Difference between Dream, Spirit and Destiny

Having sailed on the Dream in August and the Spirit in October, I can't believe the difference between the ships, the food was so much better on the Dream especially breakfast in the waiter service area. The bath and pool towels were large and fluffy and the choice of drinks was very limited.

I was really surprised at this as I expecting the same quality on all the Thomson ships, we are sailing on the Destiny in February and wondering what to expect, will we get the Spirit or Dream quality, can anyone advise?

Thomson ships have different charter arrangements onboard.

Dream and Celebration are bare boned charters and the whole business is run by Thomson.

Spirit and Destiny are chartered from Louis Cruises with Thomson branding.

So there are differences between the product offered although it is all basically the same.

I would say the Destiny experience will be more like the Spirit than the Dream although I have enjoyed both. You can get buffet and waiter service for breakfast in the MDR as well as the buffet. Destiny has small normal cabins and fixed dining. Her buffet is not the best either if the weather is bad but even so I like the ship and will be back aboard in January.

Judging by the number of 'views' and only one reply I guess I can expect the inferior standard of the Spirit when we go on the Destiny!!!

I know these are only small things but for breakfast on the Dream I had eggs benedict which came with smoked salmon whereas on the Spirit it came with round pre-formed ham. Before dinner I used to have Kir Royale as an aperitif - on the Spirit they have never heard of it!

Don't get me wrong we enjoyed our holiday as it was a lovely itinerary but I'm not sure we could go on the Spirit again. Am now wondering whether to cancel the Destiny trip unless I can get reassurance from other people that we will get a reasonable standard.

IE are the towels going to be small and thin when I get out of the shower?????

Just think of it as an adventure. I have been on Spirit,Dream,Island Escape and have enjoyed each and every one in different ways. Spirit is like home from home, Island Escape was casual and relaxing and the food was good, Dream had great entertainment and lovely big cabins. So lets see what Destiny has to offer. can't wait love the canary islands and have got an out side cabin for the very first time although we know the cabins are small. Stop worrying you're on holiday time to party:)

We have been looking at the Canary Island cruise on the Dream in a few weeks time. We went on the Destiny, same cruise, same month in 2007. We paid under £1100 for the 2 of us. The cruise on the Dream is over £1700 for both of us. All inclusive has gone up from £99 to £199 since then. Comparing, I realise that the Dream is a better ship, so price would be higher. I'm still telling myself that the price should be more like £1500 or less for 2 of us.

Have prices just gone silly? Seriously thinking about just taking a week in Tenerife or Fuerteventura instead. Not sure I can justify paying £1700 for a weeks holiday, although we did really enjoy it before.

We also went on the Topaz around 2002 just before it moved to Japan. We paid £818 All Inc for both of us for that trip, from Stansted though (which turned out to be a mistake, very bad weather down there that year caused us delays, despite no snow in Scotland!!). I won't compare with that price though!!

I'm not sure it's a high cost because of the ship - just depends on availability if there's not many cabins left the price goes up!!

We paid £1700 for the Adriatic Explorer on the Spirit in October but only £1400 for the Dream in August!

Dream was so much better

We don't both with AI as it doesn't seem to save any money - we usually keep some wine in the cabin to have a drink whilst getting ready for the evening, a drink at lunchtime, a drink in the bar/show lounge, wine with our meal but still only spend about £150 for drinks for the whole week

Still waiting to hear what the towels are like on the Destiny - nobody has replied to that question yet

Been on Dream, Destiny, Spirit and Celebration, sorry can't remember what the towels were like, but the Dream cabins were smaller and had less drawer space than the Spirit or clebration but not as small as the Destiny.

Food was great on all of them, I loved the Spirit and Celebration but didn't like the Destiny, more because of the fixed dining and rubbish Lido (the weather wasn't great) than anything else.

Go on your cruise but remember every ship has it's own ambience and you're on holiday so go with a positive state of mind and I'm sure you will enjoy.

