Shootout in Cabo??

Laughing Angel

goodness - are there state advisories in regards to Cabo? I wasn't aware. I guess I will have to check and see if those advisories for Cabo (since this is a thread about Cabo) are still in place when I cruise there in about a year.

This is the full advisory. It is a general warning for Mexico but the advisory then includes specific, elevated warnings about a number of specific areas (none of which are Cabo): http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5440.html

Here in America, Detroit bus drivers just walked off the job after the most recent driver assault, insisting the city provide onboard police protection before they would return to duty. In Philadelphia, a man popped out an AK-47 and tore apart a bar filled with patrons during operating hours and in California an irate ex-husband gunned down his wife and a number of salon customers.

Just be aware, smart, and look to your instincts wherever you are. Having visited Philadelphia a few days after the shooting, I could not have had a more relaxed, pleasant, and enjoyable trip. Nice city. I didn't even hear a gun shot or an angry shout. Too much bad news, in the news.

This is the full advisory. It is a general warning for Mexico but the advisory then includes specific, elevated warnings about a number of specific areas (none of which are Cabo): http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5440.html

Here in America, Detroit bus drivers just walked off the job after the most recent driver assault, insisting the city provide onboard police protection before they would return to duty. In Philadelphia, a man popped out an AK-47 and tore apart a bar filled with patrons during operating hours and in California an irate ex-husband gunned down his wife and a number of salon customers.

Just be aware, smart, and look to your instincts wherever you are. Having visited Philadelphia a few days after the shooting, I could not have had a more relaxed, pleasant, and enjoyable trip. Nice city. I didn't even hear a gun shot or an angry shout. Too much bad news, in the news.

Thank you for posting a more balanced view. I didn't think there was an advisory related to Cabo but wasn't sure. Glad to know there wasn't. And, yes, that's the point - alot of bad news, in the news. Definitely, we need to be very aware of the news that would put us in direct and horrible danger but, like a recent talk I heard, life is risky and we can choose to sit in our houses in fear or we can, with an educated mind, get out there. Oh my, I didn't mean to post an RCI marketing line:D

]

I read through the advisory and found it very interesting and informative. The things I found relevant to cruise travel are the warnings in the "state of Sinaloa" which would include Mazatlan. I have a fondness for this port but absolutely recognize as per this advisory it isnt wise to travel there now. I have a dear friend with a condo in Mazatlan and we've been wanting to go and enjoy some time there but won't unless this advisory is lifted. The other part of this advisory that I like is:

It is imperative that you understand the risks involved in travel to Mexico and how best to avoid dangerous situations. Common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas during daylight hours, and avoiding areas where criminal activity might occur, can help ensure that travel to Mexico is safe and enjoyableIt is imperative that you understand the risks involved in travel to Mexico and how best to avoid dangerous situations. Common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas during daylight hours, and avoiding areas where criminal activity might occur, can help ensure that travel to Mexico is safe and enjoyable.

This is my take and feelings in regards to these boards and cruise travel to Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. I hope those cruising to these areas will feel free to do so but use the above precautions that we all should use. I will continue to book cruises with these stops in the itinerary and sincerely hope that I have that option in the future.

I sincerely wish we didn't have to worry about these things and could cruise there like I have since the 1980's with freedom and ease but that isn't the world in which we live today.

I sincerely wish those that will continue to cruise to Mexico many safe and enjoyable cruises.

]

I sincerely wish we didn't have to worry about these things and could cruise there like I have since the 1980's with freedom and ease but that isn't the world in which we live today.

I sincerely wish those that will continue to cruise to Mexico many safe and enjoyable cruises.

I would be much more concerned about cruising the Caribbean than the Mexican Riviera. A 14 year old cruise ship passenger was killed in the crossfire in St Thomas. Anyone been to Jamaica lately? Now that is one scary place.

My point is no where is "safe" anymore, it's just the media blowing the situation in Mexico out of proportion.

