beds help!!

sabaka

We just got off the Zuiderdam 3/26 sailing and fell Totally in love with the bed in our s suite! I have been having pain in my feet and hands for months and have been under a doctors and chiropactors care. I was pain free for the entire cruise! Back home and in pain again! I remember a thread here telling what brand of bed and where to get one did a search and can't find it! Can some one help? We want to start researching beds and are considering the one from the ship or any others out there that are similar. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I did some searches on the net and found a web site that said the make of bed being used was:

Sealy posturepaedic europlush

Here is a link to the web site.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/review121957.html

It was in a review of the Westerdam.

And here is a link that says it is for sale in selected Sears stores but only in twin size which would have been the size that the ship would have been using.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=SEARS&sid=I0080602360004500085&pid=08230019000

Hope it helps you.

Have a great next cruise.

From HAL's web site - it is a Sealy Premium Plush Euro-Top Mattress.

Call Sealy and they can give you the name of a dealer in your home city.

Aren't they wonderful. :) If we hadn't bought a new mattress 3 years ago, I'd run out and buy one tomorrow. Have never slept better. :D

I too wanted to reproduce that wonderful bed. Since our mattress set is only a couple years old, we can't replace it butI called Sealy and asked about the beds used on HAL> The lovely woman with whom I spoke said, yes, they were Euro-plush mattresses but the topper on the bed wasn't their product. She gave me the number of the company which made the topper. It's Pacific Coast Feather Co. and can be found online at http://www.pacificcoastfeather.com. I called their toll-free number and left a message asking what they had provided. "Andy" called me back saying that what the company provided HAL was only sold to the hospitality industry but the closest thing to it is a product called "Sealy POsturpedic Polarguard Fiberbed" Andy said it's only sold on Amazon. I immediately ordered one and then tried to think how I could duplicate the euro=plush mattress underneath. What I came up with is a 2 inch thick "memory foam" mattress topper. I've slpet with the memory foam on top of our rock hard mattress then then the Sealy fiberbed on top of that. It's as close to our bed on the Zuiderdam as I've found. Wondereful. (No, I don't work for Sealy, just loved that bed!). The best part about this "new " bed is that we haven't lost the firmness of our old mattress, the fiberbed and foam just fill in the curves and support you. Not the feeling of being smothered like in a featherbed either.

Hope this helps you get a great night's sleep!

Ours is also an almost exact replica of the one we had last week on Volendam, including the memory foam - Serta Perfect sleeper with plush Eurotop.

Because of allergies, I recently removed my featherbed topper and was amazed at how much it felt like I was back on the Volendam!

Thanks all, keep these bed options comming! I went on-line yesterday and started searching sooo many different models of sealy euro-tops huge price range difference too. Does anyone have a sleep number bed at home and can you compare it to the beds on HAL? Our mattress is only a few years old but after the way I felt on board compared to at home before and now after the cruise I am determined to get a new bed! I think that I will save loads in the long run on Doctor bills and Meds! I really thought that the people on this board were nuts the way they talked about the HAL beds, but I am now happily nuts too!!!!!

Thank you, Thank you, Everyone for all the research. We just got off the Oosterdam and in my short review "the beds" were what was the number one distinguishing factor from other cruises we have taken. And, we ARE in the market for a new bed, so now I'm on the hunt! I am a good sleeper on just about anything, but that bed (and it was in a standard balcony cabin) was absolutely the best I've ever slept on anywhere. Happy snoozing to you all!

Thanks all, keep these bed options comming! I went on-line yesterday and started searching sooo many different models of sealy euro-tops huge price range difference too. Does anyone have a sleep number bed at home and can you compare it to the beds on HAL? Our mattress is only a few years old but after the way I felt on board compared to at home before and now after the cruise I am determined to get a new bed! I think that I will save loads in the long run on Doctor bills and Meds! I really thought that the people on this board were nuts the way they talked about the HAL beds, but I am now happily nuts too!!!!!

I know there is a huge variance in models, styles, etc. When we started looking for one close to HAL's, I got so confused. I started with all the higher end versions and the closest we came was the Serta. All the Sealy's I tried didn't quite feel the same to me, but I couldn't find any I liked without the pillowtop (which I didn't really want) - make sure you look for Eurotop with memory foam. We paid about $1900 for our King Set on sale, but we got it during a "half off" sale at a local mattress dealer. We tried out the sleep number beds a couple of times and I didn't care for them at all - our friends have one and they hate it, so that may cause me to be biased, but I just don't think they compare. You have to give them all a try though, there are so many different types and styles. Good Luck! It has made a world of difference for us, so I know how important it is. :)

We purchased a sleep number bed just before leaving on our Zuiderdam cruise last fall. We had a lot of problems with it in the beginning which are pretty much resolved now. Doesn't compare at all. Ours is dual chamber with pillow top. I wish we had slept on the Zui's beds before buying the sleep number bed, I would definitely have tried to duplicate that. They were pure heaven and I've never said that about any bed I've slept in. I may look for another topper for our bed at the above link to see if that would make it better or closer to the Zui's bedding.