Do you mean £150 on drinks for 2 adults? I'm thinking we could have wine in cabin as you say. Glass of wine with dinner, couple of cocktails after. During the day we'll be at sea. At £199, I think it would be hard to break even, but I also like the idea of not thinking about the cost of drinks while on board, and just having what we want. If I count up drinks we could probably spend almost that each, but then I'm not considering that some nights we won't be bothered about drinking either! And it might be nice to have a glass of wine ashore sometimes, and I wouldn't do that if we were AI.....decisions eh.

Not sure how availability is, we're just over 2 weeks away from when we want to go. It's showing as 2 cabins available, but that's just 2 insides, there are 5/6 outside, plus, 7 outside, 7/9 outside. I wonder also if once those 2 insides are sold maybe the outside will become the basic one, or will they put the base price up to suit. I wish I knew what they were about to do next!! :(

Been on Dream, Destiny, Spirit and Celebration, sorry can't remember what the towels were like, but the Dream cabins were smaller and had less drawer space than the Spirit or clebration but not as small as the Destiny.

Food was great on all of them, I loved the Spirit and Celebration but didn't like the Destiny, more because of the fixed dining and rubbish Lido (the weather wasn't great) than anything else.

Go on your cruise but remember every ship has it's own ambience and you're on holiday so go with a positive state of mind and I'm sure you will enjoy.

What is dining like on the Celebration? ,is it just show up when you want and sit anywhere? .

We have been looking at the Canary Island cruise on the Dream in a few weeks time. We went on the Destiny, same cruise, same month in 2007. We paid under £1100 for the 2 of us. The cruise on the Dream is over £1700 for both of us. All inclusive has gone up from £99 to £199 since then. Comparing, I realise that the Dream is a better ship, so price would be higher. I'm still telling myself that the price should be more like £1500 or less for 2 of us.

Have prices just gone silly? Seriously thinking about just taking a week in Tenerife or Fuerteventura instead. Not sure I can justify paying £1700 for a weeks holiday, although we did really enjoy it before.

We also went on the Topaz around 2002 just before it moved to Japan. We paid £818 All Inc for both of us for that trip, from Stansted though (which turned out to be a mistake, very bad weather down there that year caused us delays, despite no snow in Scotland!!). I won't compare with that price though!!

presently showing from £499 on cruisedeals

Just saw on another thread that cruisedeals do good prices if ready to book. Their site has it as £519, think the £499 is for 25th. I've sent an enquiry, hopefully they'll email me back tomorrow, or call me tomorrow night. £519 is based on Gatwick though, which is cheaper than Glasgow. Gatwick is £544 on Thomson's website, Glasgow is £625. Then there's the cabin upgrade to 5/6 outside plus, and AI. Takes us to £1760, which I think is a bit shocking. Let's see what they come back with. I'm now tempted to ditch the AI, it would only make us over-indulge and I don't want to gain any weight either, which will be hard enough with all the food on offer lol!

Still waiting to hear what the towels are like on the Destiny - nobody has replied to that question yet

We are going on Destiny for the fourth time over New Year. The towels are changed twice a day if you want and were big enough for me. I have not been on Dream so cannot compare their thickness. I always take my own flannels as they are not provided.

Carol x

What is dining like on the Celebration? ,is it just show up when you want and sit anywhere? .

Yes, it is open seating in the main dining room for all three meals. You tell the maitre d' how many of you there are and are shown to a table, you don't wander about looking yourself. You can request a table for two but may have to wait, whereas if you don't mind sharing you are taken to the table they are currently filling.

We didn't like this system as much as the fixed dining on Destiny. We preferred having the same waiters and companions each night. We also found when we sailed as a group of six, obviously requiring a whole table, we weren't very popular when we turned up on Celebration! We ended up being shown to a table that wasn't laid, sometimes with a dirty tablecloth from the people who had just left and with the cutlery brought out as each course arrived. On Destiny, with there being two separate sittings, the tables are all laid and ready when you arrive.

