Opera & Fantasia Sept/Oct - my point of view

Rassa

MSC Opera Cruise – 20 days 16 September as sold to Aussies but it was actually two 10 day cruises. The cruise ports and the price were good, that is why we chose this one. Some ports were not so great, but that happens with any cruise. Here are my thoughts (some gripes) just telling you as it happened. The ship was beautiful and was not tired looking to me.

Arrived at Heathrow to be greeted by MSC rep and then private taxi to Southampton – nice touch and transfer not too expensive. Boarded around noon – no problem. Lunch in the Buffet was so so as the food was cold, a common problem with Opera Buffet.

A fair number of Aussies on board and we were on a table of 6 of them in the MDR for dinner. We had tap water with our dinner and coffee as well. Our cabin was an oceanview on 9th deck and it was comfortable and nice.

FOOD – I enjoyed the food on Opera as I like Italian food and I am mainly vegetarian. If I did not get enough to eat, ordering a fish main meal with a vergetarian was no problem. We did not go to the Buffet for lunch much as we liked getting ice cream for dessert. The Buffet for breakfast was fine as we only eat fruit with a possible muffin etc. On busy mornings with passengers disembarking, it was a very busy place. I felt the buffet was too small for a ship that size.

From the 2nd 10 day cruise, we were told, there would be no more tap water or coffee for dinner or lunch in the MDR – very silly MSC (and we did ask nicely for it to be re-instated, to no avail) as it was sold to Aussies as a 20 day cruise, not two 10 day cruises and the rules changed midway. Two Aussie ladies requested a meeting to be inserted in daily newsletter so Aussies could meet and that was rejected. Hey MSC, that would happen on American ships. Something that would probably put off the return cruisers.

The different nationals and the 5 languages – generally this was not a problem but in the Theatre in the evening when the Cruise Director was introducing the acts, it was very annoying and I feel the other nationals also felt that way. Europeans are probably used to this but I would think, it may turn off some Aussies or Americans, as repeat MSC cruises (English cruises were probably used to it also).

Entertainment – quite enjoyable but completely repeated for the 2nd 10 day cruise – mmm not so good. There were a number of rooms we could go and listen to music. There were generally duo bands and some were better than others – all in all, good.

Sea Days – were generally boring compared to on American ships where extensive talks on ports are given, as well as talks by interesting persons and guest speakers. I guess this would be hard on Italian lines due to the different nationals. Another reason my husband wants to go back to Princess. Day 13 was a sea day and many of the Aussies were wanting the cruise to finish but once that was over, the great ports were back on again and all was forgotten.

The Ports – excellent, which I won’t go into here as I just wanted everyone to know my thoughts on MSC. We did some ship tours but generally walked around ourselves. Another difference with MSC was for instance the sail through the Bosphorus Sea had no commentary like we have had on American ships (i.e. Panama Canal, passing Volcano in Stromboli) and so disappointing to have to guess the sites of interest along the way. A partial tender process in Dobrovnic to allow room for another MSC ship – very, very disorganised as I think staff are not used to the tender process.

Bus Pick up or Cruise – there were so many cruisers embarking and disembarking along the way, it felt more like a bus at times. So was this a gripe – don’t know, never seen it as extensive as on MSC.

The ship – on embarking, we thought it was a beautiful ship with about 2000 passengers. The pool area was nice, just one outside. The chair hog thing was soooooooo prevalent, even though one had to sign towels in and out. I think this was just a process and no-one charged for towels not returned as there was so many towels left on empty chairs – so bad as people tried to find chairs to sit on during sunny times, the worst I have ever seen.

Disembarking – easy for us as we requested an early one as we had to get to the north of Italy by bus and train that day from Venice – thank you MSC for that, as there were 8 ships in that day.

So did MSC win on this one and get our money by us ordering bottled water and wine on cruise 2 – yes, we had great table mates and shared a bottle a night. Overall did MSC win – no, because we will most likely return to American Ships.

FANTASIA – 7 day cruise (early October) to western Europe.

Beautiful ship – so glad we did this second or we may have been very disappointed to go on Opera afterwards.

However, there were over 4,000+ passengers – would I travel on such a large ship again – most likely not. Generally, the number of passengers was not a problem but disembarkation was the worst I have ever experienced. We tried to get early disembarkation and it was a flat NO to everybody who asked. They had their method and they were not going to change whatever the time of your plane. Some passengers I am sorry to say probably missed their connections. I was lucky to catch my trains and planes but I shall take heed and will never catch a long haul flight on disembarkation day. On the actual day out of Genoa, there was such disorganisation that I flew the coup and left with the second group leaving (I was in the corridor as they were making their way out of the ship while I was trying to get to my group of disembarkation) but I just joined in at the end of the line and there was no-one to stop me in the corridor, it was chaotic. Passports were released very late due to Fantasia staff not being organised when handing them out – it was terrible. I also made the assumption that there would be a transfer to Milpensa – wrong big time but my fault.

But back to the good stuff. Embarkation was easy. The Buffet was much better and beautiful on this ship as they kept their food hot, but there were days it was very, very crowded. There was ample food for vegetarians – some days were good and some days the offerings not as good (but all in all similar to other cruise lines). Again no tap water and coffee with dinner. However, we got used to going up to the Buffet after dinner and having a cup of tea. English teabags however were low on supply at the end of the cruises on both ships – very bad, lots of other tea bags that no-one seemed to use but ordinary English tea – aren’t they trying to attract our custom?

Entertainment – good bands around the place but not too many listeners. Again the Theatre was good but usual gripe, the Cruise Director introducing the acts in 5 languages. Lots of bored kids in the Theatre. It did not bother me but they did distract. However the Theatre was very large and never packed out. Otherwise, only saw kids in the buffet and it was not a great problem.

The Pool area – excellent and not too many chair hog problems as there was a 20 minute save only rule – did not see any evidence of the chairs being taken away, but as there were not too many chairs with towels on them, it was probably adhered to more on this ship. My husband loved the sea water pools. There was a good indoor pool where one could swim and sit on cool days. The smoking was not a huge problem for me, but it may have been for other non-smokers.

The Food – excellent again and the same menu as on Opera, so I knew the ropes and ordered the good stuff. Had a great table of 8 Aussies. Afternoon tea on both ships was not great and I much prefer the high tea on Princess and Holland America.

There were a few Aussies on board and a large group of about 100 Americans – no one seemed to be complaining about the differences on MSC ships, so all was good.

The Ports – excellent again (especially Malta). Again, not much info on what to expect in the ports and the excursions but we had no sea days to get bored.

The cabin – a window view on deck 5, excellent, the biggest cabin we have ever had. Was it a problem on such a low deck – not at all, it was close to the atrium and the service areas. However, it was too much to walk all the stairs to the Buffet and Pool area and the elevators were always busy.

The shuttles that we had to pay for in ports (on both ships) were very expensive and way overpriced. The excursions were not highly expensive but it was hit and miss. Tunisia had the obligatory carpet demonstration like Turkey – I avoid excursions in those places big time. MSC was making lots of money on their sale of wines and water. Coffee was not too expensive but I stayed away from it as European coffee was so strong.

So would I cruise MSC again (or Costa) – only if the price and itinerary are too good to pass up but probably not - I am back to Princess for my next 2 (long) cruises.

Rosie

Archived