HAL - one day delay - compensation...CCL - not so much

cprofits

This mega cruiser is not out the Bermuda excursion $$. I'm out the ability to have time to do it.

My kids have been on a million cruises and I'm not going to try to explain to you about how much family time we spend together. If you had children on cruises, you'd know they enjoy going to the kids activities every now and then.

I mentioned my cruising history to hopefully slow down some of the posts implying that I don't understand what is happening and what I'm entitled to.

I know I'm entitled to not pay for what I"m not getting. And that's what's happening. I'm not paying for something I'm not getting and that is not compensation.

The HAL coincidence is not exact but similar enough in that a ship is coming in one day late. The discrepancy in the way the two lines are handling it is glaring. Yes, HAL decided to turn around to disembark a passenger. It was their choice to do this and thus they are arriving late. The HAL cruisers are experiencing the same thing the CCL cruisers are experiencing...a cruise shortened by one day. Acting like it's apples and oranges is ludicrous. If you were on a cruise and you fell down the stairs and broke your leg would you be happy with only an I'm sorry from the cruiseline because your fall was caused by a weather related wave? What if you fell because the ship suddenly lurched due to a mechanical reason? You're leg is still broken, you're still affected...wouldn't you expect sympathy and a gesture of goodwill whether the weather or the engine caused your fall?

I'm sitting here wondering why I'm trying to explain with a silly analogy. No one is going to stop and think and be empathetic, they just want to spout platitudes and be bullies and imply I'm being outrageous.

This OP is funny really.

Their Roll Call is all OK the weather is messed up.

All being supportive and making suggestions to each other having a grand time online and at the hotels.

Giving tips and hints about what to do in place of kind of stuff.

So what's this one doing .. well I can't put what I would like too but I'm sure others know ;). SMH

WHERE DID YOU READ ABOUT CC and ARCADE BEING CLOSED FOR THE WEEK???

We've lost a day onboard, are losing a day in Bermuda, are losing an excursion

in Bermuda that can't be rebooked and Circle C and the arcade are closed for the duration

of my cruise. My kids are going to really enjoy that.

Why is the arcade and Circle C going to be closed for the duration of your cruise?

They are closed because of damage due to rough seas.

OP I think you are seeing the difference in HAL and Carnival. Carnival isnt as generous as other cruiselines, but the cruises cost less.

I do think they could have offered money toward a night in a hotel if they are leaving a day late. That would make sense to me. You can snail mail write them or email them when you are home, keep it short and to the point.

Just a thought but since you are being refunded the day you are missing take that money and go do something extra with your family. Find an excursion by the port...book a couples massage at the spa...you get the idea. You already have budgeted the money for vacation so go ahead and start your vacation.

Life is all about perspective!

I'm totally confused here ...where did you hear that the kids club and arcade are being closed for the week???? That makes no sense unless there was some type of damage to those areas? Next as far as compensation between the two lines ....would you be happy if Carnival charged you the same rate they charged the Hal passengers and gave you the same compensation? I have a feeling you would still lose quite a bit in that one!

I just sailed the Freedom and two of our ports were changed due to weather. I didn't care as I knew that booking this time of year could be risky. There are far worse things in life than to spend an extra day in Baltimore and have a shortened cruise. Sorry you don't see it that way.

Hahaha - no full refund needed. Just *something* for our bad situation. I know everyone loves to jump on anyone who has a problem, but this is a legitimate disappointment that has moderately affected our cruise...through no fault of our own, with just a sorry from CCL.

I guess I'll just move over to the Bermuda board and look at the things we won't have time to do now because no one is able to think about the true situation here and what the 11/6 Pride cruisers are losing with just an, 'I'm sorry.' They'd much rather spout, 'read your contract, get insurance...'

If you had saved, prepped and planned for months and the night before you're leaving you learn you've lost a day onboard, you've lost a day in Bermuda, you can't do your excursion and the kids club and arcade are closed, you may not be so quick to say to just deal with it. How dare you be disappointed and feel sorry for your trip. I know CCL didn't do this on purpose but it's still done and they should compensate with something...anything at this point would be a good gesture. An 'I'm sorry and oh by the way, we'll only charge you tips for 6 days instead of 7' is insulting.

