Free/almost free in Belize

crojemupeo

My fam of 6 (kids 16, 14, 13, 11) are cruising in 2 weeks. Belize is one of 4 stops (plus Cozumel, Cayman, Roatan). We will only be able to do one paid shore excursion during this entire 7-day cruise (these excursions add up when they are for 6!!). I have spent HOURS and HOURS (I think i will have put more time into researching excursion options than the entire amount of time we will be ON this cruise by the time we depart), I still have not decided what we are going to do.

So, I'm going to make a decision going backwards. For the port of Belize ONLY (I'll ask this same question in the boards for the other 3 ports), would you tell what you have done for FREE (besides the cost of a taxi ride maybe) or for almost no cost, that your family loved? Maybe if I find some great free/low cost ideas at each port, that are SAFE, it will help me decide which port I'll plan our excursion in.

thanks so much!

Jennifer

With kids that age the best things to do would be the cave tubing or zipline. Its going to cost a $$$$ small bundle. The tender ride into the city is your only free option.

If you go to Cozumel, check out Paradise Beach.:)

Of the ports you listed, this would be the one to spend money on an excursion in. There is no downtown shopping area that I'd feel safe bringing a family to. The nice beaches required a boat ride. This is also the only place in the world that has the type of cave tubing you'll find here, so I'd spend money and do that. It would be a great "once in a lifetime" experience for your family.

In Cozumel, you can walk and shop from the port. You can also visit beaches, but may have to take cabs.

Are you on a Carnival ship? If so, Mahogany Bay beach and shopping is an easy walk from the ship at Roatan .

I'm not as familiar with Grand Caymen, but I'd bet it's a safer and easier place to do on a budget with kids than Belize.

We have 5 kids in the same age range and have been to Belize a few times. There are absolutely no free or almost free options in Belize so I would spend the money in this port and use the other boards to find something free or almost free in the other ports, which is possible. The thing about Belize is, everything is far out (about an hour), not close enough to tourism village (where the tender will drop you off) so the transportation alone adds on to the cost.

We used Nacho and Cynthia (you can Google their names) for cave tubing in Belize and it was alittle bit less than the ship. This was probably our kids favorite tour in Belize.

We did Caye Caulker and it was just average in my kids' opinion. That would cost less than Cave Tubing but it is about a 50 minute water taxi ride one way to get there.

We had three kids with us last january and r going agin this jan.Here is what we did.

beleize-tender issue and could not disembark very sad but I did book cavetubing ziplining from cavetubing bz they do both in one day and provide lunch this is the cheapest route.

I hear great things about them.

Roatan- rented a car for 50.00 to go to west bay beach then took small snorkel trip to blue channel 5 min boat ride 15.00 pp great snorkel highly recommend .You cant get lost in the car they provide very good directions.Very hilly island great views.We had a 5 person car though might be more expensive for 6 people but transportaion to west bay is 20.00pp i cant remember if it was both ways or not.We wanted to see the island.

coz- rented a car and drove around whole Island did stop to tour ruins for 8.00 pp ,stopped at market downtown just to look,Went to Paradise beach for afternoon great fresh water pool the only one you will find for the week! 2.00 to rent chairs, not good snorkelling, optional wrist bands for 12.00 to use water toys and they like youto buy food there. really is nice.

Archived