Luggage handling - Sydney OCT

I posted the following on the HAL board -but it occurs to me that the people on this board will be more knowlegeable:D

---------------------------------------------------------

May I hang a similiar question on the OP's - and ref to HAL embarkation systems concerning baggage at Sydney OCT.

Can I assume that - when one arrives at the OT - bags are checked in first - then you go thro' another process to board - eg security and check in etc.

On this assumption - After you check in the bags - can you wander off for a short while - say for 1/2 hour or so - to maybe take some photos of the ship from over at the Opera house side - or grab a few bottles ( wine only) at the local bottle shop - have a cuppa with a friend across on Circular Quay.

In other words - is it compulsory to follow the Bag Check in - immediately to security and general check in.

I also assume - that once on the ship you can't get off again.

-----------------------------------------------

TIA

You do not have to check in immediately after handing your bags over. Baggage collection is usually open hours before the check-in anyway. Usually check-in is less busy if you wait until later (although we are always keen to board so we don't wait!):)

You are correct in saying that once you board you will not be allowed to go ashore again.

Can you take wine onto HAL ships? I am not sure.

can you wander off for a short while - say for 1/2 hour or so[/b] - to maybe take some photos of the ship from over at the Opera house side - or grab a few bottles ( wine only) at the local bottle shop - have a cuppa with a friend across on Circular Quay.

In other words - is it compulsory to follow the Bag Check in - immediately to security and general check in.

I also assume - that once on the ship you can't get off again.

-----------------------------------------------

TIA

Yes you can wander off and also take bottled wine on board. We did this on a cruise from OPT with HAL about 5 years ago. I checked their web site and the policy remains the same - wine is OK. Following extract is from HAL web site.

"Can I Bring Alcoholic Beverages Onboard?

Except for wine and champagne' date=' alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.[/color']

A corkage fee of US$18.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption.

Room Service offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages."

Congratulations and enjoy the celebrations. You should enjoy HAL for a special occasion cruise.

Colleen

and Princess who assured us it was an Australian Government (Immigration Dept) ruling.

when we cruised on the Diamond from Sydney we were allowed to go ashore after having lunch....i think its only with aussie ships

Thanks every body for the replies. Our grandaughter works in an office block 2 mins from Circular Quay - so I was hoping that DH and I could have lunch with her without messing around with suitcases.

One can take as much wine on board that the porters can carry:rolleyes: - and enough tonic water to go with the Vodka ---bought in our suite ;)

Archived