We'll be joining you on the Pride. We're "just dealing with it" and feel that Carnival handled this appropriately. I'm sorry to hear that you disagree and are dissatisfied. Hopefully you make the most of your vacation- that's what we'll be doing :D

Wow...I was not aware Carnival controlled the weather. I have friends on the Pride right now and I am sorry you are missing a day of your vacation, but I would rather see my friends and all those on board return safely.

Stop worrying about the day you will miss and think about the fun you will have with the remaining 6.

The HAL coincidence is not exact but similar enough in that a ship is coming in one day late. The discrepancy in the way the two lines are handling it is glaring. Yes, HAL decided to turn around to disembark a passenger. It was their choice to do this and thus they are arriving late. The HAL cruisers are experiencing the same thing the CCL cruisers are experiencing...a cruise shortened by one day. Acting like it's apples and oranges is ludicrous. If you were on a cruise and you fell down the stairs and broke your leg would you be happy with only an I'm sorry from the cruiseline because your fall was caused by a weather related wave? What if you fell because the ship suddenly lurched due to a mechanical reason? You're leg is still broken, you're still affected...wouldn't you expect sympathy and a gesture of goodwill whether the weather or the engine caused your fall?

This is where you are absolutely wrong - They are in NO way similar in that HAL CHOSE to turn around, thus making a decision to shorten their passengers cruise time - they CHOSE to do this so they had to compensate their passengers. Carnival had absolutely NO choice here...

Again, it was in HAL's control - NOT in Carnival's control... How can you NOT see the difference??? You type very intelligently, at least in the way that you speak, I don't understand why you can't grasp this concept...

I just read a post from another person on this cruise that in the email they got it stated that the kids club will still be doing activities, it will just be in another location. Your kids will still be able to partake in activities on the ship. Hopefully that will brighten your day a bit.

I just read a post from another person on this cruise that in the email they got it stated that the kids club will still be doing activities, it will just be in another location. Your kids will still be able to partake in activities on the ship. Hopefully that will brighten your day a bit.

Confirmed from CCL

Carnival Cruise Lines I didn't read the thread you are referring to but that information is correct; due to the rough weather Circle C and the Arcade were damaged and will be closed during the 11/7 (8) cruise. The good news is that Circle C activities will be conducted in an alternate location. - Mischelle

I know I'm entitled to not pay for what I"m not getting. And that's what's happening. I'm not paying for something I'm not getting and that is not compensation.

I know I am going to be blacklisted here on the Carnival board for agreeing with you that Carnival isn't doing enough.... Oh well.

Obviously Carnival won't compensate anywhere near as much as HAL is, but something would be better than nothing. I do agree that they are not "compensating" anything. Carnival is merely returning your money for the portion of your cruise that will not take place.

Carnival has come through in the past with compensation for weather related delays, I know of several occasions they have given OBC in Galveston for fog delays.

OP I think you are seeing the difference in HAL and Carnival. Carnival isnt as generous as other cruiselines, but the cruises cost less.

I do think they could have offered money toward a night in a hotel if they are leaving a day late. That would make sense to me. You can snail mail write them or email them when you are home, keep it short and to the point.

I think this would be a reasonable expectation for compensation.

This mega cruiser is not out the Bermuda excursion $$. I'm out the ability to have time to do it. Maybe you could still do it on one of the two days you are there.

My kids have been on a million cruises and I'm not going to try to explain to you about how much family time we spend together. If you had children on cruises, you'd know they enjoy going to the kids activities every now and then. I DO have children, and they DO enjoy going to the kids activities. However, IMHO, playing arcade games is just something petty to complain about.

I mentioned my cruising history to hopefully slow down some of the posts implying that I don't understand what is happening and what I'm entitled to. And that same logic is coming back to bite you - if you have cruised as many times as you say, then certainly you have experienced different issues and therefore, should understand that they HAD to slow down the ship due to bad weather in NOVEMBER.

I know I'm entitled to not pay for what I"m not getting. And that's what's happening. I'm not paying for something I'm not getting and that is not compensation. Exactly, it is not compensation based on the definition of the word 'compensation'. But I think what we are trying to figure out is why you believe you are entitled to any compensation?

