Backpack, Duffel, Beach Bag??

crusinKimmie

I have been on several cruises and haven't yet been able to solve a problem. Whenever we go into port, we find ourselves needing to take so many things with us, particuliarly if we are going to spend some time at a beach, sightseeing, shopping: 2 towels, suntan lotion, books, camera, water bottles, water shoes, water wallet, change of clothes (if swimming), sometime snokeling gear X 2, etc., etc. We use a large beach bag, however, it gets to be very heavy. I have not been successful finding a "backpack" that is: 1) large enough to hold all of these items 2) light enough not to ruin the day with my hubby complaining of a backache. Has anyone come up with a solution - other than going back and forth to the boat after each activity?

Swiss Army makes some great packs with a lot of storage that are very comfortable. You could also try one person gets a backpack for towels clothes and gear, the other has a camelbag for water and lotions. Speedo makes mens trunks with the waterproof wallet sewn in.

I usually utilize the "hotel" I am staying in, it gives me the oppurtunity to come back to the ship, maybe get a shower if I have been to the beach and change into some dryer clothes, however, if you are only in port for the day, that might not be feasible.

Just my 2 cents.

art

I have been on several cruises and haven't yet been able to solve a problem. Whenever we go into port, we find ourselves needing to take so many things with us, particuliarly if we are going to spend some time at a beach, sightseeing, shopping: 2 towels, suntan lotion, books, camera, water bottles, water shoes, water wallet, change of clothes (if swimming), sometime snokeling gear X 2, etc., etc. We use a large beach bag, however, it gets to be very heavy. I have not been successful finding a "backpack" that is: 1) large enough to hold all of these items 2) light enough not to ruin the day with my hubby complaining of a backache. Has anyone come up with a solution - other than going back and forth to the boat after each activity?

Kimmie, I think your on the right track with a backpack. Maybe you should each have one and split the items up between you. That's what we do and it works for us. :D If you need ideas on where to get a great deal, post your email address and I will give you some great ideas..

We usally take a medium size back bag and then I purchased a zipper beach type bag from Avon for things - it is nice because the sides have a place to hold a beach towel or two.

My husband carries a back pack and I carry a tote bag. My husband's back pack has different compartments for water bottle, credit cards, etc.

A sporting goods or outdoors store that sells camping or hiking backpacks are great. They will have a better selection and a better variety to choose from. They even have insulated ones that will keep your water bottle cold.

• 4 weeks later...

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR FEEDBACKS. I WAS HOPING TO AVOID THE RESPONSE OF "each of you should have your own backpack to share the load", but I see there are a lot of happily married people out there with that kind of attitude. :rolleyes: :p . I am going to check out all of the sites you guys referred and prepare for our next trip. We are taking our three daughters/significant others and grandbaby. Hey........that just reminded me......who was it that responded that they thought kids were meant for the schlepping - :D

Archived