AmeriSuites 3/25/05

*katie*

I helped friends of mine, 2 couples, first-time cruisers, with their Century Western Caribbean last week. They loved the cruise, already can't wait to sail with Celebrity again, but every aspect of getting to and from was a disaster. The fiasco with AmeriSuites was one of them.

I booked AmeriSuites for them on Hotwire, 2 rooms. They couldn't fly in until late Friday night due to work. I called AmeriSuites Friday to confirm they had the reservation and to let them know that their flight didn't arrive until 1:20am and they would be checking in very late. The lady I spoke with was very friendly and assured me it was no problem, particularly since the rooms were already paid for.

When they arrived to check in, their rooms had been given away. This was 2:00am and the person working at the front made no effort to do anything. While one couple continued to insist on something being done, the other called the AmeriSuites 1-800 number from the lobby. They were hung up on. The girl at the front finally agreed to find them somewhere to stay, but would only give them a voucher for one room because she was insistent that it was only one reservation with two rooms in the room reserved. My friends had never stayed at AmeriSuites and didn't know that every room has two rooms, like the Embassy Suites. They didn't think I would book one room for them to share, but thought maybe it was a suite with two bedrooms or something like that. They had the Hotwire confirmation, but the girl kept insisting it was one reservation. So when she finally agreed to find them somewhere else, she would only give them one room voucher.

She told them she was sending them to the Sheraton and called a cab for them that the hotel was supposedly paying for. But when they got there, the cab said the hotel hadn't paid enough--this made sense later when they realized the hotel had sent the cab to the wrong Sheraton. Now well after 3:00am and they're standing there in the Sheraton being told that there's no reservation for them there and no vacancy anyway. That Sheraton at least called the other Sheraton in town and found that that's where they were supposed to go. The other cab was gone and the new one that was called didn't show and somehow they ended up hooking up with the only thing that went right going to and from the cruise--B&B Transportation. The driver took them to the other Sheraton and picked them up the next day to take them to port, told them exactly what time to get there to have no lines--recommended him highly.

Anway, after 4:00am, finally got to the other Sheraton and had to pay over $200, rack rate, for an additional room since AmeriSuites would only give one room voucher. They probably would have fought harder at the time, but, again, weren't totally sure since I was the one who made the reservation. I double-checked my credit card bill and I was definitely charged for two rooms, $158.95. I plan to get on the phone tomorrow making calls about this, but not feeling very optimistic about any positive response.

Katie that isn't normal so someone really screwed up there.... Did you friends not have a copy of the original Reservation with them??? The one that states it was two rooms!!! Or have I just misunderstood you?

Hi:) so sorry about your misadventure:( I agree, it sounds like someone screwed up big time.

I stayed there on March 11th and everything went very smoothly.

Hope you can get the problem resolved.

They did have a copy of the reservation showing they had booked 2 rooms--but the person at the desk insisted to them that this meant they had one room booked and that room had 2 rooms in it, not 2 rooms booked. Of course, all of the rooms at AmeriSuites have 2 rooms in them, but my friends did not know that.

They didn't want to call me at 2:30am to try to clear it up, but I would have been up anyway. When I saw that their flight into Atlanta was very late, I was concerned they had missed their connection and called the hotel about 2:10am to see if they had checked in yet. I was told they hadn't. At this point, their rooms were gone, but there was no indication of that to me when I called. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt that they were confused, but that and the fact that I had confirmed two rooms earlier that day leads me to believe she was deliberately deceptive to them in order to not give them two room vouchers.

They are great friends and don't blame me at all, but I still feel horrible about it because they had originally planned to book airfare through the cruiseline flying in on Saturday. I recommended that they fly in the night before, especially since it was spring break, because I was worried about them missing the ship if there was a mess like there was over Christmas. There were about 40 passengers arriving late on Saturday, but they did hold the ship for them--not sure if they booked through Celebrity or not.

I don't know why this hotel still remains so popular when there are MUCH better properties in the area... we stayed there once, pre-cruise because some in our party did not want to pay over $100 a night - and you get what you pay for at the AmeriSuites, if that.

The shuttle service was a joke - we stood there waiting to get shuttled to the pier, and people kept coming out from breakfast and jumping to the front of the shuttle line - finally I walked out to 17th street and flagged down a couple of cabs. The check-in for this "motel" is ridiculously long - we booked two rooms, one for us and one for our children (specified children, very far in advance) and they put us on different floors and wouldn't switch them!

No bell person to help with luggage and a VERY slow elevator... do yourself a HUGE favor - if you are getting ready to get on a ship, and want to have a nice, relaxing pre-cruise, hassle-free stay.... pick another property, you won't be sorry! It's well worth the extra $$$ to stay somewhere nicer. We've stayed in FLL a dozen times and this was by far the worst.

Hi ekerr:) Nice to see you again.

I stayed there Friday, March 11th and everything was very nice. The room was CLEAN, Bathroom was CLEAN, Staff was HELPFUL, Shuttle was GOOD.:)

Yes, the lobby was crowded Sat morning with people eating the FREE breakfast but it didn't bother me. I had a bagel and a cup of coffee.

I took the first shuttle and I was the only one on it! It was about 10:15am and he drove me to the ship. Tipped him a buck and met some CC friends inside the pier too:D

Anyway, I know a lot of folks have had negative experiences but mine was positive and I would stay there again:) And it was 85.00 on Hotwire. (actually 72.00+taxes).

I guess we all have had different experiences. Where yours and Katies were unfortunetly not good, mine was very good.

We stayed at the Amerisuites on Feb. 27 with a group of 19 and had wonderful time!!!! Clean rooms, good breakfast, etc... my husband was thrilled with the free popcorn in the lobby!!!! And the shuttle service was great, both from the airport and to the cruiseport... We would definitely stay there again....

JMA :)

My sympathy for the horrible situation your friends experienced. And I feel badly for you because I know how it is nerve-wracking when one makes plans for others.

Twice we have had the same thing happen when we arrived around midnight--our guaranteed rooms were given away. Once I even called the hotel at 6 PM that day to remind them we would be arriving very late.

Our two hotels were a Holiday Inn and a Hampton Inn (not in Fort Lauderdale). Be persistent and ask for what you feel is adequate compensation. We did get some satisfaction on our two situations. Good luck.

Archived