The HAL coincidence (why do you say coincidence?) is not exact but similar enough in that a ship is coming in one day late. The discrepancy in the way the two lines are handling it is glaring. Yes, HAL decided to turn around to disembark a passenger. (Actually they had THREE ill passengers who needed to be airlifted off the ship.) It was their choice (more like an OBLIGATION) to do this and thus they are arriving late. The HAL cruisers are experiencing the same thing the CCL cruisers are experiencing...a cruise shortened by one day. Acting like it's apples and oranges is ludicrous. A medical emergency versus weather ... hmm, I see NOTHING similar here. If you were on a cruise and you fell down the stairs and broke your leg would you be happy with only an I'm sorry from the cruiseline because your fall was caused by a weather related wave? Where did this even come from? Did someone fall and break their leg on Carnival? What if you fell because the ship suddenly lurched due to a mechanical reason? You're leg is still broken, you're still affected...wouldn't you expect sympathy and a gesture of goodwill whether the weather or the engine caused your fall? You know what, unless and God Forbid, until, I am anywhere NEAR a situation like this, I am afraid I cannot answer. I can say that there would be a lot more factors involved before I could cross my arms and stomp my one foot (the other would be broken) and say "you owe me". I would guess, however, that if either of those incidents happened, I think I'd be safe in saying that I would not be the only person affected and then it would be a whole different ball game. But, again, this is one of those things that unless I'm in that situation, I cannot second guess it.

That being said, the situation at hand has nobody with broken legs, just frustration and that, IMHO, does not warrant compensation.

I'm sitting here wondering why I'm trying to explain with a silly analogy. No one is going to stop and think and be empathetic, they just want to spout platitudes and be bullies and imply I'm being outrageous.

Nobody is bullying you. I think we all 'get' that you are frustrated and we're sorry that your 7-day cruise turned into 6. We get it, at least I do. It just gets tiring getting on CC all the time and all anyone has to say is "boo hoo for me, gimme, gimme, gimme, I'm entitled." At least, that's my take on it.

And honestly, I'd be frustrated/upset if my cruise gets changed in any way, but I don't see myself coming on here and getting all worked up and asking for what I think I'm entitled to. That's all.

I hope, and I truly do, that you can find a way to enjoy the cruise that you are going to be leaving on .... because I will be going to work Monday and that my friend, truly does suck.:D

Nobody is bullying you. I think we all 'get' that you are frustrated and we're sorry that your 7-day cruise turned into 6. We get it, at least I do. It just gets tiring getting on CC all the time and all anyone has to say is "boo hoo for me, gimme, gimme, gimme, I'm entitled." At least, that's my take on it.

And honestly, I'd be frustrated/upset if my cruise gets changed in any way, but I don't see myself coming on here and getting all worked up and asking for what I think I'm entitled to. That's all.

I hope, and I truly do, that you can find a way to enjoy the cruise that you are going to be leaving on .... because I will be going to work Monday and that my friend, truly does suck.:D

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Is the HAL's $150 compensation to the current pax who are still on the ship or to the next batch of pax who will miss one day of their cruise? I think the pax who are on the ship may be more negatively impacted especially if they have flights booked so the compensation makes sense.

Does Carnival give out monetary compensation to the ones who are currently on the ship? I hope at least airline change fees?

Either way, I also wonder why Pride cannot stay in Bermuda a little longer? Even if it leaves Friday morning instead of Thursday afternoon it will make a big difference to those who may want to do more excursions on Thursday.

That being said, while I don't think Carnival is being overly generous, I don't think Carnival is being unreasonable either. It's a budget line after all.

Is the HAL's $150 compensation to the current pax who are still on the ship or to the next batch of pax who will miss one day of their cruise? I think the pax who are on the ship may be more negatively impacted especially if they have flights booked so the compensation makes sense.

Does Carnival give out monetary compensation to the ones who are currently on the ship? I hope at least airline change fees?

Either way, I also wonder why Pride cannot stay in Bermuda a little longer? Even if it leaves Friday morning instead of Thursday afternoon it will make a big difference to those who may want to do more excursions on Thursday.

That being said, while I don't think Carnival is being overly generous, I don't think Carnival is being unreasonable either. It's a budget line after all.

