Using Cell Phones on Ship

However, we are apparently in the minority with our "tired old posting" .

CXR, I agree 100%!!! Perhaps if people sent more time watching their children instead of checking in on them while both parents are working or on vacation, we would not be seeing some many troubled children today! But that is the topic for another post/ board. Just my opinion, not passing judgement.

Can I get an AMEN!!!! It's nice to know that there are more of us out there who realize some things are out of our control, whether we have a cell phone or not on a cruise. There is nothing I can do about anything thousands of miles away from home!

I don't have kids but I still take my cell phone with me on my cruise. Why?

Because my plane might get delayed or have problems on the way there. If I have my phone, I can easily call the cruise line's day of cruise number and find out if I'll still make the ship.

Because I got hurt on my second cruise and had to call home 2x using the ship's phone and it cost way too much. I had my cell phone but it wasn't charged so I couldn't use it.

Because on the way home from my 2nd cruise, another cruise ship had an explosion that was all over the news and I needed to be able to reassure my family that that wasn't my ship (it was the one next to ours).

Because on the way home from my 3rd cruise, I missed my flight and needed to be able to let my ride know that I wouldn't be arriving when I said I would. If I hadn't had my cell phone, my ride would have been waiting at the airport for 12 hours.

Yes, I tell my family the cruiseline's emergency numbers to use if there is in fact an emergency instead of calling me on my cellphone.

If at all possible, my cell phone stays in my cabin. But it is there if I need to use it. If I bring it out of the cabin, it is turned to silent so as not to disturb other passengers.

And yes on my last cruise, I used my cell phone to call home and brag about where I was (Old San Juan). It was my birthday and I had the right to do what I wanted to.

Just off the NCL Star and the Mexican Riviera and my cell worked great thank goodness. We sailed Friday evening and called to say bye and found out my husband (dialysis patient and doesn't cruise) had been admitted to the ER. Needless to say I called later to check on him (from the cabin) and he was admitted to the hospital. It was great peace of mind that I could call and check on him without breaking the bank (did so from the room only - keep the phone in the room - don't carry it with me on the ship) So all I can say to those who say leave it at home I for one am glad I didn't - there are some of us who at times need to stay in touch. Thanks NCL and AT&T

Just a little info for you all, I wanted to post last week but never had a chance to. About cell phones working in different places -- the problem is not the carrier (Cingular, Verizon, ATT or Nortel ) but more your phone. There are 4 different bands that cell phones use world wide 850mghz, 900mgh, 1800mgh & 1900mgh, most phones sold in the US are dual band 900 & 1800 but when you travel to some of the Caribbean islands they use the other (Belze 850, St. Martin 1900, European countries 850 or 1900). I do a lot of traveling in Europe plus our many cruises so I have purchased a Quad Band world phone. Since I have had this phone I have not had problems connecting from anywhere in the world as long as the country has cell phone towers. Yes you do have to pay a little for roaming and such but it is still cheaper than call from the cabin or a hotel room.

Bob 16_6_13.gif

Just got back from Radiance cruise from San Diego to Vancouver via San Francisco, Astoria, and Victoria. I was amazed that my Verizon (Motorola V265), worked almost anywhere along the way. I noticed that far from cities it reverted from digital to analog, but if I was on the top outside deck, I could usually get a signal. Not all phones are still capable of going to analog, so if you travel to rural areas, it's a good idea to have that capability. On the other hand the all-GSM phones are better when cruising to foreign ports.

Archived