doesn't matter which port we would start from, and which months

Anything else anyone can add would be more than welcome!

Direction does not matter. It depends on whether you want to do the other destinations before or after your cruise. Both Peru and Galapagos are on the West coast, so do them while you are on that side.

We went around the Horn with beautiful calm seas at the end of January. Others have not. In any case, it will be only one day and probably not too bumpy. The rest of the cruise will be fine.

Machu Picchu will be cooler than the shore, but still in the tropical region. Whichever layers you bring for the cruise will be more than enough (if not too much) for MP. You do not need winter gear.

Galapagos are right on the equator, but they are also at the end of the cold Humboldt current, so it will be pleasant year round. The water will be a little cool and you will have nice breezes. You can also have hot days, but not unpleasant. (The mainland in Guayaquil will be hot and steamy, but you will only be in the airport for a short time.)

Thanks Marazul!

I realize I stated month doesn't matter, but at this time we were looking at October - does it tend to be rougher seas and much cooler weather at that time? Or would even March be OK?

It does seem most of the ships sail Jan. or Feb. - is there a reason for that? as far as weather and/or seas?

Jan and Feb are the equivalent of July and August in the North. Oct. is the equivalent of April. March would be like September. (Add or subtract 6 from the month you are interested in and it gives you the equivalent month in the other hemisphere.)

I would avise you to look at the historical weather and rain data for each location in weatherunderground.com.

Again, for Machu Picchu and Galapagos the key would be rain data because they are in the tropics and the temperarture does not change that much during the year. But they do have a rainy season. In March you would have the rainy season in MP. But it doesn't rain constantly, so you take your chances. Same as with the rough seas. You can't predict it that far in advance.

For the Horn, you are in well protected waters until you make the run out to go around it. It could be a choppy six hours or so. If the seas are really rough, the ship might cancel it. Don't overthink it. Just check weather data for the best combination for the places you are looking at.

Or consider going to MP and Galapagos some other time. Then make sure you go to Iguazu falls before or after your cruise.

We were planning to go to Machu Picchu during our January cruise in South America and read about the mudslides and rain that could occur in their winter. We decided to decouple Machu Picchu from the cruise and went there and the Galapagos in late August/early September. Fabulous weather all over, except for drizzly, dreary Lima. It was never hot and humid (we didn't get off the plane in Guayaquil). The water was chilly in the Galapagos but the Humbolt current also brings lots and lots of animals. There was one guy with us who couldn't swim at all and still had a great time.

I now believe we won't be going until perhaps March of 2013:(, or maybe even Jan or Feb of 2013. Trying to work out time needed to be at work and being away for that length of time. We do want to do MP along with this trip and trying to come up with the best time weatherwise and seawise in being able to do this.

I also think we're adding the falls to our itinerary. I've been looking at the falls and all the raves everyone has given them and I think we have a need to go! Figure while we're there, we want it all! This would be a big 3 off our bucket list. Problem is the more research we do, the more things we're adding onto the list!

We are now also down to "2" doing this trip! This is almost better, as there is a lot less compromising we will have to do!

Thanks again sooooo much for your answers.

swedie, aka Jane.

You're welcome. And since you are talking bucket list and just two people to make plans, have you considered Easter Island? It would be the right time in Jan-Mar. You can do Iguazu at one end and EI at the other. And still save MP and Galapagos for another time. Jan-Mar are rainy in MP. Search this board for "Easter Island."

BTW - whenever we have made firm plans and let others know, we always find someone who wants to come along . . . just let them know you are not making any changes!

Archived