FRS Radios on Celebrity

WhyNott

My wife suggested bringing the FRS radios (Motorola) so that the kids could find us on board. Has anyone used the FRS radios on Celebrity? How was the reception. I'm thinking that the steel will cause lots of reception problems.

Since we're on the Millennium two of the ports are in the US, so we can use them there.

Thanks.

Most of the time they work. However, the other passengers may not be happy. :( Have been on cruises where they were used and they are like cell phones people talk loud and this upsets the people around them and sometimes even in the next stateroom. On our last cruise there was a man talking business on his cell phone in every port in the next stateroom and we could hear his every word.

Don't know how old your "Kids" are, but if you do take them have some rules as to how to using them and when. -- No calls to you if you are in dining room, if you are calling them go into a hall or your stateroom to call them & so on.

Yes, there radios work fine with decent reception in most places of the ship. As mentioned in the previous post, it is good to be mindful about using them unobtrusively while on board. That said, I noticed that these FRS radios were available for sale in the gift shop on the Horizon when we sailed her just yesterday.......

More detail on the rules you should follow to prevent the glares from fellow passengers:

1) Get the vibrate type and use on vibrate only.

2) Turn off the "chirp".

3) Tell the kids they are NOT to be used as a toy so no talking all the time.

4) Tell everyone they do not have to yell into them to be heard.

We used them on a family reuninon on Navigator of the Seas and they were invaluable.

P.S. Be prepared for someone to add to this that the fifth rule is throw them overboard. That attitude comes primarily from people who have encountered walkie talkies when the above rules were not followed.

Thanks for all the replies. It is worth taking them with us. I will warn the kids about proper use. I might leave the kids in the cabin at night and want them to be able to get in touch with us.

Archived