On a related note, our yellow lab LOVES the sleep number bed, LOL :)

Of course he wasn't on the Zui with us, he'd have probably never left the ship if he had tried that one :)

I too wanted to reproduce that wonderful bed. Since our mattress set is only a couple years old, we can't replace it butI called Sealy and asked about the beds used on HAL> The lovely woman with whom I spoke said, yes, they were Euro-plush mattresses but the topper on the bed wasn't their product. She gave me the number of the company which made the topper. It's Pacific Coast Feather Co. and can be found online at www.pacificcoastfeather.com. I called their toll-free number and left a message asking what they had provided. "Andy" called me back saying that what the company provided HAL was only sold to the hospitality industry but the closest thing to it is a product called "Sealy POsturpedic Polarguard Fiberbed" Andy said it's only sold on Amazon. I immediately ordered one and then tried to think how I could duplicate the euro=plush mattress underneath. What I came up with is a 2 inch thick "memory foam" mattress topper. I've slpet with the memory foam on top of our rock hard mattress then then the Sealy fiberbed on top of that. It's as close to our bed on the Zuiderdam as I've found. Wondereful. (No, I don't work for Sealy, just loved that bed!). The best part about this "new " bed is that we haven't lost the firmness of our old mattress, the fiberbed and foam just fill in the curves and support you. Not the feeling of being smothered like in a featherbed either.

Hope this helps you get a great night's sleep!

:( Please tell me the new mattresses don't have real "feather" toppers! I can't even be near a feather pillow, let alone a mattress topper with feathers. The new mattresses were put on the Maasdam when we got off last Holiday cruise and I was so looking forward to them in November.

A lot of the cruise lines are paying attention to the beds on their ships.

But :( to say the worst bed I have had was on cruise 3 of the Noordam. Bedding by Hard Brick did not sleep well. I would wake up once a night with back problems, and would sit for 30 before I would go back to sleep.

LOL, I have friends that will be sailing on Oceania this summer and I have asked for a cruise report on Oceania's "Tranquility Beds". When you have a cruise brochure with one page just showing a bed....... :D:D

We just bought a Serta "Perfect Night" and our nights have really been perfect. After sleeping on the bed on the Statendam we had to get a new matress. We had been pushing ours, but after the cruise, the old one was intolerable. Besides, it helps us feel we are back onboard! :)

Linda

Thanks, love the info! Just got back from the 3/26 zuiderdam back to sunny Arizona and into the worst allergy season I have ever had! I remember as a kid growing up in Michigan the Dr always said move to AZ her allergies will go a way! Not. Anyway we will be going out next week , after I get some good allergy med to shop for the bed. Looks like so far we need to look at Sealy Posturepedic Euro top and Serta's Perfect night . I think the sleep number may be out of the running as we now have heard they tend to have some trouble adjusting to as well as a strange oder. Any others? Now trying to find which store has the best price!

:( Please tell me the new mattresses don't have real "feather" toppers! I can't even be near a feather pillow, let alone a mattress topper with feathers. The new mattresses were put on the Maasdam when we got off last Holiday cruise and I was so looking forward to them in November.

I'm also allergic to feather pillows or anything with feathers, and I had no problem with the mattress on the Westerdam. There's no feathers in the "topper" as far as I know - if there were, I would have been sneezing all night! :)

Looks like so far we need to look at Sealy Posturepedic Euro top and Serta's Perfect night . I think the sleep number may be out of the running as we now have heard they tend to have some trouble adjusting to as well as a strange oder. Any others? Now trying to find which store has the best price!

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes... we are having the worst allergy season here in Colorado too! The cottonwoods are getting ready to explode, but because of the huge variance in temps this spring we already have tons of pollen! :(

Make sure you try out a good selection of mattresses - we finally settled on the the Serta Perfect Sleeper and couldn't be happier.

Thanks all for the great advice, bed bought!!! Hope we did well. Went to many bed stores and did on line research actually found a review and forum called thebestmattress.com. We ended up with a Serta. They have a new line called the Masterpiece collection. You can only find it in select stores. The names of the mattresses themselves varies from store to store but this one is essentially a memory foam and coil ultra plush euro top with the cashmier cover. They carry different covers for different regions because of temps. We found about the same Sealy as HAL had but were able to compare this Serta to the Sealy and liked the Serta even better than the HAL bed!! The store we bought from has a 90 day sleep gaurentee so if we do not like it we can go back and get the Sealy . The Sealy is actually about $300 less for the King set and they will give us the difference back! It will be delivered next Tuesday so I will let you all know how it works out! I would also like to take this time to give a heart felt Thank-you to everyone on these boards. I feel any cruise is a good cruise but the people here really make every cruise a great cruise. And to take the time out of your day to help me research a bed, well that is extrordinary! Just the thought of waking up and my body feeling like it did on HAL is a blessing in it's self! Thanks

Thanks all for the great advice, bed bought!!! Hope we did well. Went to many bed stores and did on line research actually found a review and forum called thebestmattress.com. We ended up with a Serta. They have a new line called the Masterpiece collection. You can only find it in select stores. The names of the mattresses themselves varies from store to store but this one is essentially a memory foam and coil ultra plush euro top with the cashmier cover. They carry different covers for different regions because of temps. We found about the same Sealy as HAL had but were able to compare this Serta to the Sealy and liked the Serta even better than the HAL bed!! The store we bought from has a 90 day sleep gaurentee so if we do not like it we can go back and get the Sealy . The Sealy is actually about $300 less for the King set and they will give us the difference back! It will be delivered next Tuesday so I will let you all know how it works out! I would also like to take this time to give a heart felt Thank-you to everyone on these boards. I feel any cruise is a good cruise but the people here really make every cruise a great cruise. And to take the time out of your day to help me research a bed, well that is extrordinary! Just the thought of waking up and my body feeling like it did on HAL is a blessing in it's self! Thanks

Thanks for sharing your research with me...we are also in the market for a new mattress, and will wait until next week to hear of your experience.

Pincus

Archived