Time Zone Confusion

supermom123

I did a search, but I am still confused about the time zones. I am sailing on the Conquest out of New Orleans on Feb 19th. Will the ship stay on Central Time for the entire cruise? Daylight Savings will not be in effect. So if we are scheduled to be in Grand Cayman from 7:00-4:00, does this mean 8:00-5:00 island time?

If I book an excursion through the ship, the time they give me will be ship time, correct? If I book an independant excursion, the time they give me will be island time, correct?

Thanks for the assistance. I have cruised before, but never thought to book an excursion outside of the cruise ship. What a difference being on CC makes in planning!

I did a search, but I am still confused about the time zones. I am sailing on the Conquest out of New Orleans on Feb 19th. Will the ship stay on Central Time for the entire cruise? Daylight Savings will not be in effect. So if we are scheduled to be in Grand Cayman from 7:00-4:00, does this mean 8:00-5:00 island time?

If I book an excursion through the ship, the time they give me will be ship time, correct? If I book an independant excursion, the time they give me will be island time, correct?

Thanks for the assistance. I have cruised before, but never thought to book an excursion outside of the cruise ship. What a difference being on CC makes in planning!

My question is similar... so hopefully someone can give a definitive answer to the OP on their situation... and then mine too? :)

I'm sailing out of Miami on the Valor on the 19th. Excursion time in Key West is 8:00-5:00. Excursion time in Georgetown is 7:00-4:00, and in Ocho Rios is 7:00-3:30.

Is the excursion time based on ship time?

In almost all cases the ship time is the local time as the clocks are adjusted on the ship to coincide with the local time of the port you are visiting.

Keith

Okay, thanks. So the ships time will change as we move back and forth through time zones?

In almost all cases the ship time is the local time as the clocks are adjusted on the ship to coincide with the local time of the port you are visiting.

Keith

Not for our cruise.

We sailed out of Miami and stayed on Eastern time during the entire cruise. Our grand cayman excursion was on grand cayman time so they were an hour behind (aka US Central Daylight Saving time). I had to always keep that in mind while we were off the boat.

• 2 weeks later...

On Carnival cruises the clocks don't change between time zones. Whatever time zone you started in will be the zone the ship's clocks stay in.

Right now New Orleans is on CST and Grand Cayman is on EST. So, if it's 8AM in New Orleans (ship time), it will be 9AM in Grand Cayman.

Excursions booked through the cruise ship are based on SHIP TIME.

Keep your watch set to the ship's time... that way if you have to be back on board by say, 4pm ship time, you will know that your watch is telling you the time you should care about.

On Carnival cruises the clocks don't change between time zones. Whatever time zone you started in will be the zone the ship's clocks stay in.

Right now New Orleans is on CST and Grand Cayman is on EST. So, if it's 8AM in New Orleans (ship time), it will be 9AM in Grand Cayman.

Keep your watch set to the ship's time... that way if you have to be back on board by say, 4pm ship time, you will know that your watch is telling you the time you should care about.

Agree that Carnival does not change their time to suit time zones in port.

You do need to be careful when booking excursions through outside vendors as they will run on local time. I typically book excursions independently and confirm the timing with each vendor.

Different lines handle it differently. Definitely keep your watch on "ship time". I've been on ships that have switched per time zone and others that stay on the same time. Make sure to read your daily newsletter and it will tell you what time you should watch and each of the port times for the day.

If the ship doesn't switch time zones, you will have to compensate when making a booking with a company that is non-ship sponsored. If you are on a ship sponsored tour, just meet at the time specified on your ticket in accordance to the time on the ship.

So, just as a note, READ READ READ your newsletter each night for the next days time zones and whether or not to switch your watch!! Do not assume you do or do not change your watch. Each ship is different!!

So, if I am sailing out of Tampa, that is Eastern Time, correct?

It says we will be in Cayman 7 am to 4 pm. That is 7 am Eastern.

And Eastern is ship time AND Cayman time, right???

Does that mean no time zone confusion for me in that port???

Archived