Need advice on sunscreen after skin cancer and waterproof bandaids

TwinCruiserMom

we use Mexi-tan products. They are biodegradeable and have the zinc oxide in them. It goes on white, but fades after a while. Not waterproof so you need to reapply after swimming. Leaves the skin feeling nice. My DS has vitiligo and he did not get burned at all using this product. He doesn't look so bad when he does not have a tan, but when he gets a tan on his "normal" skin, the vitiligo really shows up .... we call him Spot .... no not really.

I use the sun blocks for babies. I have had reactions to adult sun products. They sometimes leave me with what looks like a chemical burn. The sunblock for babies is normally zinc based and I use it on my face and body. I have used the Meijer brand, copertones brand and banana boat brand. I like them all, no greasy feel.

DH and I bought rash guards on our last cruise. We hate getting burnt, and since we cruise for two weeks at a time, we need to remain covered by the end of the cruise. I prefer Neutrogena sunscreen SPF 40+, as it feels great going on and does not feel greasy.

Neutrogena 50 and above--they make many different kinds you have to find one that works well on you.

dont forget the hat (not just a visor as the top of your head easily burns) and sunglasses.

I am definitely doing more research on Neutrogena and I know that one of the sunscreens we bring will be that brand. Thanks!

we use Mexi-tan products. They are biodegradeable and have the zinc oxide in them. It goes on white, but fades after a while. Not waterproof so you need to reapply after swimming. Leaves the skin feeling nice. My DS has vitiligo and he did not get burned at all using this product. He doesn't look so bad when he does not have a tan, but when he gets a tan on his "normal" skin, the vitiligo really shows up .... we call him Spot .... no not really.

Thanks, I will check out that brand :)

I use the sun blocks for babies. I have had reactions to adult sun products. They sometimes leave me with what looks like a chemical burn. The sunblock for babies is normally zinc based and I use it on my face and body. I have used the Meijer brand, copertones brand and banana boat brand. I like them all, no greasy feel.

The baby sunblock sounds like a good idea especially if it is not greasy and gentle to the skin. Thanks :)

I am also a fan of the big hat. I really love the sunhats that Coolibar has. Have you checked out their website yet? It's pretty awesome.

http://www.coolibar.com/

Have a great cruise!!

I too am a great big fan of Coolibar.com. This company started in Australia and all of Australia is very aware of skin cancer. Children are required to wear protective clothing and hats at school recess. Coolibar has a water jacket that is both lightweight and comfortable to wear and provides 80 spf. I bought mine just before my Galapagos Island trip in august and it was very much the easiest sun protection I have ever worn. Hat from Tilly and I am good to go.

And from my husband! Be very careful of your feet --thong shoes etc.

or feet that get out from cover can be a very painful reminder of how fast that sun can cause a major burn.

I am also a fan of the big hat. I really love the sunhats that Coolibar has. Have you checked out their website yet? It's pretty awesome.

http://www.coolibar.com/

Have a great cruise!!

I too am a great big fan of Coolibar.com. This company started in Australia and all of Australia is very aware of skin cancer. Children are required to wear protective clothing and hats at school recess. Coolibar has a water jacket that is both lightweight and comfortable to wear and provides 80 spf. I bought mine just before my Galapagos Island trip in august and it was very much the easiest sun protection I have ever worn. Hat from Tilly and I am good to go.

And from my husband! Be very careful of your feet --thong shoes etc.

or feet that get out from cover can be a very painful reminder of how fast that sun can cause a major burn.

I really have to look into spf clothing as it sure sounds like it will provide the added protection I need. Also, dh has a tendency to burn his feet in the sun - good reminder to slather the sunscreen on everywhere! Thanks so much :)

I think really the best sunblock is what ever type feels good on your skin, stays on, and is cheap enough you will use it everyday.

Thats why I use the baby stuff, after about 5 minutes I cant tell I put any thing on my skin. It stays on. And never has given me a chemical burn. Cheap and I can get it any where I buy my groceries.

I have oily skin still even though I am 53, so I rarely ever use body lotion, and never use any moisturizer on my face. But the baby sunblock doesn't bother me. I have used it daily for about 10 yrs now.

I have such problems with chemicals burning my skin that I only use baby shampoo to wash my face with. So my Doctor suggested the baby sunblock and explained that a zinc based one sits more on the skin rather than in the skin. But I get no color from the sun, as I use it on face, arms and neck everyday. I am fair skinned and so very pale. And the guys at work do tease me a bit about being so white.:o

I think really the best sunblock is what ever type feels good on your skin, stays on, and is cheap enough you will use it everyday.

Thats why I use the baby stuff, after about 5 minutes I cant tell I put any thing on my skin. It stays on. And never has given me a chemical burn. Cheap and I can get it any where I buy my groceries.

I have oily skin still even though I am 53, so I rarely ever use body lotion, and never use any moisturizer on my face. But the baby sunblock doesn't bother me. I have used it daily for about 10 yrs now.

I have such problems with chemicals burning my skin that I only use baby shampoo to wash my face with. So my Doctor suggested the baby sunblock and explained that a zinc based one sits more on the skin rather than in the skin. But I get no color from the sun, as I use it on face, arms and neck everyday. I am fair skinned and so very pale. And the guys at work do tease me a bit about being so white.:o

I also have oily skin and like a sunblock that is non greasy. I am going to try one of the baby products and see how it works for me.

Thanks so much for your advice :)

have not had skin cancer but fair skinned here. I have a rash guard shirt for when we do heavy water stuff. Best sunscreen I ever bought was in Europe. It has a different formulation than the US market. I have a sunblock 50 and can say I went to Mexico in April and it was hot ( 80-90) no base tan as I am in New England and I walked around for days and got 0 color. sorry a little rubbed off with my tank top so there was a small patch of red.

I used the skin intolerant milk and it is awesome. I am going to europe in Jan and plan on buying more sunblock.

http://www.garnier.co.uk/_en/_gb/our_products/range-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS^PRD_SUNCARE^AMBRE_SOLAIRE^AMBRE_SOLAIRE_HOME

have not had skin cancer but fair skinned here. I have a rash guard shirt for when we do heavy water stuff. Best sunscreen I ever bought was in Europe. It has a different formulation than the US market. I have a sunblock 50 and can say I went to Mexico in April and it was hot ( 80-90) no base tan as I am in New England and I walked around for days and got 0 color. sorry a little rubbed off with my tank top so there was a small patch of red.

I used the skin intolerant milk and it is awesome. I am going to europe in Jan and plan on buying more sunblock.

http://www.garnier.co.uk/_en/_gb/our_products/range-struct.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS^PRD_SUNCARE^AMBRE_SOLAIRE^AMBRE_SOLAIRE_HOME

Thanks for posting. Interesting products - I wonder why Garnier does not market these in the USA.

I need to stay protected from the sun for various medical reasons and have found that Neutrogena sunblocks (while pricey) work very well. Specifically those with Helioplex which is a broad spectrum formula (as someone else has already mentioned). I know you've already gotten numerous replies, but I just wanted to give another shout out for the Neutrogena. A wide brimmed hat can also do wonders. :)

I need to stay protected from the sun for various medical reasons and have found that Neutrogena sunblocks (while pricey) work very well. Specifically those with Helioplex which is a broad spectrum formula (as someone else has already mentioned). I know you've already gotten numerous replies, but I just wanted to give another shout out for the Neutrogena. A wide brimmed hat can also do wonders. :)

Another positive vote for Neutrogena! Thanks so much for writing :)

Archived