loosing sleep and ready to sell my boarding pass

cruisenotbooze

Hate to say this, but just because the child is with grandparents (who managed to raise at least one child) doesn't mean much, really.

My DD has been asthmatic since she was an infant. When her father and I separated, I moved back to the area where my parents were from and living since they'd retired. My parents were aware that she was asthmatic. Being older, and having an indoor cat, the house wasn't as clean as it could be.

I left DD with them one evening when I had an evening exam (I was putting myself through college as a single parent while working 30 hours a week). I got to the house to pick her up and her nailbeds were blue and she was wheezing badly.

Had she used her inhaler? Nope. My mother didn't even seem to realize she was in distress.

That's the thing with asthma that always scares me - people don't seem to realize that you're in trouble until you pass out from lack of oxygen. :eek:

Anyway, I got upset, had her use her inhaler, got her out of the house immediately, and she was fine within minutes.

I think as long as the grandparents are informed and if they know how to recognize symptoms, things should be fine. That is sort of a big "if" though.

A few things I have learned about how to deal with separation anxiety while DH and I take a trip without the kids:

1. I always feel better after we head out. I worry, worry, worry and then once we get down the road a bit or our flight takes off I feel much better. And we feel MUCH better once we get on the ship.

2. Establish a back up for the Grandparents. My parents are completely capable of taking care of my kids but they come from out of state to stay so aren't completely familiar with our community. I always have a friend that they can contact if they need help or have questions.

3. They can contact you and as long as you have a passport you can fly home from almost anywhere.

4. And this one has really helped. DON'T call home late at night. Everyone is tired and emotions can quickly escalate and then you or your child won't sleep well. Call in the morning and after school.

To the OP - sorry for the posts that have been upsetting to you. There can be so much of that & it is one of the unpleasant things that can come with all the good advice & comradery on this board.

It is frightening when your child has newly diagnosed asthma. I know, my son developed it suddenly as a toddler & I've had it my whole life. Even grandparents who take great care of your kids need time to learn what to watch for & what to do. Others seem to have found a mention of how much time before your cruise - if it's there I've missed it. But it's reasonable to be concerned because asthma is different, a flare up can come out of the blue even in well controlled cases.

When I cruise, I have my cell phone on (it is set so no data charges will happen) and people who may need to get in touch with me for an emergency have the cell # and also a way to call the ship if cell reception wasn't good. But there have been times when the cell signal has not been good & I didn't receive texts in a timely way & the ships internet is not always able to get a signal.

I hope if you are able to go on the cruise you have a good time. The cruise ship will not be like all the strong personalities on this forum! Nothing like it. Really. There is no reason to think you won't enjoy it or fit in.

This is the last post because I am done giving attention to the posters on here who obviously are seeking it.

1. YES, I really am a Dr. I didn’t advertise that, someone outted me. Only reason she knew is because she spent several days on another post talking about how my posts make her sick (because I used an abbreviation she was unfamiliar with=NE1=anyone. what’s so hard about that?) so I did tell her I was not stupid and I was a Dr. dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. So now, every post is going to be judged based on the fact that I am a strong intelligent woman, but my posts may not be 'perfect' enough.

2. No, I didn’t ask for medical advice at all. Go back and read. I was addressing my anxiety about leaving my children. Sorry it did not come out perfectly

3. I shouldn’t have to defend this but- Grandpa is 65 years old. Smokes OUTSIDE in his WORKSHOP a cigar every once in a while. So you were WRONG in your assumptions there as well. I was concerned because as a Dr., I understand that smoke is still carried on clothes, and is a major asthma trigger. But so are seasonal allergies. I plan to use preventative meds.

4. I am not RICH. And yes, price is always a concern for me. I donate to charities and volunteer my time as well. I didn't become a Dr. to get rich. That is a myth. I am a pediatrician. Any idea what a pediatrician makes in comparison to - lets say- a surgeon?

5. I get the felling that for some of you, cruising is your life. My life is supposed to be to serve God, and serve others as a reflection of his love. I don’t think I fit in here, and I don’t think I have done a great job of any of the above. I have let people (who I don’t even know!) get the better of me and make me angry, when I will never see any of you! It was never my goal to come here and be put down, treated like an idiot and insulted for no good reason. Yes, for some of you, cruising is your life. Not me, I have never even gone, and I have a feeling I won’t fit in on any ship either.

Cruising is not for me. Enjoy, and happy sailing.

Sorry to say but welcome to a normal day at Cruise Critic. There are many helpful people here but you also have your mean and ugly people. Just have to ignore those who are rude and mean and look for the ones that are really helpful.

Go and have a wonderful cruise. If something should happen, god forbid, they can contact you. Relax.....

i cant sleep! my son (8yrs) got very ill this past week. he just got dx with asthma, and its been rough!!! after 8 days, his lungs are sounding a lot better today and i expect him to be in school on monday.

so... as a result, i am no longer seeing myself soaking up the sun and having a grand ole time with hubby, I am seeing my child sick and no one can get in touch with me, or they get in touch with me and theres nothing i can do, or the g-parents dont even realize how sick he is and dont even bother to try to get in touch with me. im really freaking out!!!

i dont know if i am going.

when i booked.. i did not really think about my two kids not being able to contact me. i feel like a bad mom. cant really take them because its a family (my DH's) reunion trip and NO ONE else will take the kids. i dont want to be the rude one. if its kids free they want, i will comply.

PARENTS: what has been your experience with leaving the kids behind, how did you handle this? were you as freaked out about being so far away as i am?

any tips on how to make this a little less stressful? please? lol

I would make sure that you have a notarized medical letter giving the grand parents permission to have your son treated if needed. In that letter, I would also state that he has just been diagnosed with asthma.

You may also want to send a letter or notify your sons school that you will be out of the country, and explain the concerns you have reguarding your sons condition.

You can also ask crew members where they go to access internet in ports. They will know where it is inexpensive and you can keep in touch that way. You may also be able to use your phone in ports... there may be big roaming charges though.

99 cents is a trial on some ships, varys by ship as above, but its just a test, so no you cant count on that price to call home. You can usually call home from ports from internet cafes for about 40 cents a minute.

You can call from your cell phone $.50 a minute or text for $.25 in and $.50 out. Make it a long text if you want. Put international calling on your phone for one month. You can call right on the ship anytime you want. People on their cell phones constantly. I personally call home every day just to say hi and check on my pets. Kids are older now but still call them every other day. It just makes you feel better that they can get a hold of you at any time:) I even sent pics to kids. They loved it:). Hope this helps. Check with your cell phone co. I have at & t.

This is the last post because I am done giving attention to the posters on here who obviously are seeking it.

Cruising is not for me. Enjoy, and happy sailing.

I think that once you have experienced the relaxation and soothing sounds of the sea on your cruise, you will amend your thinking to "Cruising on Cruise Critic is not for me" . :rolleyes::rolleyes: "Illigetimi non carborundum":D:D Silver

We've never gone on a cruise without our kids, so I can't help with advise on that. I understand the asthma scare though and I can help there. My daughter was diagnosed with asthma at 18 months and spent 6 days in the hospital. It was the most terrifying week of my life. After that, she was never hospitalized again. Once you know they have asthma, you can prevent a serious attack. Explain to the grandparents what to look for, the doctors can help you with that, and tell them what they need to do. When in doubt, treat it. I was always hesitant to give my daughter the steroids, but every time I did and took her to the doctor the next day, she told me it was a good thing I have given her the steroids.

She's now 14 and has not had an asthma attack for years. Have a good time.

Archived