I would be much more concerned about cruising the Caribbean than the Mexican Riviera. A 14 year old cruise ship passenger was killed in the crossfire in St Thomas. Anyone been to Jamaica lately? Now that is one scary place.

My point is no where is "safe" anymore, it's just the media blowing the situation in Mexico out of proportion.

I agree. I have cruised to Jamaica and wouldnt cruise there again. As you can see, I'm cruising to Mexico in 2013. But, it is sad that we have these things to think and talk about. Plus, as much as I love Mazatlan that is one port that I tend to agree with the cruiselines in staying away from right now. The US does have a travel advisory out for the state of Sinaloa in Mexico which Mazatlan is a part of. I also have a friend with a condo there and she's not planning on going until things seem more stable. And, I totally agree that the media and people are blowing things way out of proportion. I'm not sure what my post you are referencing was in response to but I am definitely still a champion of the Mexican Riviera cruises. I do them often and plan on continuing. Wherever we all choose to travel it is prudent to be aware of your surroundings. I recently heard a great talk where the speaker mentioned that life is risky but you still have to live it.

chloedmom, I love Mazatlan as well, and am sad that I cannot visit this great port of call. I agree with you that the situation on the ground is just too unstable (I also feel terrible for the many folks like Mazatlan Frank, Randi and others who work in the tourist industry there--they are taking a huge financial hit).

Unfortunately, in this day and age it's important for people to do their research and know what's going on in the places they plan to visit.

BTW, re: Jamaica--I've heard stories (some on these boards) that some people just flat out refuse to get off the ship in Jamaica. Yikes!

Laughing Angel, we will no longer get off the ship in Jamaica. The irony is that they have been running tourist commercials for years "welcome to Jamaica"and to meet the locals are not friendly and they are in your face. We just don't feel good about the situation so we now stay on the ship.

Keith

chloedmom, I love Mazatlan as well, and am sad that I cannot visit this great port of call. I agree with you that the situation on the ground is just too unstable (I also feel terrible for the many folks like Mazatlan Frank, Randi and others who work in the tourist industry there--they are taking a huge financial hit).

Unfortunately, in this day and age it's important for people to do their research and know what's going on in the places they plan to visit.

BTW, re: Jamaica--I've heard stories (some on these boards) that some people just flat out refuse to get off the ship in Jamaica. Yikes!

We did do a nice tour in Jamaica and enjoyed that portion of it but when we got back to the ship we decided to walk through the cruise terminal (rudest people ever) and walk a few blocks to a shopping area. All in all, that portion was very unpleasant so I always suggest to folks to do an arranged tour or go to one of the all-inclusive hotels for the day if they don't want to stay on the ship. I wouldn't ever book a cruise with Jamaica on the itinerary again.

• 2 weeks later...
Totally disagree with you and we live next to the border in San diego--violence from Mexico has spilled over into San Diego--there are plenty of other places to see and travel to---and I have been to Mexico many, many times--but now the environment there calls for myself to not to travel to Mexico period.

Bg

for

I have been in San Diego going on my 13th year now. Did you know it was ranked the 5th safest city over 500,000 population for the 10th year in a row? Both border MX. Just saying...

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2010/nov/22/el-paso-san-diego-among-safest-cities/

I have been in San Diego going on my 13th year now. Did you know it was ranked the 5th safest city over 500,000 population for the 10th year in a row? Both border MX. Just saying...

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2010/nov/22/el-paso-san-diego-among-safest-cities/

Amen, sister! Glad you posted this. Although, I now live in Orange County I did live 5 years in San Diego and go there often to see friends. I never, ever feel unsafe there.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/25/9012057-black-friday-violence-2-shot-in-armed-robberies-15-others-pepper-sprayed

We are leaving today to spend 3 months in Mexico, it is far too dangerous to shop in the U.S.

Enjoy your three months in Mexico. You are definitely probably safer than then contending with all the crazy shoppers across America that did black Friday, now doing Christimas shopping, and then will be doing New Year's sales shopping.

Crazy how some people act!

Archived