Best Place in Kona to get 100% Kona Coffee?

EviesCruisin

Youre welcome and thanks for the feedback. I think Spleen and I like to help most when we know it is appreciated!

P.S. Youre 1100 mile drive is like why I would drive all the way to NYC to see Broadway shows instead of the ones on tour in my city. (of course, not from here anymore) You get spoiled by it and your senses just cant accept anything inferior!

I always tell people you can tell someone who's been in the military. Put them at the top of some stairs with a full cup of coffee and shove them down the stairs. If they hit bottom without spilling a drop, they've been in the military. If they drink that sucker going down, they were lifers.

Dog gone you people, now I'm craving a cup of Kona.

This killed me. Thanks for the laugh. ROFL!

Spleen

Thanks for all the feedback, my what a healthy debate I've inspired. Definitely helps to know not to get the cheap stuff in the discount stores like Hilo Hattie - us being honeymooners I'm sure we'd be looking for a good deal. But to know that all 100% Konas are not created equal is a great tip to help us avoid being disappointed. That's great you can sample it beforehand at many stores. I'm all for a nice smooth coffee, so I bet Kona is right up my alley!

Gosh, what a pleasant surprise this thread is another oppurtunity to disagree with dsclark. Gosh, I never realized there were so many things at which you are an expert, and the way you tolerate other's points of view has always amazed me. dsclark is the true final word on any and all topics relating to food or drink, if you don't believe me, just ask him or better yet have a different opinion. :D ;)

Suebee you and Spleen are two of the absolute best resources in the entire CC forum world. I appreciate you folks more than you could ever imagine. Thank you for all of the help you have offered and given! :)

jc

You sure do enjoy creating conflict JC. They guy just posted noting his knowledge on Coffee. What are you disagreeing with? His knowledge, or his right to post?

Gosh, what a pleasant surprise this thread is another oppurtunity to disagree with dsclark. Gosh, I never realized there were so many things at which you are an expert, and the way you tolerate other's points of view has always amazed me. dsclark is the true final word on any and all topics relating to food or drink, if you don't believe me, just ask him or better yet have a different opinion. :D ;)

Suebee you and Spleen are two of the absolute best resources in the entire CC forum world. I appreciate you folks more than you could ever imagine. Thank you for all of the help you have offered and given! :)

jc

Well, I don't know jc's motivations. However, it seemed to me that dsclark didn't post to give any feedback to the OP's questions. He (she?--sorry, but I'm not sure) posted to "teach" all of us who like truly good Kona coffee about why we are wrong. Let's see, a self-described coffee expert tells us why Kona isn't good, why it "can't" be dark roasted (nonsense!), why we should like other coffees better (because he says so and has some ratings to list). Please. I don't care to be lectured at and thrown "ratings" that I'm then supposed to accept as the be-all and end-all of coffeedom.

dsclark assumed (it seemed to me) that because I posted about my positive Kona coffee experiences that I must be a coffee neophyte or not have any idea what I'm talking about. The post stated quite plainly that he believes that anyone who says Kona is good must only buy pre-ground stale grocery store beans. (I shouldn't have had to defend my coffee knowledge, but I did.)

Was there really any need to lecture us on how and when to buy coffee beans; not to mention how and when to roast and brew them? Was that really productive to the thread? I don't believe it was. dsclark said that unless we have specialized coffee brewing equipment (which was, of course, described in detail), we should just buy the cheapest coffee because our equipment doesn't measure up to the "standard."

Anyway, I stand by my post asking dsclark to stop chastising and basically denigrating the opinions of those of us who actually enjoy Kona coffee.

And I completely agree with jc that Spleen, Suebee, and all the Hawaii locals are an invaluable source of information and advice. Mahalo to all!

Aloha (only 2 months to our next visit :D ).

beachchick

Much as I like a good debate, let's all agree that we've said what we need to say about this topic and move on. There's not much to gain at this point by beating this dead horse. It just annoys the horse. :D

Spleen

Much as I like a good debate, let's all agree that we've said what we need to say about this topic and move on. There's not much to gain at this point by beating this dead horse. It just annoys the horse. :D

Spleen

Spleen, I don't quit beating a dead horse until I see a dead horse whacking emoticon. So far, I haven't seen one.

