New to RCl, Loads of question

schecter

Hi Guys,

My Fiance and I are going on RCL next year for our honeymoon:D I just have a couple questions ( for starters)

1. We chose My Time Dining, How much is the gratuity per day per person with the increase from the 1st of July? We're going to Prepay it.

2. What's the easiest way to get from Orlando Airport to Port Canaveral? We're staying one night before the cruise but not sure if it's easier to stay in an airport hotel the night before or Orlando it's self so any suggestions are good :)

Thanks,

schecter

We like to rent a car the day we land and spend the night in Port Canaveral or Cocoa Beach. Rental cars in Orlando are plentiful and cheap. Orlando to Cape Canaveral is a popular one way rental and most of the rental companies run shuttles from the drop off location to the cruise pier. This also gives you the convenience of having your own transportation during your pre-cruise stay. So, if you are comfortable driving on the right side of the road, that would be my recommendation.

There are also several shuttle companies that service the area. You can find tons of information and recommendations on the Florida Departures board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Depending on when you land the day before, the rental car can be a good option. You could explore the Orlando sights, such as Downtown Disney, then head to the port the next day. The suggestion to stay in Cocoa Beach is also a good idea. Just depends on your preference. But, I agree that the one way car rental usually works out to be a good deal economically.

We have done this cruise several times (because we love it so much) We always take a shuttle (but you can rent a car) we have used Cocoa Beach shuttle (they are the least expensive) just check their website. www.cbshuttle.com and mention cruise critic for a 10% discount. We always tell them that we want picked up at the airport on Saturday dropped at our hotel (usually Comfort Inn and Suites, although this year we did 4 Points by Sheraton) picked up on Sunday at 10:30 and dropped at the pier (I know the hotels run free shuttles but you will wait in line) and picked back up the next Sunday and taken to the airport. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

our room (junior suite) for 3 people it was $110

2011FamilyCruise039.jpg[/img]

The outside of the hotel. Right across the street from Ron Jons Surf Shop (it is open 24 hours a day) and one block from the beach

FamilyCruise2011005.jpg[/img]

FamilyCruise2011010.jpg[/img]

In the Sheraton gift shop they have a tank that has several sharks and lots of beautiful fish. We could see it from our room.

2011FamilyCruise049.jpg[/img]

http://2011FamilyCruise039.jpg

Renting a car in Orlando and driving to Cape Canaveral is very, very easy. Just a couple of turns out of the airport, and you're on the toll road ... it's about a 45 minute drive. One tip about renting a car at the airport is to make sure you join the rental car company's loyalty program. I don't remember what rental we used but as we approached, we saw this huge long line. It would have taken over an hour and maybe even 2 hours to get the car. I walked to the front of the line and asked if "members" had to stand in line. The agent told us to walk across the street, hand our confirmation to the person in the booth and that our car was ready for us. It took all of 5 minutes. If you're tired and are flying all night, staying at an airport hotel is probably a good idea.

If you check the Florida departure board (and here's the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495), you can get specific information about reliable shuttles, hotels, etc. To check hotels, go to http://www.tripadvisor.com To see where the Cape Canaveral hotels are located in relation to the cruise port, go to: http://hotelsbythepier.com

Best wishes for a fabulous trip and happy honeymoon.

Archived