Carol x

Carol x

Just saw on another thread that cruisedeals do good prices if ready to book. Their site has it as £519, think the £499 is for 25th. I've sent an enquiry, hopefully they'll email me back tomorrow, or call me tomorrow night. £519 is based on Gatwick though, which is cheaper than Glasgow. Gatwick is £544 on Thomson's website, Glasgow is £625. Then there's the cabin upgrade to 5/6 outside plus, and AI. Takes us to £1760, which I think is a bit shocking. Let's see what they come back with. I'm now tempted to ditch the AI, it would only make us over-indulge and I don't want to gain any weight either, which will be hard enough with all the food on offer lol!

another way

cruise only 25th £343 (5/6 outside plus), glasgow flights £237 = £580 pp

The MDR is open seating so you turn up when you want and you will be shown to a table. It can be possible to have the same waiters each night, especially if you arrive at the same time each evening. Just ask if you can sit at so and so's tabel and you will probably be OK.

Do you mean £150 on drinks for 2 adults? I'm thinking we could have wine in cabin as you say. Glass of wine with dinner, couple of cocktails after. During the day we'll be at sea. At £199, I think it would be hard to break even, but I also like the idea of not thinking about the cost of drinks while on board, and just having what we want. If I count up drinks we could probably spend almost that each, but then I'm not considering that some nights we won't be bothered about drinking either! And it might be nice to have a glass of wine ashore sometimes, and I wouldn't do that if we were AI.....decisions eh.

Not sure how availability is, we're just over 2 weeks away from when we want to go. It's showing as 2 cabins available, but that's just 2 insides, there are 5/6 outside, plus, 7 outside, 7/9 outside. I wonder also if once those 2 insides are sold maybe the outside will become the basic one, or will they put the base price up to suit. I wish I knew what they were about to do next!! :(

The £150 was for 2 people and we like a drink and not ones for worrying about the cost!!! I usually had the cocktail of the day whilst waiting for show to start which was £3.40. If you look through this forum I'm sure you will find a price list. What put us off was asking for a glass of wine with our dinner (we like to have a bottle cost £13.50 I think and they save it for you for the next day if there's some over). There is also supplements for AI not all free!!

As you say when you get off the boat as we did every day you buy a drink/coffee ashore.

When we stayed on the Dream we had deck 7 outside plus it was very spacious with a bath. Our sons had standard outside which I think was even better it had no bath but the bathroom seemed bigger, both had sitting area, also you can have the beds made up to a double.

we usually don't do all inclusive and our bill for 2 of us for a week is usually about £200 we are average drinkers but the couple we go with drink more and we just used to take it in turn with the cards. this time we got the all inclusive for £98 for the two of us on a deal thats why we booked when we did. As for towels on the dream ours were a little thinner so we asked michael our steward for some fluffy ones like our friends had and thats what we got. the staff on thomson ships will always go the extra mile for you especially if you are nice about it. my countdown is now under a 100 days so now can get excited officially!!!

Judging by the number of 'views' and only one reply I guess I can expect the inferior standard of the Spirit when we go on the Destiny!!!

I know these are only small things but for breakfast on the Dream I had eggs benedict which came with smoked salmon whereas on the Spirit it came with round pre-formed ham. Before dinner I used to have Kir Royale as an aperitif - on the Spirit they have never heard of it!

Don't get me wrong we enjoyed our holiday as it was a lovely itinerary but I'm not sure we could go on the Spirit again. Am now wondering whether to cancel the Destiny trip unless I can get reassurance from other people that we will get a reasonable standard.

IE are the towels going to be small and thin when I get out of the shower?????

My wife loves eggs benedict and also had them on the Spirit, we were on Destiny last November and they are served in Seven Seas restaurant but we didnt realise this until a few days before end of the cruise. She is upstairs just now 'trying on outfits':confused: for our cruise on the Dream in a couple of weeks and is delighted to know she can have her favourite breakfast again:)

The restaurant is very nice but the Lido restauarant was far too windy.

My wife loves eggs benedict and also had them on the Spirit, we were on Destiny last November and they are served in Seven Seas restaurant but we didnt realise this until a few days before end of the cruise. She is upstairs just now 'trying on outfits':confused: for our cruise on the Dream in a couple of weeks and is delighted to know she can have her favourite breakfast again:)

Were the eggs benedict served with smoked salmon or ham on the Destiny???

Enjoy your cruise on the Dream you will love it, let me know what you think of the difference between the ships

Also if you are doing the Colourful Coasts can you let me know the places you think are worth visiting as we are doing this cruise in Feb

Archived