Pireiras, are you tired of stalking Heather in florida, and now you are stalking me? You are really going to have your hands full with that plate of food. :p

Beachchick, thank you very much for such a well thought out posting. Dsclark has a great history of being a critic, and for providing non-educational opinions. :D

jc

Dearest JC.

Now this is amusing, particulatly given a few of your 'follow me' posts and 'roll eyes' posts of yours. Won't comment any further about the other poster you refer to in your note. Can't accept any blame there. She posted many many harsh notes on my threads, I follow her to one of hers and this is somehow unacceptable. Boo hoo! Don't tell me you are going to cry too! (Pass the hanky!!) Curious you would choose 'plate of food' as an analogy regarding your toughness. Perhaps I will email you a picture of the Steak Chromaise!

Pick your concluding sentence:

1. I doubt you are as tough nor as toxic as the meat on the Zuiderdam. You couldn't be that tough!

Or

2. To quote a good plate of food .. Stalking!? <"roll eyes!">

Pireiras, are you tired of stalking Heather in florida, and now you are stalking me? You are really going to have your hands full with that plate of food. :p

:D

jc

Hey, I found one.

deadhorse.gif

Now can we all move on from this thread? :)

Spleen

You are da man or da woman or both! spleen :D ;)

Thanks, I can officially move on.

P, you hang out here often? :rolleyes: Thanks for catching the intended pun.

jc

No not really. Have been to Hawaii a few times.. and do love the Kona coffee. The Gaggia (sp?) machine the OP has .. is a gem, though I don't have one.

You are sharper than the average bear.. I feel some of the posts between us have been lost on other eyes.. glad you catch them. Having fun, hope you are as well. Have a nice day...

You are da man or da woman or both! spleen :D ;)

Thanks, I can officially move on.

P, you hang out here often? :rolleyes: Thanks for catching the intended pun.

jc

No not really. Have been to Hawaii a few times.. and do love the Kona coffee. The Gaggia (sp?) machine the OP has .. is a gem, though I don't have one.

You are sharper than the average bear.. I feel some of the posts between us have been lost on other eyes.. glad you catch them. Having fun, hope you are as well. Have a nice day...

(This is beachchick)

Sorry, Spleen, to beat this dead horse, but I've just got to point out that the OP wasn't the one giving lectures on what coffee to buy and what machines to use to brew it. It was the self-described coffee expert who wanted to tell us all why we shouldn't think Kona coffee is so great.

The OP was asking for places to buy Kona coffee at a discount. My response is still that really good Kona coffee is going to cost $$. There's just no way around it, IMO.

beachchick

Hi all,

I almost hate to resurect this thread but I have to mention Greenwell Farms in Kona. We got 3 pounds of their Peaberry delivered to our house every month for years and it was the 2nd best cup of coffee I've ever had. You can also get a wonderful free tour of the plantation while you are there (you'll need a car to get there) and they show you how the different coffee's are "made". I was so upset the day my husband had to stp drinking caffeine as we had to cancel our coffee but believe it or not they actually make a drinkable decaf.

Hi all,

I almost hate to resurect this thread but I have to mention Greenwell Farms in Kona. We got 3 pounds of their Peaberry delivered to our house every month for years and it was the 2nd best cup of coffee I've ever had. You can also get a wonderful free tour of the plantation while you are there (you'll need a car to get there) and they show you how the different coffee's are "made". I was so upset the day my husband had to stp drinking caffeine as we had to cancel our coffee but believe it or not they actually make a drinkable decaf.

I don't consider that resurrection a bad thing. That was a good opinion on the initial topic and wasnt bashing.

And youre right....finding a good decaf is hard work! I like to make 1/2 and 1/2 myself.

Now how do I find a good espresso? Now that we have bought our (something like) 10th coffee maker in our married lives!

Archived