Katakolon without Olympia

Paul&Kathy

We are wondering what to do in Katakolon for a day in November, so probably not beach weather. DH has a mobility scooter and I don't think we will be able to do Olympia. Is there anything worth seeing at the nearly town/city of Pyrgos ? We are happy to wander around shops and explore in general and would like a few hours off the ship as we have a lot of sea days to come on this trip. Any ideas ? Thanks

We are wondering what to do in Katakolon for a day in November, so probably not beach weather. DH has a mobility scooter and I don't think we will be able to do Olympia. Is there anything worth seeing at the nearly town/city of Pyrgos ? We are happy to wander around shops and explore in general and would like a few hours off the ship as we have a lot of sea days to come on this trip. Any ideas ? Thanks

We had a wonderful day in Katakolon and Olympia with George Letsios. He has a beautiful, full size Mercedes sedan. He showed us all around and took us to a great place for lunch. We enjoyed our time with him very much!

Here is his contact information:

GEORGE LETSIOS

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/taxikatakolon

Mobile Phone: +30-6944579917

Websites: www.taxikatakolon.com , www.taxikatakolon.gr

E-mails: georgetaxitours@gmail.com , george@taxikatakolon.gr

Home Address: Varvasena-Ilia-Greece

Enjoy!

Uh, isn't Pyrgos on the island of Santorini ??? There's really not much to do at Katakolon if you're not going to Olympia. THe ship docks alongside the dock---and that's basically all there is except for a few stores....

Uh, isn't Pyrgos on the island of Santorini ??? There's really not much to do at Katakolon if you're not going to Olympia. THe ship docks alongside the dock---and that's basically all there is except for a few stores....

According to Wikipedia...

Yes there is a village on the island of Santorini with the same name.

Apparently there are many "Pyrgos" in the Mediterranean:

• Myrtos Pyrgos, Minoan archaeological site near Myrtos, Crete
  • Pyrgos Dirou, a village in Laconia, municipality of Oitylo, Laconia prefecture
  • Pyrgos Kallistis, a village in the island of Santorini
  • Pyrgos, Corinthia, a mountain village in the municipality of Evrostini, Corinthia prefecture
  • Pyrgos, Elis, the capital of Elis prefecture
  • Tylissos, a town and Minoan archaeological site in the Heraklion prefecture, Crete
  • A village named Pyrgos in the municipality of Asterousia, Heraklion prefecture, Crete

I think the Pyrgos that the OP referred to is Pyrgos, Elis:

Pyrgos has a train station with regular trains between Katakolon and Olympia, as well as other cities in Peloponese. It also has a bus terminal with regular buses to some of the villages in Ilias as well as to larger cities such as Patras, Ioannina, Athens and Thessaloniki.

Thanks, everyone, it was the Pyrgos between Katakolon and Olympia that I meant, we might take a bus or train there just for something to do as Olympia is definitely out for us, thanks for telling me it is Pyrgos, Elis, I will do some more research.

We just returned from our cruise with a stop in Katakolon, where we have been before. In November, you might not hang out at the beach, but there is a nice restaurant above the beach mit typical food and lovely view between Katalolon and Pyrgos. Pyrgos is not really interessting, we drove through, looking for a place to buy some fruit. Olympia isself might be difficult with a scooter, but both museums would be easy to visit and you can have a look at the sight. (I experienced it with a stroller) I would even think you could visit most of the sight with a scooter.

There is a castle ( Chlemoutsi ) which is said to be worth vistiting, but we did not do it because it was closed on Mondays. Probably that is an idea for you?

Most cruise ships stop at Katakolon only for four or five hours, just the time needed for shore excursions to Olympia. November really isn't the best month to do much of anything in the Med but if you don't want to go to Olympia, why not spend a relaxing couple hours at Katakolon itself. There are dozens of shops, coffee bars and restaurants, a couple small grocery stores and a pastry shop/bakery as well as a duty free. These places open only when there is a cruise ship docked and the port is a three or four minute walk to the town. I've been there countless times and usually have a quiet breakfast on the ship and then hit the town for a couple hours before returning in time for lunch. In the summer there's even a scruffy beach with sun beds just west of the port. Most of the passengers will be on the Olympia excursions.

• 1 month later...

So we are now home and thought I would post our experience in case it helps anyone else. Capricruiser is spot on, there is far more at Katakolon than we had been led to expect. There are a lot of shops and cafes and all were open (naturally due to the ship's arrival). We set off somewhat ambitiously towards the 'best beach' of the area at Agios Andreas. Surprisingly we made it, although the beach was nothing spectacular and nothing was open there, it was a truly beautiful walk about 2 miles each way through peaceful quiet countryside edged by orange, lemon and olive trees. A sunny November day was perfect but it might have been too much in the summer. One elderly lady saw us admiring her garden and present us with a freshly picked orange, which was amazingly sweet. We walked back a slightly differerent route along Katakolon beach itself, which is compressed enough to take the scooter without getting stuck in the sand as the locals, bizzarely, drive their cars along it. Nice sandy beach but covered in washed up seaweed and large jellyfish, some the size of dinner plates, not somewhere I would want to swim even if it was warm enough. But there IS plenty there to occupy a day without going to Olympia, for anyone who finds themselves in our position. Oh, and the train was running - our tablemates took it to and from Olympia and found it very easy and reported a lovely day.

We are planning on doing the same as you, and just walking around Katakolon. Our cruise is very port intensive and we wanted to add one

" we don't have to do anything but stroll around day" .

Glad to know I made the right choice in picking this port to do just that! It sounds like it will be a nice day spent mostly hanging out in a cafe.

The beach is pretty flat you might be able to for a short ride it is fun to see the small fishing boats pulled up on the beach. ON the way back to the ship there is A great out doors bar , with good greek beer 1 euro for 1 liter . By the way the reason there is not much to do is because the town was hit by an earthquake and destroyed.

• 4 months later...

Bobalink, thanks for your posting. We'll be in Katakolon in September and having read your posting we contacted George Letsios by e-mail and have booked his Mercedes for a four and a half hour trip to Olympia, the museum, village and beach. A very friendly and informative reply when I wrote to him which has really increased our anticipation of the day in the port. Thanks again for the info. By the way, George himself is as the e-mail states "facing a very serious health problem" and will not be doing any driving, but he himself is vetting all bookings and itinerary's and ensuring that we have an English speaking driver.

Archived