I do not know, but it may be that the Pride cannot stay an extra day if there are other ships scheduled to be there. Hard telling.

Well, I feel for ya OP. I'd be disappointed if I was losing a day on my cruise. I would also be very upset if the kids clubs were closed. My kids look forward to those clubs and it's a huge part of why we cruise. Maybe they'll have club activities elsewhere, or hook up with the other clubs.

Hope it all works out for you.

We were scheduled to depart tomorrow on the Pride. Our cruise is being shortened by a day with no compensation due to weather delays.

Coincidentally enough, HAL is experiencing a similar situation right now and look how they're handling it. $150 pp OBC, 25% off a future booking, complimentary hotels, shoreside meal credits, etc.:

HAL official re Oosterdam delay to Sunday Nov 6 Highlights of Email to agents from HAL

--------------------------------------

For local guests who are not flying into San Diego

To show our appreciation for delaying your clients' arrival until Sunday, they will receive as a goodwill gesture a $150.00 per person Onboard Credit for the first and second guests in each stateroom, as well as a $75.00 credit for the third and fourth stateroom guests.

For guests who are flying into San Diego

If your clients are flying into San Diego and are able to change their flight to arrive on Sunday, we will reimburse for air change fees up to $100 per person. We will also provide a $150.00 per person Onboard Credit as a goodwill gesture.

If your clients cannot change their flights and are arriving on Saturday, we have arranged for a limited number of complimentary hotel rooms in San Diego as well as complimentary shuttle service to the pier on Sunday morning from the hotel. They will also receive a $75.00 per person Onboard Credit to help offset their shoreside meal expenses on Saturday and Sunday morning. If your clients will need hotel accommodations, please contact us as soon as possible at 1-800-577-1728 or 206-626-7395.

Please note that all Onboard Credits can be redeemed to cash at the end of the voyage if not used.

As an additional token of our apologies for this situation, each guest on this sailing will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 25% of the base cruise fare paid for the 7-day Mexican Riviera sailing that was originally scheduled to begin on November 5, 2011. Please see the attached Terms and Conditions for full details of our Future Cruise Credit program.

--------------------

Did I see you in the Lobby of La Quinta last night?

Melanie

I know exactly how you feel. I booked this very same cruise because the ship would be in Bermuda starting on Tuesday @ noon & would not leave until Thursday @ about 3.

Now it will arrive on Wednesday @ 1 - my tour was supposed to start at 9:30. No I can't reschedule it because of daylight savings time (& the time that it takes to clear customs) So we might as well just have 1/2 day in port. Unlike many other ports of call, people choose this one because of the extended stay. Because the Pride docks in the dock yards, it isn't close enough to be feasible to just wander (Especially when you don't have a full day) aka "plan something else last minute."

As an aside, those who are stuck on the ship for an extra day - are they being prorated from a 7 to an 8 day cruise?

You are joking right?? No, they dont give you extra if you cant get off the ship on time.

I was on conquest when Ike hit Galveston, and we docked in New Orleans a day late. We did get a free phone call to call to get a rental car (not only a day late, but remember our cars were parked in Galveston), .. to those flying they had to change flights. The phone call required standing in line over 2 hours and we missed the show etc..the line was forever. They said only 5 lines out on the ship. The line for a computer in the internet cafe was equally crazy. No internet discount either.

The only people carnival helped were those who booked their air fare thru carnival.

I know exactly how you feel. I booked this very same cruise because the ship would be in Bermuda starting on Tuesday @ noon & would not leave until Thursday @ about 3.

Now it will arrive on Wednesday @ 1 - my tour was supposed to start at 9:30. No I can't reschedule it because of daylight savings time (& the time that it takes to clear customs) So we might as well just have 1/2 day in port. Unlike many other ports of call, people choose this one because of the extended stay. Because the Pride docks in the dock yards, it isn't close enough to be feasible to just wander (Especially when you don't have a full day) aka "plan something else last minute."

As an aside, those who are stuck on the ship for an extra day - are they being prorated from a 7 to an 8 day cruise?

a stop in bermuda for that short a stay is not worth a cruise to bermuda. i recommend a 3 day stay for a worthwhile cruise, with at least 2 nights docked.

Archived